Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My flights and other transportation - I'm so scared to book

Tumbleweed

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
OMG - after months of searching and researching the sites for flights, I think I've settled on this itinerary. I fly out Sept 1.

Boise to Paris with one stop: 13 hour total flight - stay one night in Paris
Paris to Biarrtz via EasyJet - quick flight - train to SJPdP
Stay one night in SJPdP

Walk the Camino :D :arrow:
Stay one night in Santiago
Bus to Finisterra - stay one night - bus back to Santiago - stay the night

Santiago to Paris - 2 hour flight - stay one night in Paris -
Fly out Oct 15 - Paris to Boise with one stop: 13 hour flight

All these months I had planned on flying into Paris then flying out of Madrid - but no matter what I looked at the Madrid to Boise was so long and complicated.

:?: Should I book my short flights now? Paris to Biarritz: Santiago to Paris. I found awesome prices. I'm just so SCARED to book anything....why?

Help and encouragement needed. God Bless.
Angela

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The critical part of your plan is the flight Boise to Paris and Return.

Have you booked that yet?

Once you have that major part of the journey situated then the rest of the plan is easier.

Given I were certain of travel (that is tickets to Paris purchased), I would book the flight from Paris to Biarritz ... the prices tend to go up as the date approaches so now is the time ... and so what if you then don't go ... you'll be out maybe $75.00?

Its the Santiago end that has more uncertainty. Not everyone who starts is able to finish. You might walk slower or faster as planned. I'd leave the purchase of tickets at that end till your time appreciation has camino experience to back it and it looks to have you actually get there in good time. If you then can't get flights there are buses and trains that connect to Paris too.

Taking the bus to Finisterre is not very convenient for an overnight visit as it takes several hours each way. I'd suggest making 5 days available to walk there from Santiago.

I booked and bought tickets for Madrid to London (Easy Jet) the morning of travel. It cost a lot more than if I had purchased them well in advance but there were no problems buying that late either.

BornTo WalkAlone,

Perhaps at the beginning of your trip you might plan to rest bit either in Paris or at least in SJPdP; after a 13 hour flight from Idaho you will be pooped!

I agree with whariwharani that "the bus to Finisterre is not very convenient for an overnight visit as it takes several hours each way. I'd suggest making 5 days available to walk there from Santiago".

The camino from Santiago to Finisterre is a lovely way which I have walked several times. It would probably take you 3 or 4 days. It is especially beautiful when from the hill tops near Cee you can at last glimpse the sea and in the far distance Finisterre and the famous lighthouse. If you do plan to go the Galicia Tourist Office in Santiago at 30 rua de Vilar near the cathedral has a good free multilingual list of all services on the Finisterre/Muxia caminos.

Take your time,relax and enjoy each moment!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Margaret Meredith and whariwharani,

I thank you for your comments and advice. Margaret, I am planning on staying one night in Paris upon arrival and one night in St Jean. This will allow me time to adjust (jet lag) and relax before the walk.

To both of you, Without a doubt the walk to Finisterre must be a beautiful one however, I plan to take the bus to Finisterre knowing it is a 3 hour ride. I'm not sure I can spare the extra 4 to 5 days to walk from Santiago to Finisterre, but I can surely spare 6 hours to get there and back. I really want to go all the way to the coast, to me, 3 hours in a vehicle is nothing. We do road trips all the time, I'm thinking it will be worth it. Of course I will take the earliest bus so I have plenty of time to explore.

Thanks again for your input - I will be booking my round trip Paris flight no later than the end of this month. I'm so very excited.

Buen Camino
Anglea

Hi Angela,

I like your planning. Do it!

I've been fortunate to do many trips to several countries. I can do months of research and tell you everything there is about my trip. The hardest part for me? Booking my flight. Just looking at the "confirm" button makes my heart jump. It's always this way for me.

While I would also suggest walking to the sea, taking the bus works fine. On my first Camino, I took the bus and the next two I walked.

The one little bit I can add is that time spent in SdC. It is an amazing experience to arrive, and even just as much to be there the next day when the others you've met along the way "finish". It could be special to spend an extra night in SdC. Either way, you can't lose. Staying the night in Fisterre and watching the sunset can be quite emotional in all the right ways.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

BornToWalkAlone said:
Paris to Biarrtz via EasyJet - quick flight - train to SJPdP

:?: Should I book my short flights now? Paris to Biarritz: Santiago to Paris. I found awesome prices. I'm just so SCARED to book anything....why?

The discount carriers have variable pricing. The fuller the plane the higher the price gets. I don't know if Easyjet lets you change for free (unlikely) but usually you can change dates paying a fee and whatever difference there is between the new ticket and the old.

I don't see much of an issue with the Paris to Biarritz bit. It's the other way you might be late/early depending on your walking speed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Give yourself enough time in Paris to see the Tour st Jacques (st James Tower) Many pilgrims set off from there in medieval times.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
NicoZ said:
The discount carriers have variable pricing. The fuller the plane the higher the price gets. I don't know if Easyjet lets you change for free (unlikely) but usually you can change dates paying a fee and whatever difference there is between the new ticket and the old..
Unless you've booked Flexi tickets (much more expensive) Easyjet charges £35-00 for every change.

Thank you all for your suggestions and thank you Simeon for your encouragement, I wish you were going this year, would love to see you on the way.

I have decided to add 2 days to my Camino for a total of 42 (walking/resting etc), This does not include the pre Paris but does include continuing on to Finesterre by way of walking. I will have to take the bus back to SdC. God willing I will take my first step on Sept 4 from St Jean and finish back in Santiago on Oct 15.

I am used to walking a lot since I walk at work all day on concrete floor and now that I have started my training after work I hike 1000 ft incline (TableRock) in 45 minutes a few times a week. I will start training with my pack in the weeks to follow. I have many trails here to hike various incline and distance. I am in decent shape, by the time the Camino is here, I will be in better shape.

I have planned my days by the Brierley guide. 33 stages = 33 days from St Jean to SdC. Thanks for giving me the thought to walk to Finesterre, I'm sure it will be unforgettable.

Buen Camino and God Bless, :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the kind words Angela. Agreed, it would be nice to be on the Camino this summer.

This sounds like a great plan of days walking. Very happy to see you can include Fisterre as well. Did you know your Camino has already begun? It has.

I'm also quite jealous you get to spend some time in Paris. Ahh...I love Paris.

I like your training as well. It does take a long time to get used to one's Camino clothes, shoes, pack. The more training I do, the more I enjoy my walks. In fact, there are many days I can walk more at home than I would on the Camino. I also pack my bag heavier than I would ever take with me. If there are cold rainy days to prevent walking outside, I go to my gym with full pack and Camino shoes to walk on treadmill with incline. I look like a dork, but it's for the greater cause.

The best we can do is have a "skeleton plan". On some days you'll be on top of the world and can walk forever. Then there are some days when it's best to sit, relax, enjoy a town, heal, play with puppies, share some chocolate and wine.

In all of this, I wish you the best of all journeys.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Most read last week in this forum

Round the corner and up the hill from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, about 50m away, is the Faculty of Medicine's huge cafeteria that must be able to seat between 200 and 300 people. They have a...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
Well sorry for the long absence! I dropped offline and into Camino life and can't wait to go back (but unfortunately it won't be soon)! I won't say the Camino was an easy experience for me, or...
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m...
Hi all. I’m sitting in the sun on this spectacular day in the Pyrenees at the statue of Mary and Jesus. A glorious day. Thank you to all the weather Gods. Perhaps June / July are the best walking...
If you take the route to Ventosa after Navarette there is a brand new bar/cafe I highly recommend. They've been open 4 days as of today June 12 . A local bee keeper started it and it is great...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back