• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Introduction

reynolds303

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (Planned for 2020, will attempt in future)
Hi all,

My name is Paul and I'm from Colorado. I've felt called to walk the Camino de Santiago for a long time now. When I was 17, I visited Spain for the first time, where I studied in Santiago de Compostela for about 5 weeks. Our residence hall and classes for our program were in the HospederĂ­a San MartĂ­n Pinario, right next to the cathedral. Every day from our classroom, we could see hundreds of pilgrims walking past the side of the cathedral towards the Plaza del Obradoiro. I had never heard about the Camino beforehand, but obviously interacted with many pilgrims while I was there, from so many different countries. I was so impressed by their adventures, and always had it in the back of my mind that I'd like to go back to Spain someday to do it.

Well, fast forward 15 years, I've been back to Spain several times, but have yet to do a Camino and return to Santiago de Compostela. Being a Spanish teacher, I've taught my students about the Camino de Santiago, and even wrote about how it has evolved over the centuries as my thesis for my master's from the University of Salamanca. I love Spain, and I am excited to experience the Camino as a pilgrim this upcoming summer. I have been torn trying to pick between the Francés and Norte routes. As of now, I'm leaning towards the Francés, since I've read that the Norte is a bit more challenging with its steep descents (still getting back to full strength after knee surgery from last winter), but I'll make my decision in another month or two. I'm excited for the experience!

ETA 28/1/20: Decided on the Camino Francés. I'm very excited and am looking forward to my first Camino this summer.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - great post. As your thesis was about the development of the camino over time you may be making a mistake here by pondering which camino using terrain as your benchmark.

Surely the Frances is your camino path? that is the mother river of caminos, that is where most feet trod .... go to the Frances (now renamed camino de Santiago but always the Frances to me).

You were called, you have answered - how perfect. Enjoy.

Buen Camino!

Agree entirely with David the french way was the camino which im sure started most members introduction to the Camino .
Its the gateway camino to the others in my view , after the French way i did the portugese whlst planning the via de la plata whilst plannng the Norte and throughout that time ive always returned to the French way for a week at a time to get my Camino “fix”.
good luck and welcome to the Forum Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As of now, I'm leaning towards the Francés, since I've read that the Norte is a bit more challenging with its steep descents.
Having walked both the Frances (twice) and the Del Norte, I wouldn't walk the Frances again. Not because the Frances isn't worthwile, because it is!!! I like to meet other pilgrims, but just not in great numbers. But, if I was planning my first Camino, I'd probably choose the Frances.

That having said, I enjoyed them both very much. Personally, I feel that comparing different Caminos with each other is pointless. I couldn't possibly say which one is "better". Both are very different and each has it's own stunning beauty.

But it's true, the Del Norte is more challenging. I'm not a doctor, but do take your knee problem into consideration. If your knee might possibly cause problems, you could avoid having any early problems by starting at Roncesvalles (or Pamplona). That way you don't have to climb the Pyrenees on your first day.

Or take the Valcarlos route instead of the Napoleon route. That way you'll still have to climb (and descend), but just not that much. Further along the Frances you'll get the chance to test your legs on the climb to O'Cebreiro... But by then your body and legs will be used to walking.

Take care and make whatever decision is right for you!!

Buen Camino

Hi - great post. As your thesis was about the development of the camino over time you may be making a mistake here by pondering which camino using terrain as your benchmark.

Surely the Frances is your camino path? that is the mother river of caminos, that is where most feet trod .... go to the Frances (now renamed camino de Santiago but always the Frances to me).

You were called, you have answered - how perfect. Enjoy.

Buen Camino!

You will also find that agreeing with most everything David says and writes places you in a very good position as regards actually doing the Camino.;)

Hi all,

My name is Paul and I'm from Colorado. I've felt called to walk the Camino de Santiago for a long time now. When I was 17, I visited Spain for the first time, where I studied in Santiago de Compostela for about 5 weeks. Our residence hall and classes for our program were in the HospederĂ­a San MartĂ­n Pinario, right next to the cathedral. Every day from our classroom, we could see hundreds of pilgrims walking past the side of the cathedral towards the Plaza del Obradoiro. I had never heard about the Camino beforehand, but obviously interacted with many pilgrims while I was there, from so many different countries. I was so impressed by their adventures, and always had it in the back of my mind that I'd like to go back to Spain someday to do it.

Well, fast forward 15 years, I've been back to Spain several times, but have yet to do a Camino and return to Santiago de Compostela. Being a Spanish teacher, I've taught my students about the Camino de Santiago, and even wrote about how it has evolved over the centuries as my thesis for my master's from the University of Salamanca. I love Spain, and I am excited to experience the Camino as a pilgrim this upcoming summer. I have been torn trying to pick between the Francés and Norte routes. As of now, I'm leaning towards the Francés, since I've read that the Norte is a bit more challenging with its steep descents (still getting back to full strength after knee surgery from last winter), but I'll make my decision in another month or two. I'm excited for the experience!
Hi Reynolds, I was in two minds for my first Camino in September 2018, as I was mightily impressed by the coastal views on El Norte, but there were far less people, and I had heard that there was more asphalt bashing to be done on El Norte. A friend of mine who had previously walked both the Frances, Portugues and the Norte advised me to walk the Frances as I too was getting over some health issues and he thought the extra company would be good for me. I actually picked up my credential in IrĂşn while on holiday in the Basque Country, but I went on to Saint Jean Pied de Port to sleep on it. Well, I can tell you that on my first evening in SJPP it was so magical and emotional that I decided to start my Camino there, 50 days later I arrived in Finisterra. It was one of the most unforgettable experiences of my life. Wishing you a Buen Camino, whichever one you choose - or more the case: whichever one chooses you :)

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the words of welcome & the advice.

David, I may be overthinking it. 15 years ago, I just always assumed that I'd be doing the Camino Francés. Seeing "The Way" only further reinforced my interest in doing that route. Recently, I spoke with a couple of my friends who've done several Caminos themselves, and they encouraged me to look into the Norte. Part of the appeal of the Norte to me was that I hadn't been to any of the cities along the northern coast (whereas I had spent time in both Burgos & León before), and I also thought maybe it'd be better to escape the heat on the Meseta in the summer. I've always wanted to do the Francés though, so I'll probably find myself walking that route in 7 months time.

Welcome, Reynolds! What a wonderful story. Stay in San Martin at the end of your camino to close the circle.

I'd say walk the Francés at least as far as Ponferrada. Then if you want a quieter and deeply historic alternative from there you can walk the Invierno - which goes through both Las Medulas and the Ribeira Sacra. There is a lot of information here on the forum that's well worth reading; here's something to get you started:

Buen camino!

Hi all,

Welcome and Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.