• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Credit Union has blocked ATM transactions in Spain

R

Roger M.

I belong to First Community Credit Union. Three months before departure I have found out that for my credit union, "All PIN and ATM transactions are blocked" in SPAIN.

So I think I am either faced with setting up another account at a different institution or possibly getting a pre-paid ATM card.

Has anyone else run into this? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Roger

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have you called them? They should be able to remove a block. A friend used a credit union card in Spain. Be sure you have a four digit PIN.

I should have noted in the thread I just created, that this applies to SPAIN only.

Roger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you called them? They should be able to remove a block. A friend used a credit union card in Spain. Be sure you have a four digit PIN.

Yes. They have blocked these type of transactions not just for me but for everyone using a First Community Credit Union card. The stated reason is due to high frequency of fraud in Spain.

Hi, Roger!

Go to AAA, get a Travel VISA card.

(It helps to notify your bank/CU issuer of your debit card of the amount of funds that you wish to transfer onto the VISA.)

Pre-load the card by paying cash or with your debit card then put it in a safe place until you travel.

1. This firewalls your home bank account from the VISA used.

2. A trusted friend or SO can add funds to the card account with cash or debit card if funds run low.

3. You will get a spare card that can stay at home ready to ship to you if you lose the one you are carrying.

4. Yes, you will have to protect the card's functions with a 4-digit PIN.

Buen Camino,

B

We too prefer to carry a cash card which therefore has no link to our normal account. Load it with euros and check the terms. Ours works in ATMs and also as a debit card. It is a Mastercard which is free to use in most ATMs but carries a 2€ charge per withdrawal from the card issuer. Visa seem to charge for using the ATM as well as the issuer charge. Our issuer also had a system where if a card was lost, stolen, swallowed terminally by the ATM or if fraud was attempted then the card could be blocked and the balance sent to the Correos by Western Union - all that would be needed was a phone call and certain details. Thankfully we have never had to do this
We only used the card in ATMs and then always paid in cash. We do carry a credit card as we can check the transactions are correct before paying the bill.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We only used the card in ATMs and then always paid in cash. We do carry a credit card as we can check the transactions are correct before paying the bill.

My procedure exactly! The credit card is used sparingly, if at all, as it useful only in the larger cities.

Yes - the AAA card has fees per transaction - $3 USD/transaction. This added about 2% to my expenses. In terms of total cash expenditure, it was far less than the time/income lost to un-snaffling a compromised card and account.

B

Another good idea is to load the cash card by paying cash. For us that was possible and avoided paying card commission fees for a money exchange. It also meant we could make several smaller cash withdrawals from our account and then make one deposit to the cash card to get an exchange rate in our favour - often better for higher amounts. Funds can be added at intervals before departure so it isn't a strain on finances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another good idea is to load the cash card by paying cash.

Perhaps. BUT...

...as you live in the States, Roger, keep cash withdrawals to pay to the card account at your ATM daily limits over a period of time lest your bank wish to have a chat with you about "suspicious activity".

No, really, I AM serious; there are regs that we live under here and they are very tetchy.

You only think it is YOUR money.:(

B

I use my Credit Union debit card to get cash from bank ATMs and I have a PIN and Strip VIAS credit card from the Andrews Federal Credit Union. It is the only PIN card available in the US at this time and they have offices in parts of Europe.. Many card readers in Europe can't read magnetic strip cards. I also carry a Capital One card. No overseas transaction fees with this card.
Be sure you notify all you card holders of when and where you are going to be in Europe. Don't and you could find yourself stranded without access to funds.

Get an international bank account with a bank such as ING, HSBC, or Lloyds. Stop letting your bank hold your money for ransom.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I belong to First Community Credit Union. Three months before departure I have found out that for my credit union, "All PIN and ATM transactions are blocked" in SPAIN.

So I think I am either faced with setting up another account at a different institution or possibly getting a pre-paid ATM card.

Thanks,

Roger
Charles Schwab has a checking account with ATM that has no foreign transaction fees. I found them to be very helpful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When my daughter traveled in Europe, I invested in a pre-paid card from TravelEx. She didn't seem to have any problems with the card. Also, I was able to get two linking cards so that I could add funds from here for her. I am planning on using this as a back-up solution on the Camino (hopefully next year).

Our credit union wanted dates of when we would be in what country, which was difficult because our plans were not definite. We identified France and Spain as the two countries we would be in. We ended up going to Portugal for a week or so, and our credit union promptly stopped our access to funds until we got back into Spain. So be careful about saying what countries you will be visiting and include any countries that are possibilities. On the other hand when we called Capital One credit card to tell them we would be traveling, they didn't care at all!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks,

Roger
I live in a small town in British Columbia and I walked the Camino in Sept-Oct 2013, never had a problem with my credit union debit/atm card. I did not even tell them I was going! Must be your credit union that's the problem.

I live in a small town in British Columbia and I walked the Camino in Sept-Oct 2013, never had a problem with my credit union debit/atm card. I did not even tell them I was going! Must be your credit union that's the problem.

I'd argue you should worry about your credit union. If somebody had stolen or cloned your card and used it abroad it seems they wouldn't have cared.

Unless you travel routinely to Spain your bank/credit union should find it suspicious if you start withdrawing money in Spain.

Hi, Roger!

Go to AAA, get a Travel VISA card.

(It helps to notify your bank/CU issuer of your debit card of the amount of funds that you wish to transfer onto the VISA.)

Pre-load the card by paying cash or with your debit card then put it in a safe place until you travel.

1. This firewalls your home bank account from the VISA used.

I just keep very little money in the account linked to my card. A few days of withdrawals at the most. It's very easy with internet banking for me to transfer a bit more money into the account when I need it.

If somebody steals my card at most they can get the little money in the linked account.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just keep very little money in the account linked to my card. A few days of withdrawals at the most. It's very easy with internet banking for me to transfer a bit more money into the account when I need it.

If somebody steals my card at most they can get the little money in the linked account.
NicoZ, Just curious - how secure is the internet connection when you transfer money from one account to another? Do you use the "weefee" along the Camino?

My bank is very security aware. To access my account

You need

1) My account number

2) My password

3) A second password generated by a little electronic device which is not connected to the net. This password changes each time you access the device.

4) The password to activate the electronic device.

So even if you manage to get my account number and the first password it does you no good.

They also block anything that looks unusual. They once blocked amazon.it because I normally buy from amazon.uk. I ended up having to phone and chat with them .

I'm not worried about wifi. I worry about losing my tablet.

We use a Canadian Credit Union and only found one bank ATM where we couldn't access money (can't remember the name). Sounds like your CU is overly cautious. We did meet some americans who could not use their mag only cards and were in a bit of a bind. Make sure you have Chip and Pin.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Had the same thing in santo domingo the atm and a shop denied my card, scared me, but then the next day my account worked in the atm.

Just run with a visa or mastercard debit and set a limit. I even thought about scratching off the online access code and having it somewhere else.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.