• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My New Gear the Verdict

Agnogel

A very great full pilgrim
Hi All
First to say i am a total novice to walking i was never good at it to many old work related injurys falling off ladders etc etc , to cut a very long story short i have recently being diagnosed a type 2 diabetic as i am in the early stages i have a very good chance to halt its progress by diet and exercise i need to lose about 30 kilos ( i have lost 10 kilos in the last 10 weeks) and have taken up walking as an exercise program, hard as it is for myself,
I had planned to take in the camino as part of a motorcycle trip next year that included a stop in Santiago on the way to Portugal but after the diagnosis i have set my self a goal to walk it instead. I am in the process of purchasing the goods i will need to carry or walk in, i have read the tips on the forum from other members regarding all that is required and have visited a few outdoor shops here, The main issues i keep reading about is the weight of the backpack and all that is to fit inside or on my person and so my search began for light weight gear and good walking shoes etc etc, As like anything special its not cheap at least not in the shops here so i have been trawling the good old internet for bargins.
The frst item i bought was this 40L back pack http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321184283138...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 its water repellant but i also bought a rain proof cover from the same seller, I took this pack loaded with 10kgs on a two hour hill hike this morning its fits very comfortably on my back with good support and plenty of adjustable clips and straps that are secured with elastic retainers for the over hang for all sorts of configorations, it has easy access to all the compartments and leaves nothing hanging loose on the pack unlike others i have seen all round i am very pleased with it.
The next item is rain gear i have plenty of this stuff for the motorcycle but its not suitable for walking in so as i intend to walk the my camino in late August and September i purchased a light two peice rain suite from a Tresspass store here http://www.trespass.co.uk/qikpac-pant-03198
http://www.trespass.co.uk/qikpac-jacket-03062 these items are on sale at the moment and i got the set for 69 euros, i have worn them for the last two weeks on my daily walks with driving rain and wind some in excess of 100km p/h with no problems i wore a fleese under neat and at times i felt i did not need it to keep warm as the wind and water proofing is excelent only on one occasion after a good uphill walk was there ever so slight moisture from my body on the inside lineing, again i would have no problem wearing these on the motorcycle if they fit with all the heavy bike gear under neat.

I got a slik sleeping bag liner (Not treated for bed bugs i will do that my self) very cheap off ebay they were looking for 27 euros in the outdoor shps here i have not used this yet and i will update when i do so in warmer weather http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290601235979...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
also i have on order a light weight and small in volume sleeping bag again i will update when it arrives in early January http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nh-s...-bag-adult-child-dual-purpose/1146777231.html

Now the most important item the walking shoes i have only discovered i have fallen arches after reading all the posts on foot problems and correct shoe size so in late Novemebr i visited a local shoe maker to get my correct size before i went and bought a pair of walking shoes (I cant wear boots because of old ankel injurys including cutting my Achilles nearly in half as a small boy) He took one look at my feet and informed me that i needed orthortic inserts to correct the imbalance i received them two weeks before Christmas and am in the process of breaking them in. Yesterday i purchased in the sales a pair of hi tec shoes with 20% off http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/alto-wp-smokeybrown-lighttaupe-charteuse.html
As per the great advice on the forum i bought a size larger to allow my feet to swell and for extra room when going down hill, I went for a 4km walk last night around my home town and was quiet supprised at the level of comfort in them on the hike this morning they realy came into play as i hiked up with ease a 350 meter hill on a very rugged stoney path i would think more rugged than on the camino (see photo attached) i could not feel any sharp or loose stones penatrating the sole of the shoes and even stepped in a few frozen puddles to test the water proofing, on the down hill side i could see how a lot of pilgrims have issues with this as it can realy stretch the mussles in your legs but over all i am a happy camper with what i have so far i have a few other things like a micro towel and wicking tee shirts and underwere that are doing what they say on the packet i hope this helps future novices like my self please feel free to chime in with your own comments and your gear, i will update the other items when they arrive
Buen Canino

Attachments

• stones.jpg
    stones.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 40
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Agnogel , and be welcome to the Forum :)

First of all, congratulations for your decision to walk the Camiño, I'm sure you will like it.

About your gear review: I'm also the owner of a Quechua 40L backpack, but the old model, not that one. I think that the new model it's very neat, but for me, they should have maintained a larger open zipper to access the inside of the backpack. My model goes from the bottom, almost until the top zipper. You can see it in here: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-40-backpack-id_8172702.HTML

For the rain gear, I think that you went for a great choice. I also have a kit that I've put together, but with diferente brands, The jacket is from Quechua, and the pants are from Regatta. I've paied 20€ for the complete set.

Your sleeping bag it's not so diferente from mine. I have a BERG ultralight sleeping bag, almost with the same size. I think that it's a little bit heavier, but it's almost the same. The shoes, well, I'm not going to say anything, they are from Hi Tec, a brand that I use and that I have total confidence with :D

I can give you some advice for you about the gear. Since you live in the UK, try SportsDirect.com. I buy a lot of things from them, and have them delivered at home or at work, here in Portugal. Great service and great things. You also have millets.co.uk ;)

I think that you are on the "correct" way for you to do it. Keep us updated :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Oh, and by the way, about the backpack, it's the 10kg including food and water?

Best Regards
Diogo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, and by the way, about the backpack, it's the 10kg including food and water?

Best Regards
Diogo
Hi Diago thanks for the reply i know about the food i had a 1 liter flask of coffee the temp was 1 degree when i started out with a wind chill of -5 and a 75ml bottle of water and two large sandwichs and some fruit plus food for my dog Nuby who was with me also i was out for the day not just the walk as you can tell i am like a child in a toy store all my Christmas have arrived together by the way i live in Ireland Millets closed down in the recession and the gear in general is quiet expensive here no great compatition but i am allways up for a bargin when i see or here of one

Hola Agnogel. Looks and sounds like you have acted on a well thought out plan for the Camino. Buena Suerta!! Ed

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum. What a gift you have received....the prompting to improve your health. You will treasure this opportunity for the rest of your days.

Just a word of warning: don't underestimate Spanish stones.....

There is not a day goes by i dont learn something new Thank You

Hi Agnogel and welcome.
As other have mentioned it looks like you are on the right track as far as clothing and equipment is concerned.
I will only agree that correct footwear is the most important item, followed by pack weight.
Keep it as light as possible.
On average it's a reasonably dry and cool time in Spain, but you never know.
If you consider taking something 'just in case', leave it in a case, at home.
You are going to have a great time.
Buen Camino
Regds
Gerard

Hi All
First to say i am a total novice to walking i was never good at it to many old work related injurys falling off ladders etc etc , to cut a very long story short i have recently being diagnosed a type 2 diabetic as i am in the early stages i have a very good chance to halt its progress by diet and exercise i need to lose about 30 kilos ( i have lost 10 kilos in the last 10 weeks) and have taken up walking as an exercise program, hard as it is for myself,
I had planned to take in the camino as part of a motorcycle trip next year that included a stop in Santiago on the way to Portugal but after the diagnosis i have set my self a goal to walk it instead. I am in the process of purchasing the goods i will need to carry or walk in, i have read the tips on the forum from other members regarding all that is required and have visited a few outdoor shops here, The main issues i keep reading about is the weight of the backpack and all that is to fit inside or on my person and so my search began for light weight gear and good walking shoes etc etc, As like anything special its not cheap at least not in the shops here so i have been trawling the good old internet for bargins.
The frst item i bought was this 40L back pack http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321184283138...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 its water repellant but i also bought a rain proof cover from the same seller, I took this pack loaded with 10kgs on a two hour hill hike this morning its fits very comfortably on my back with good support and plenty of adjustable clips and straps that are secured with elastic retainers for the over hang for all sorts of configorations, it has easy access to all the compartments and leaves nothing hanging loose on the pack unlike others i have seen all round i am very pleased with it.
The next item is rain gear i have plenty of this stuff for the motorcycle but its not suitable for walking in so as i intend to walk the my camino in late August and September i purchased a light two peice rain suite from a Tresspass store here http://www.trespass.co.uk/qikpac-pant-03198
http://www.trespass.co.uk/qikpac-jacket-03062 these items are on sale at the moment and i got the set for 69 euros, i have worn them for the last two weeks on my daily walks with driving rain and wind some in excess of 100km p/h with no problems i wore a fleese under neat and at times i felt i did not need it to keep warm as the wind and water proofing is excelent only on one occasion after a good uphill walk was there ever so slight moisture from my body on the inside lineing, again i would have no problem wearing these on the motorcycle if they fit with all the heavy bike gear under neat.

I got a slik sleeping bag liner (Not treated for bed bugs i will do that my self) very cheap off ebay they were looking for 27 euros in the outdoor shps here i have not used this yet and i will update when i do so in warmer weather http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290601235979...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
also i have on order a light weight and small in volume sleeping bag again i will update when it arrives in early January http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nh-s...-bag-adult-child-dual-purpose/1146777231.html

Now the most important item the walking shoes i have only discovered i have fallen arches after reading all the posts on foot problems and correct shoe size so in late Novemebr i visited a local shoe maker to get my correct size before i went and bought a pair of walking shoes (I cant wear boots because of old ankel injurys including cutting my Achilles nearly in half as a small boy) He took one look at my feet and informed me that i needed orthortic inserts to correct the imbalance i received them two weeks before Christmas and am in the process of breaking them in. Yesterday i purchased in the sales a pair of hi tec shoes with 20% off http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/alto-wp-smokeybrown-lighttaupe-charteuse.html
As per the great advice on the forum i bought a size larger to allow my feet to swell and for extra room when going down hill, I went for a 4km walk last night around my home town and was quiet supprised at the level of comfort in them on the hike this morning they realy came into play as i hiked up with ease a 350 meter hill on a very rugged stoney path i would think more rugged than on the camino (see photo attached) i could not feel any sharp or loose stones penatrating the sole of the shoes and even stepped in a few frozen puddles to test the water proofing, on the down hill side i could see how a lot of pilgrims have issues with this as it can realy stretch the mussles in your legs but over all i am a happy camper with what i have so far i have a few other things like a micro towel and wicking tee shirts and underwere that are doing what they say on the packet i hope this helps future novices like my self please feel free to chime in with your own comments and your gear, i will update the other items when they arrive
Buen Canino

You seem to have things fairly well sorted. Good on you! In particular, getting your feet properly assessed and buying appropriately sized footwear will go a LONG way towards making your Camino experience more enjoyable. I would suggest that, as you stated you have Type II Diabetes, that you pay particular attention to the care and feeding of your feet, both in training, and whilst on Camino.

There is a plethora of information across several threads in this forum. You can use the search function to look for posts Specifically relating to foot care. You can also search for posts relating to people with specific health issues like diabetes. You will likely meet many people with both type I and II diabetes along the Camino Frances.

In particular, you may wish to look for all posts by a late forum member and 11-time pilgrim. His user ID on the forum was "MethodistPilgrim98" His name is Rev. Philip J. Wren. Philip was a most remarkable person and the forum members who made his acquaintance miss him.

I was privileged to walk with Philip for a week in April -May 2013, from St. Jean to Logrono. He passed away in his sleep there, on 01 May. Phil suffered from type I diabetes, had to carry insulin with him in an insulated bag, and wore an insulin injection pump.

Phil never allowed his several serious chronic health issues to dissuade him from continuing to walk the Camino. It was his passion. He wrote many, many posts dealing with both foot care and dealing with the Camino as a long-time diabetic. He was also a very active member and resource "go to person" for the UK based Confraternity of St. James (CSJ).

So, I would tend to take Philip Wren's advice seriously. Over the years, he helped hundreds of pilgrims. Remarkably, his many posts, across many subjects, continue to help pilgrims even after he is no longer with us. His spirit and helpful advice remain. I will miss him.

My other, hopefully constructive suggestion, which I do not see mentioned yet in this thread is the use of hiking or walking poles. These are height-adjustable, usually tubular aluminum poles, with cork or rubber- like hand grips and a wrist strap. If you have a Decathlon store handy, they will carry many different models at different price points.

You may even know someone from whom you can borrow a set of poles. They are not gender specific. However, they are left and right-hand specific - the hand grips are usually contoured differently for each hand. The correct length / height is achieved when your arm, with hand properly in the strap and on the hand-grip, is bent at 90 degrees at the elbow.

There are varying schools of thought about using these poles. Some people do not like them. Others prefer a single walking staff. Other folks like me swear by them - walking / hiking poles. However, as fellow "stoutly built" person, I cannot imaging attempting the Camino without using them. Search on the forum and make your own decision. I personally prefer twist-adjustable Leki brand poles. But there are many comparable makes and styles available.

Used properly, these poles can transfer as much as 25% of your total rucksack weight from your back and shoulders to your arms. This results in an easier walking gait, and improved traction going up hills - as you tend to "pull yourself up" at the same time your legs are pushing. The overall result is a more relaxed walking pace, increased stability, and at least in my experience, reduced effort.

Perhaps more importantly, on a down-hill stretch, the poles provide a much wider safety margin by adding stability. You can place a pole ahead, then step cautiously, preventing falls. Falling DOWN a slope is always more dangerous that tripping and falling whilst climbing up a path.;)

I hope this helps you and others planning their first Camino.

Happy New Year to all!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You seem to have things fairly well sorted. Good on you! In particular, getting your feet properly assessed and buying appropriately sized footwear will go a LONG way towards making your Camino experience more enjoyable. I would suggest that, as you stated you have Type II Diabetes, that you pay particular attention to the care and feeding of your feet, both in training, and whilst on Camino.

There is a plethora of information across several threads in this forum. You can use the search function to look for posts Specifically relating to foot care. You can also search for posts relating to people with specific health issues like diabetes. You will likely meet many people with both type I and II diabetes along the Camino Frances.

In particular, you may wish to look for all posts by a late forum member and 11-time pilgrim. His user ID on the forum was "MethodistPilgrim98" His name is Rev. Philip J. Wren. Philip was a most remarkable person and the forum members who made his acquaintance miss him.

I was privileged to walk with Philip for a week in April -May 2013, from St. Jean to Logrono. He passed away in his sleep there, on 01 May. Phil suffered from type I diabetes, had to carry insulin with him in an insulated bag, and wore an insulin injection pump.

Phil never allowed his several serious chronic health issues to dissuade him from continuing to walk the Camino. It was his passion. He wrote many, many posts dealing with both foot care and dealing with the Camino as a long-time diabetic. He was also a very active member and resource "go to person" for the UK based Confraternity of St. James (CSJ).

So, I would tend to take Philip Wren's advice seriously. Over the years, he helped hundreds of pilgrims. Remarkably, his many posts, across many subjects, continue to help pilgrims even after he is no longer with us. His spirit and helpful advice remain. I will miss him.

My other, hopefully constructive suggestion, which I do not see mentioned yet in this thread is the use of hiking or walking poles. These are height-adjustable, usually tubular aluminum poles, with cork or rubber- like hand grips and a wrist strap. If you have a Decathlon store handy, they will carry many different models at different price points.

You may even know someone from whom you can borrow a set of poles. They are not gender specific. However, they are left and right-hand specific - the hand grips are usually contoured differently for each hand. The correct length / height is achieved when your arm, with hand properly in the strap and on the hand-grip, is bent at 90 degrees at the elbow.

There are varying schools of thought about using these poles. Some people do not like them. Others prefer a single walking staff. Other folks like me swear by them - walking / hiking poles. However, as fellow "stoutly built" person, I cannot imaging attempting the Camino without using them. Search on the forum and make your own decision. I personally prefer twist-adjustable Leki brand poles. But there are many comparable makes and styles available.

Used properly, these poles can transfer as much as 25% of your total rucksack weight from your back and shoulders to your arms. This results in an easier walking gait, and improved traction going up hills - as you tend to "pull yourself up" at the same time your legs are pushing. The overall result is a more relaxed walking pace, increased stability, and at least in my experience, reduced effort.

Perhaps more importantly, on a down-hill stretch, the poles provide a much wider safety margin by adding stability. You can place a pole ahead, then step cautiously, preventing falls. Falling DOWN a slope is always more dangerous that tripping and falling whilst climbing up a path.;)

I hope this helps you and others planning their first Camino.

Happy New Year to all!
Hi T Thanks for taking the time to post the reply i will certinly look up Philips advice i know how importent it is to look after my feet thats why when i was diagnosed i made the decision to treat this as a life style change because i enjoy life too much to trow it all away, hence the camino walk, I did not mention that i have been useing a hiking pole for the last couple of months with great effect i am in the process of making my own staff as i want to take something thats personal to me on the camino i have it made i just have to add the detail and i hope to have it blessed before i walk, it will be inscribed with the name of my Guardian Angel among other things as i dont get out of the bed in the morning with out him, as you can probley tell at this stage the walk is more than just a long walk for me its a huge challange, it will be part of my body and soul for the rest of my life.
Thanks again keep the tips coming
Peter

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi T Thanks for taking the time to post the reply i will certinly look up Philips advice i know how importent it is to look after my feet thats why when i was diagnosed i made the decision to treat this as a life style change because i enjoy life too much to trow it all away, hence the camino walk, I did not mention that i have been useing a hiking pole for the last couple of months with great effect i am in the process of making my own staff as i want to take something thats personal to me on the camino i have it made i just have to add the detail and i hope to have it blessed before i walk, it will be inscribed with the name of my Guardian Angel among other things as i dont get out of the bed in the morning with out him, as you can probley tell at this stage the walk is more than just a long walk for me its a huge challange, it will be part of my body and soul for the rest of my life.
Thanks again keep the tips coming
Peter

Peter:

Please bear in mind how you anticipate getting from Ireland to your Camino starting point. You cannot take metal-tipped hiking / trekking poles into an airplane cabin as a carry-on item (some people believe they can be used as a weapon - actually they CAN - but that is for a different forum...;)). I have also read in this forum that the Eurostar will also not accept them in the passenger carriages on the cross channel run.

Moreover, a longer hiking staff, such as you say you are making, will also need to be checked as it is too long to be brought into the cabin. This is also discussed extensively elsewhere on this forum. You might search on "hiking staff," "walking staff," etc.

It MIGHT, (a REALLY BIG "IF" here) and this is something that needs to be researched and verified, be possible to take a sectioned, long hiking staff on board with you as a "walking aid." DO not take my word for it. Check it out yourself. Make some phone calls locally. Let me explain...

Most airlines permit walking aids (e.g. canes or crutches) in the cabin. Some airlines do not even consider them a carry-on item as you need them to walk - ostensibly. But they will not permit anything that could be dangerous.

On the other hand, many infirm folks walk with two canes, so there is no reason why you cannot camouflage a custom-made 2-piece hiking staff as two, custom canes. You just need to be clever about disguising them as canes so they are not mistaken.

So, if you were very clever, had access to the tools or machinery, and if you made your - say five foot long hiking pole as 2 - 30 inch sections that screwed together with a threaded ferrule (male and female sections), there might be a way to make this work. If you use two tennis balls with "X" shaped cuts in them for grip, or something similar at the top of the pole sections as "grip handles" and two rubber crutch tips on the "lower" end, you might be able to carry it off as a duplicate set of canes - i.e. "walking aids."

Once you arrive on the mainland and are out of the airport / train station, remove the punctured tennis balls (or other "false" top), and the rubber crutch tips, reverse the poles and thread the ferrule together snugly. Reattach whatever decorative top you have for your hiking staff, and "voila" you have a five-foot hiking staff. Of course, you can vary the half-way mark depending on the overall length of the hiking staff. Put your thinking cap on...;)

But I am just thinking out of the box here. I do recall seeing posts some time ago about people who had threaded, sectioned hiking staffs and evidently had no problem bringing them on board. However, in my experience, these walking aids have to be convincing to both the check-in and security staff at an airport or train station.

I have no idea how long hiking staffs, or adjustable hiking poles are treated on the long distance ferry boats. Perhaps others with direct knowledge can jump in here with recommendations.

I just do not want you to arrive at the Ryanair or Easyjet check-in counter only to be told you cannot take your much loved hiking staff or poles. On the other hand, if you planned to check-it and your rucksack all along, this is a moot point. Just be sure to prearrange and prepay for it. Otherwise it will cost you a bundle at the last minute.

Personally, I collapse my hiking poles to their minimum length (@ 24 inches) place them in the bottom of an Eagle Creek 24 inch duffel bag I have. I then insert my loaded rucksack into the duffel - shoulder straps and back panel facing down. It takes some pushing and shoving, but it does fit. This way the rucksack conforms nicely to the curved top of the duffel bag - like a hand in a glove.

My 48-liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack fits perfectly, as long as I remove some of the clothing and personal items that I need to carry on board in my über lightweight Sea-to-Summit 20 liter day pack in "UltraSil" nylon. For example, all my prescription medications, spare eyeglasses, electronics, and documents come with me in the day bag. Anything sharp like my Swiss Army Knife goes into the duffle with the rucksack.

This small bag travels the Camino with me as my shopping bag and city bag when I do not need the rucksack. When stuffed in the attached sack, it is the same size as a tennis ball, and clips to my shoulder harness nicely.

Then I just check the duffel bag and forget about it until Paris... Once in Paris, I unpack the bag and assemble the rucksack for use. The collapsed walking sticks attach to the rucksack for transport on buses and trains. At the first stop in Spain with a post office, I post the duffel down the road to Ivar Rekve to hold for me. Ivar is the fellow who runs this web forum. In Spain you can ship a "Cabo Verde Mediana" - a green and white box about the size of a large shoe box to Santiago for about 10 Euros. I get rid of things like souvenirs I bought early, the duffel bag, my house keys and anything else I decide at the last minute I will not need until Santiago. If you start at St. Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles, the first post office is in Pamplona.

I hope this helps.

Peter:

Please bear in mind how you anticipate getting from Ireland to your Camino starting point. You cannot take metal-tipped hiking / trekking poles into an airplane cabin as a carry-on item (some people believe they can be used as a weapon - actually they CAN - but that is for a different forum...;)). I have also read in this forum that the Eurostar will also not accept them in the passenger carriages on the cross channel run.

Moreover, a longer hiking staff, such as you say you are making, will also need to be checked as it is too long to be brought into the cabin. This is also discussed extensively elsewhere on this forum. You might search on "hiking staff," "walking staff," etc.

It MIGHT, (a REALLY BIG "IF" here) and this is something that needs to be researched and verified, be possible to take a sectioned, long hiking staff on board with you as a "walking aid." DO not take my word for it. Check it out yourself. Make some phone calls locally. Let me explain...

Most airlines permit walking aids (e.g. canes or crutches) in the cabin. Some airlines do not even consider them a carry-on item as you need them to walk - ostensibly. But they will not permit anything that could be dangerous.

On the other hand, many infirm folks walk with two canes, so there is no reason why you cannot camouflage a custom-made 2-piece hiking staff as two, custom canes. You just need to be clever about disguising them as canes so they are not mistaken.

So, if you were very clever, had access to the tools or machinery, and if you made your - say five foot long hiking pole as 2 - 30 inch sections that screwed together with a threaded ferrule (male and female sections), there might be a way to make this work. If you use two tennis balls with "X" shaped cuts in them for grip, or something similar at the top of the pole sections as "grip handles" and two rubber crutch tips on the "lower" end, you might be able to carry it off as a duplicate set of canes - i.e. "walking aids."

Once you arrive on the mainland and are out of the airport / train station, remove the punctured tennis balls (or other "false" top), and the rubber crutch tips, reverse the poles and thread the ferrule together snugly. Reattach whatever decorative top you have for your hiking staff, and "voila" you have a five-foot hiking staff. Of course, you can vary the half-way mark depending on the overall length of the hiking staff. Put your thinking cap on...;)

But I am just thinking out of the box here. I do recall seeing posts some time ago about people who had threaded, sectioned hiking staffs and evidently had no problem bringing them on board. However, in my experience, these walking aids have to be convincing to both the check-in and security staff at an airport or train station.

I have no idea how long hiking staffs, or adjustable hiking poles are treated on the long distance ferry boats. Perhaps others with direct knowledge can jump in here with recommendations.

I just do not want you to arrive at the Ryanair or Easyjet check-in counter only to be told you cannot take your much loved hiking staff or poles. On the other hand, if you planned to check-it and your rucksack all along, this is a moot point. Just be sure to prearrange and prepay for it. Otherwise it will cost you a bundle at the last minute.

Personally, I collapse my hiking poles to their minimum length (@ 24 inches) place them in the bottom of an Eagle Creek 24 inch duffel bag I have. I then insert my loaded rucksack into the duffel - shoulder straps and back panel facing down. It takes some pushing and shoving, but it does fit. This way the rucksack conforms nicely to the curved top of the duffel bag - like a hand in a glove.

My 48-liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack fits perfectly, as long as I remove some of the clothing and personal items that I need to carry on board in my über lightweight Sea-to-Summit 20 liter day pack in "UltraSil" nylon. For example, all my prescription medications, spare eyeglasses, electronics, and documents come with me in the day bag. Anything sharp like my Swiss Army Knife goes into the duffle with the rucksack.

This small bag travels the Camino with me as my shopping bag and city bag when I do not need the rucksack. When stuffed in the attached sack, it is the same size as a tennis ball, and clips to my shoulder harness nicely.

Then I just check the duffel bag and forget about it until Paris... Once in Paris, I unpack the bag and assemble the rucksack for use. The collapsed walking sticks attach to the rucksack for transport on buses and trains. At the first stop in Spain with a post office, I post the duffel down the road to Ivar Rekve to hold for me. Ivar is the fellow who runs this web forum. In Spain you can ship a "Cabo Verde Mediana" - a green and white box about the size of a large shoe box to Santiago for about 10 Euros. I get rid of things like souvenirs I bought early, the duffel bag, my house keys and anything else I decide at the last minute I will not need until Santiago. If you start at St. Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles, the first post office is in Pamplona.

I hope this helps.
Good God Tom you must be a mind reader :cool: the staff in question is in fact a two peice 4ft 6ins with the ferrule joint it is made from red oak with a lovely pear wood (with for it) gear shift knob off a Jaguar xj12 that just feels like it is an extension of your hand. I am going to pack it in a heavy cardboard tube strapped to my backpack loaded into the hold of the plane i will be carrying a small knife with me hence the pack in the hold also my flight is direct from Dublin to Birritz, I might add here i should have said this in the earlyer post that the staff it mulit -functional as i stated in the first post walking is not one of my best aptitudes i am going to take it easy and enjoy every minute of it i will be smelling the roses along the way i will walk each day as much as i can or need to and rest as often as i need or want to i dont intend to rise at 5 o/c in the morning just to get a bed for that night i hope to sleep under the stars on some when it suits i will be carrying a very light ground sheet/bivy that the staff will be its support poles also i will have some parra cord rapped around the staff as a clothes line and bivy support, My self and the dog do the wild camping on our motorcycle trips here in Ireland so i am used to fending for my self.
I have all the camping gear i need tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensiles, rain gear, etc etc but it is not light weight and not suitable for the camino so i have had to start from scratch again with most if not all, As posted this light weight gear is not cheap at least not here in Ireland and i tought it might help some other pilgrim to share my experiance ;) I am budgeting for 40 days in Spain and as i am self employed and dont get holiday pay every penny counts, Again thank you for all your help i appreciate the time and tought you are putting into your posts for myself i do that a lot also we must be alike you never know we may just meet on the road to Santiago some day God willing.

Attachments

• 998469_510850055662258_429313333_n.jpg
    998469_510850055662258_429313333_n.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 15
Hi Agnogel

Congratulations on your decision to walk the Camino. And on all your preparation.

I too am a Type 2 diabetic. I was making little progress with my diabetes management and had already decided to walk el camino when my diabetes nurse told me I had to go to insulin if things didn't change. So it was an extra push.

I haven't seen discussion about the extra care you need to take about your feet. All diabetics get warned and sometimes lectured so it's not a popular subject. But I wanted to share this.

I was lucky with my boots and how well they fitted. But my luck started with 2 weeks solid wearing 8am-8pm, even in the office, before the trip. Ideally it should have been longer. You have to get your feet truly comfortable. My luck continued with finding a video on YouTube about tying laces. Before seeing it, I I thought my boots were comfortable. Afterwards I realised they weren't, but using small change to tying laces, they became so.

I avoided major problems but there was a 3rd piece of luck. Check your feet closely. As a diabetic you can lose sensation in your feet. I had 2 small blisters which came and went without me knowing it. I should have known. But I didn't check properly. They could have become a big problem because I didn't know about them, they burst and they could have become infected. They didn't. This was real luck. I managed to find a third bigger one and deal with it before it was a problem. I had to use my knife to make a hole to drain it - bad move but no choice. So maybe pack a small needle in on some protective way.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just make some luck with your prep and check carefully. Maybe consider some NZ hiking wool which others have recommended. I haven't tried it, but will do so on my next trip.

I also agree with t2andreo - consider poles. I took them but didn't get the benefit because I wasn't used to using them. So get used to them first to get full benefit. They did help going downhill after SJPP and a couple of other places. They didn't stop me falling once on my shoulder. But maybe I would have fallen more. I am undecided about taking them again. But maybe try them before you go so you can decide.

Finally if you are serious about losing weight, then consider this - most standard menu de dia and menu de peregrino are high fat high carb meals. You do need the body fuel but it will slow your weight loss. Seriously consider mixed salad 'ensalada mista' as your first course of 3 - your 2nd course will have few or zero vegetables. I should have lost 20kgs, managed to lose 8kgs, but could have lost more.

Also manage your hydration, I regularly dehydrated and ended up seriously in need of fluid and sugar replacement. I did suffer 2 serious hypo blood sugar deficits, partially through exertion with no breakfast and lunch, and several minor ones which sent me into the arms of Mr. Fanta. Bad move. Big sugar bounces. Try to avoid the pull of Fanta or local equivalent KAS with early regular hydration, especially when you don't think you need it, and either Aquarius or another isotonic drink. Or just water if you can manage it. I couldn't manage on just water. My body was desperate for some supplement.

So maybe consider one of those sipping type bladders. Camelback or platypus or whatever. And at very least have a bottle in easy reach. If you have to take your pack off to reach your water, then you are quite likely to delay or miss hydration and get dehydrated. If this happens, it's quite likely you will struggle to keep good sugar levels, the trip will be harder, and you may not get the weight goals you want.

But you will STILL have a wonderful time and you will definitely lose some weight. I am pleased with my 8kgs loss, just need to keep it off and keep it going down.

Buen camino

Tim

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-co...bile-2600MAH-for-mobile-Phone/1511099216.html
I ordered this solar phone/mp3/ camera charger and it arrived to day i know some say to leave the phone at home but i cant, as stated i am self employed so i cant just disapear off the face of the earth for 40 days and leave my customers in limbo i need them to earn a crust for my living and pay for my camino i intend to have the phone on silent when i walk and return the missed calls or text them later in the evening i dont want to depend on getting the phone charged every night, Its very light weight and i will put it in a zip lock bag strapped to the top of my pack it says it can charge most phones in 1 hour i used it this evening and topped up my gallaxy ph battery at 65% to 100% in about half an hour just with the electric light in my room again when i have more time to test it i will reply for the low cost if it only lasts for the camino it will be good value

Hi Agnogel

Congratulations on your decision to walk the Camino. And on all your preparation.

I too am a Type 2 diabetic. I was making little progress with my diabetes management and had already decided to walk el camino when my diabetes nurse told me I had to go to insulin if things didn't change. So it was an extra push.

I haven't seen discussion about the extra care you need to take about your feet. All diabetics get warned and sometimes lectured so it's not a popular subject. But I wanted to share this.

I was lucky with my boots and how well they fitted. But my luck started with 2 weeks solid wearing 8am-8pm, even in the office, before the trip. Ideally it should have been longer. You have to get your feet truly comfortable. My luck continued with finding a video on YouTube about tying laces. Before seeing it, I I thought my boots were comfortable. Afterwards I realised they weren't, but using small change to tying laces, they became so.

I avoided major problems but there was a 3rd piece of luck. Check your feet closely. As a diabetic you can lose sensation in your feet. I had 2 small blisters which came and went without me knowing it. I should have known. But I didn't check properly. They could have become a big problem because I didn't know about them, they burst and they could have become infected. They didn't. This was real luck. I managed to find a third bigger one and deal with it before it was a problem. I had to use my knife to make a hole to drain it - bad move but no choice. So maybe pack a small needle in on some protective way.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just make some luck with your prep and check carefully. Maybe consider some NZ hiking wool which others have recommended. I haven't tried it, but will do so on my next trip.

I also agree with t2andreo - consider poles. I took them but didn't get the benefit because I wasn't used to using them. So get used to them first to get full benefit. They did help going downhill after SJPP and a couple of other places. They didn't stop me falling once on my shoulder. But maybe I would have fallen more. I am undecided about taking them again. But maybe try them before you go so you can decide.

Finally if you are serious about losing weight, then consider this - most standard menu de dia and menu de peregrino are high fat high carb meals. You do need the body fuel but it will slow your weight loss. Seriously consider mixed salad 'ensalada mista' as your first course of 3 - your 2nd course will have few or zero vegetables. I should have lost 20kgs, managed to lose 8kgs, but could have lost more.

Also manage your hydration, I regularly dehydrated and ended up seriously in need of fluid and sugar replacement. I did suffer 2 serious hypo blood sugar deficits, partially through exertion with no breakfast and lunch, and several minor ones which sent me into the arms of Mr. Fanta. Bad move. Big sugar bounces. Try to avoid the pull of Fanta or local equivalent KAS with early regular hydration, especially when you don't think you need it, and either Aquarius or another isotonic drink. Or just water if you can manage it. I couldn't manage on just water. My body was desperate for some supplement.

So maybe consider one of those sipping type bladders. Camelback or platypus or whatever. And at very least have a bottle in easy reach. If you have to take your pack off to reach your water, then you are quite likely to delay or miss hydration and get dehydrated. If this happens, it's quite likely you will struggle to keep good sugar levels, the trip will be harder, and you may not get the weight goals you want.

But you will STILL have a wonderful time and you will definitely lose some weight. I am pleased with my 8kgs loss, just need to keep it off and keep it going down.

Buen camino

Tim
Hi Tim thanks ever so much for the addvice
I dont watch much tv i do a lot on the pc and when i was diagnosed i trawled the inter net for info just like i did the treads here i have a very good GP and nurse who went into detail on my feet and the effects plus i have a brother and sister who are diabetic also it runs in the family i will be carrying a small pocket mirror with me to check every part of my feet i will also have sealed surgical souturs with me for any blisters that may arise also the blister plasters and a few extra medical items, When diagnosed i made a food diary i tought i did not eat much crap but when i looked back it amounted to a good bit its very easy to get bad habits so i cut all the crap out totaly i now eat healthy meals only and that does include plenty of salads ect ect, I cut out the soft drinks all together and swaped them for the water i add a small amount of not added suger orange juice just to flavour it a little or desolve a vitim c tab or add lemon juice with a pinch of salt to hydrate my self i also cut back big time on the coffee most days i only have one with my breakfast before it could be as much as 8/10 cups so big changes have taken place very quick for me, My intension is to beat or halt this diabeties before i become depenent on the medacation when i mentioned my desire to walk the camino to my doctor who hopes to walk it some day her self also, said go for it
I worked with a spanish company here for 20years and traveled Spain a lot also i am very used to the food and even cook some my self, as posted earler i can fend for my self quiet well. I never tought of wearing the shoes every day i was just keeping them for walking i will try that when i can
I live and learn every day please keep the fantastic addvice coming

Last edited:
Good God Tom you must be a mind reader :cool: the staff in question is in fact a two peice 4ft 6ins with the ferrule joint it is made from red oak with a lovely pear wood (with for it) gear shift knob off a Jaguar xj12 that just feels like it is an extension of your hand. I am going to pack it in a heavy cardboard tube strapped to my backpack loaded into the hold of the plane i will be carrying a small knife with me hence the pack in the hold also my flight is direct from Dublin to Birritz, I might add here i should have said this in the earlyer post that the staff it mulit -functional as i stated in the first post walking is not one of my best aptitudes i am going to take it easy and enjoy every minute of it i will be smelling the roses along the way i will walk each day as much as i can or need to and rest as often as i need or want to i dont intend to rise at 5 o/c in the morning just to get a bed for that night i hope to sleep under the stars on some when it suits i will be carrying a very light ground sheet/bivy that the staff will be its support poles also i will have some parra cord rapped around the staff as a clothes line and bivy support, My self and the dog do the wild camping on our motorcycle trips here in Ireland so i am used to fending for my self.
I have all the camping gear i need tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensiles, rain gear, etc etc but it is not light weight and not suitable for the camino so i have had to start from scratch again with most if not all, As posted this light weight gear is not cheap at least not here in Ireland and i tought it might help some other pilgrim to share my experiance ;) I am budgeting for 40 days in Spain and as i am self employed and dont get holiday pay every penny counts, Again thank you for all your help i appreciate the time and tought you are putting into your posts for myself i do that a lot also we must be alike you never know we may just meet on the road to Santiago some day God willing.

Peter:

One of the things you will hear often whilst on Camino is that "Saint James works in very mysterious ways, and sometimes in ways that are just weird." This might just be one of those times. Learn to just go with the flow... On the Camino we also say that you always get what you need, not necessary what you think you want. Somehow, things just work out.

As a general rule, wild camping is not permitted in Spain. However, if you go far enough off the "beaten path" I doubt you will have a problem. You can also save money by staying at "donativo" albergues that accept donations based on what you can afford.

Just FYI, there is a blog and entries here written by a fellow named Jim Kaszynski who walked the Camino in the past year WITHOUT MONEY. He was walking for charity to raise money for a third world project he supports. Here is his Camino blog: http://jimscaminodesantiago.wordpress.com/
You can also search on his posts in the forum for additional information about how he was able to save on expenses. Jim epitomizes the oft heard axiom that "the Camino provides..."

I wish you the very best as you plan your first Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its all happening here at the moment i ordered from advice from another tread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...pected-backpack-items.8023/page-3#post-178307
a heating element for making coffee / tea in the morning while on the camino just in case there is no kitchen in the albergue, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111227714025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
i could not get one here in Ireland i tested it this morning and boiled a tin mug 400 ml of near freezing water in 4 minutes on a 220V system the same as Spain it even comes with a euro plug so no adapter required by the way Amazon were looking for 22.50 euros for the same item

Last edited:
Its all happening here at the moment i ordered from advice from another tread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...pected-backpack-items.8023/page-3#post-178307
a heating element for making coffee / tea in the morning while on the camino just in case there is no kitchen in the albergue, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111227714025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
i could not get one here in Ireland i tested it this morning and boiled a tin mug 400 ml of near freezing water in 4 minutes on a 220V system the same as Spain it even comes with a euro plug so no adapter required by the way Amazon were looking for 22.50 euros for the same item

As you "gear-up" for your Camino, I recommend that you do not spend money on a special water bottle. Usually, these bottles are heavy, difficult to keep sanitary, and can be used for one thing only.

In the view of many pilgrims, and as expressed across this forum, the BEST water bottle for the Camino is a .5 liter or 1 liter water bottle that you buy bottled water in. They are very lightweight when empty, reusable, recyclable, and can easily be replaced along the way as needed. However, as with all things, you must determine for yourself what works best for you and act accordingly.

I prefer to carry four .5 liter bottles as I can arrange them about my rucksack, harness and belt to balance the load. It also also allows me to carry different mixtures in the various bottles. I will explain - of course...;)

For example, I usually start the day with two bottles of tap water - it is safe to drink unless posted otherwise - ask if in doubt. One of the other two bottles has a single serving of Nescafe instant coffee mixed with water. I know it is cold, but what is life without suffering? The last of the four .5 liter bottles has a single-serving electrolyte replacement, fruity flavored powder mixed into the water.

I usually consume the coffee first - sometimes before I leave my lodgings - but before I arrive at the first cafe of the day for a proper coffee and a snack. This is followed by the plain water as needed, then electrolyte drink next, usually around midday when the sun is hottest. I rinse and refill the empty bottles along the way whenever an opportunity presents itself. It is better to have too much water than none. In my decades of global travel, and government service I have learned four things VERY well:

1. Never pass up a toilet - one never knows where the next one will be
2. Always have access to potable water - you will need it
3. Always know where you are, where you are going, and watch your "six"
4. "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun..." - On a bright sunny day either stay in the shade or wear a road brimmed hat. When you are hiking, the bright and hot sun is NOT your friend. The sun in northern Spain is hot all year round.

I usually hold back one bottle of plain water for last in case it is needed to rinse a wound, give to another pilgrim, or mix another electrolyte replacement drink. One does sweat a lot on the Camino, and in all weather.

Many people, myself included, find that arranging to mount the four-smaller or two-larger water bottles on the front of your rucksack harness or belt moves your center of gravity forward. Don't forget, .5 liters of water weights about .5 kg.Each one liter weighs one Kg (+/-). It DOES make a difference.

Rearranging the weight in this manner does two VERY helpful things. It improves your stability while walking - always a good thing, AND it gives you ready access to water or water is in the bottles without having to remove your rucksack.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As you "gear-up" for your Camino, do not spend money on a special water bottle. The BEST water bottle for the Camino is a .5 liter or 1 liter water bottle that you buy bottled water in. They are very lightweight when empty, reusable, recyclable, and can easily be replaced along the way as needed.

I prefer to carry four .5 liter bottles as I can arrange them about my rucksack, harness and belt to balance the load. It also also allows me to carry different mixtures in the various bottles. I will explain - of course...;)

For example, I usually start the day with two bottles of tap water - it is safe to drink unless posted otherwise - ask if in doubt. One of the other two bottles has a single serving of Nescafe instant coffee mixed with water. I know it is cold, but what is life without suffering? The last of the four .5 liter bottles has a single-serving electrolyte replacement, fruity flavored powder mixed into the water.

I usually consume the coffee first - sometimes before I leave my lodgings - but before I arrive at the first cafe of the day for a proper coffee and a snack. This is followed by the plain water as needed, then electrolyte drink next, usually around midday when the sun is hottest. I rinse and refill the empty bottles along the way whenever an opportunity presents itself. It is better to have too much water than none. In my decades of global travel, and government service I have learned four things VERY well:

1. Never pass up a toilet - one never knows where the next one will be
2. Always have access to potable water - you will need it
3. Always know where you are, where you are going, and watch your "six"
4. "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun..." - On a bright sunny day either stay in the shade or wear a road brimmed hat. When you are hiking, the bright and hot sun is NOT your friend. The sun in northern Spain is hot all year round.

I usually hold back one bottle of plain water for last in case it is needed to rinse a wound, give to another pilgrim, or mix another electrolyte replacement drink. One does sweat a lot on the Camino, and in all weather.

Many people, myself included, find that arranging to mount the four-smaller or two-larger water bottles on the front of your rucksack harness or belt moves your center of gravity forward. Don't forget, .5 liters of water weights about .5 kg.Each one liter weighs one Kg (+/-). It DOES make a difference.

Rearranging the weight in this manner does two VERY helpful things. It improves your stability while walking - always a good thing, AND it gives you ready access to water or water is in the bottles without having to remove your rucksack.

I hope this helps.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/305253221.html
Sorry Tom again i seem to have jumped the gun i have being delivered 2 750ml of the bottles in the link i chose them because there insulated and have a carabiner attached to the lid so i can hang them on the front of my pack that has 2 thumb loops for easy access i knew if my water was in the backpack i would have to unload it and that would distract from taking it, I will be putting all my gear through its paces well before i go if at some point they or other items dont work out i will leave them behind and revert to the plastic bottles, I learnet the hard way a few years ago on a motorcycle trip to Spain when we hit a heat wave in Andulacia after riding in the midday heat and getting burnt to a crisp, also wondering why there was no traffic on the motorway the penny droped so insted of moving to the next destanation at say 9am we headed out at 5 am and got to a hotel before the real heat go up. I dont think i could drink cold coffee i have suffered enough hardship with out making it worse for my self. :p hence the electric coil . When you go to a strange country and see that the locals disapear for a siesta in the heat they must be wetting them selves laughing :p at the gringos slowley toasting :( in the sun
By the way your posts do help it confirms i am on the right road to Santiago, and please do have a Happy NewYear.

Hi All

Buen Canino
Aside from "wicking tee shirts and underwere" I can almost assure you that you will wonder why you spent so much time analyzing all the equipment! I did the same thing and then ended up not using my "camel" and throwing out a pair of shorts and my pillow!

If your trousers belt is under your pack belt it may become uncomfortable unless you can slacken it. Terry's trick is to also wear braces. Helps too if you lose weight. Works for men, not so good for women.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found this item very useful for water, it fits most size bottles which can be refilled then discarded after a few uses and clean ones bought. Much better than the camel pack IMO as I found those hard to wash out properly. I also found that I drank more frequently when I didn't have to reach back to try and get the water bottle out of the pack side pocket, sometimes I had to stop, take off the pack to get the bottle back in.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SmarTube-Tri...7783763?pt=Fahrrad_Schuhe&hash=item19c4505e53

I found this item very useful for water, it fits most size bottles which can be refilled then discarded after a few uses and clean ones bought. Much better than the camel pack IMO as I found those hard to wash out properly. I also found that I drank more frequently when I didn't have to reach back to try and get the water bottle out of the pack side pocket, sometimes I had to stop, take off the pack to get the bottle back in.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SmarTube-Tri...7783763?pt=Fahrrad_Schuhe&hash=item19c4505e53

Now THAT is clever. One could leave the bottle in a side pocket and still get at the water. I am thinking twin 1.5 liter bottles - one to each side.

Also, and just FYI, I found the identical product on Amazon.com here in the U.S.. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GM6LWS/?tag=casaivar02-20

And, here again at Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000GM6LWS/?tag=casaivar-21

Thanks for sharing this.

That
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/305253221.html
Sorry Tom again i seem to have jumped the gun i have being delivered 2 750ml of the bottles in the link i chose them because there insulated and have a carabiner attached to the lid so i can hang them on the front of my pack that has 2 thumb loops for easy access i knew if my water was in the backpack i would have to unload it and that would distract from taking it, I will be putting all my gear through its paces well before i go if at some point they or other items dont work out i will leave them behind and revert to the plastic bottles, I learnet the hard way a few years ago on a motorcycle trip to Spain when we hit a heat wave in Andulacia after riding in the midday heat and getting burnt to a crisp, also wondering why there was no traffic on the motorway the penny droped so insted of moving to the next destanation at say 9am we headed out at 5 am and got to a hotel before the real heat go up. I dont think i could drink cold coffee i have suffered enough hardship with out making it worse for my self. :p hence the electric coil . When you go to a strange country and see that the locals disapear for a siesta in the heat they must be wetting them selves laughing :p at the gringos slowley toasting :( in the sun
By the way your posts do help it confirms i am on the right road to Santiago, and please do have a Happy NewYear.

That is okay. You can always opt to save the bottles to use whilst motorcycling. OR, depending on the cost, just send them back. Check out the exchange above about the low-cost alternative to a water bladder set up. It works with any bottled water plastic bottle.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you "gear-up" for your Camino, do not spend money on a special water bottle. The BEST water bottle for the Camino is a .5 liter or 1 liter water bottle that you buy bottled water in.
I would be very cautious about any advice that claims to be the best in this way. Bottles and bladders both have disadvantages, and it is very much a personal choice to balance these out and make a choice that suits the individual. I very much prefer the convenience of a bladder over bottles, and a bladder will give a naturally balanced load close to one's back. That's a much better load-carrying approach than bottles ever will be.

If you do make the decision to use bottles, then the PET bottles are the lightest option, and preferable to metal bottles for that reason alone.

Regards

I would be very cautious about any advice that claims to be the best in this way. Bottles and bladders both have disadvantages, and it is very much a personal choice to balance these out and make a choice that suits the individual. I very much prefer the convenience of a bladder over bottles, and a bladder will give a naturally balanced load close to one's back. That's a much better load-carrying approach than bottles ever will be.

If you do make the decision to use bottles, then the PET bottles are the lightest option, and preferable to metal bottles for that reason alone.

Regards

Doug is correct. :) One should consider all options before deciding on one.

I Agree as well and find it difficult to use the water bottles for all the reasons mentioned. I always carry my Camel at 100 ML full when I start. Only thing that would be nice is that I do carry one 20 ounce water bottle as well in case I need to mix any electrolytes or share water with someone who is out. For that reason, one water bottle is all I ever carry (beyond my camel). That hose-to-a-water bottle is tempting me though. Thank you for sharing the product with us and the research for finding it on Amazon. Ed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now THAT is clever. One could leave the bottle in a side pocket and still get at the water. I am thinking twin 1.5 liter bottles - one to each side.

Also, and just FYI, I found the identical product on Amazon.com here in the U.S.. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GM6LWS/?tag=casaivar02-20

And, here again at Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Desert-0936-SmarTube-Hydration/dp/B000GM6LWS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388524523&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=SmarTube - the drinking system for Sigg Bottles

Thanks for sharing this.
Hi Tom I use 2 x 0.5 Lt bottles which I found to be more than enough. When one is empty I just switch the tube to the other bottle. This Autumn I found that as the sun was nearly always on my left side, the side with the tube, the first few mouthfuls of water were always warm so next time I intend to fit the tube on my right side. :)

Wayfarer:

On my first Camino last year I used four of these: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp I recall they cost about USD 3.95 each. They are available online. I found that my local shops prefer to spend the more profitable, but heavier when empty plastic or metal water bottles.

I continue to feel (personal opinion here) that the ubiquitous PET water bottles available everywhere make the ideal water bottle for the Camino. They are lightweight when empty, reusable, recyclable, you do not have to clean them other than a daily rinse, and they are easily replaced at nil cost.

I plan to use them again. I thought more overnight about the long tube idea we discussed above. It would work well on a 1 liter or larger PET water bottle provided you had large enough side pockets on your rucksack. I suggest you would need to carry two to balance the load.

But then there is the weight of all that water. Two liters - one on each side is about 2 kg total - about 4.54. That is a lot of weight added to the rucksack. So I am rethinking the notion of trying the tube idea.

As you point out, a .5 liter bottle with the long straw in a side pocket would work, but does not provide a lot of water. That apparent trade-off is weight for volume. Plus, as I mention above, the weight is still on your back, in / on the rucksack.

So, on balance (no pun intended) I am leaning again towards using the Nite Ize Drink-n-Clips to use more bottles containing more water, but arrayed on the front of my torso to counter-balance the rucksack weight.

There is no right solution or one way to sort this out. But the correct way for you is the one that works best given your waking style, weight carrying ability and need for hydration. Everyone is different. Suffice it to say that there are a load of alternative solutions out there.

I hope this helps. Happy New Year to All!:D

I Agree as well and find it difficult to use the water bottles for all the reasons mentioned. I always carry my Camel at 100 ML full when I start. Only thing that would be nice is that I do carry one 20 ounce water bottle as well in case I need to mix any electrolytes or share water with someone who is out. For that reason, one water bottle is all I ever carry (beyond my camel). That hose-to-a-water bottle is tempting me though. Thank you for sharing the product with us and the research for finding it on Amazon. Ed
I have used a similar approach when I have needed to treat water. I start the day with a bladder and full 750ml or 1li bottle. When I finish the water in the bladder, I decant the bottle into the bladder. Then at the next spot I find clean water, I fill the bottle and treat it with a puritab. This process can be repeated if necessary.

I didn't do this on the CF. While I had a few issues finding potable water in some places where fonts were dry between villages, I quickly learned to refill more regularly when passing through villages.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
20140104_224547.jpg

As per the post with Tom this is the walking stick/staff i have made to bring with myself on my camino it is all hand made from red oak with a ferrule screw joint in the lower half the top nob is a pear wood gearshift lever off a Jaguar xj12 that just feels like it was made for my hand the binding under it is a spare pair of boot laces (may come in handy) wraped as per the hilt of a Samuri sword as added grip, I can use it as a normal walking stick or a staff for going up hill or down, Its weight is only 150 grams heaver than my metal trekking pole. What you cant see in the picture is a small brass plate below the binding inscribed with some ones name that is special to myself. As said in Toms post i wanted to bring something personal with me and i intend to have it blessed ( may be in Lourdes ) before i go.

View attachment 7624

As per the post with Tom this is the walking stick/staff i have made to bring with myself on my camino it is all hand made from red oak with a ferrule screw joint in the lower half the top nob is a pear wood gearshift lever off a Jaguar xj12 that just feels like it was made for my hand the binding under it is a spare pair of boot laces (may come in handy) wraped as per the hilt of a Samuri sword as added grip, I can use it as a normal walking stick or a staff for going up hill or down, Its weight is only 150 grams heaver than my metal trekking pole. What you cant see in the picture is a small brass plate below the binding inscribed with some ones name that is special to myself. As said in Toms post i wanted to bring something personal with me and i intend to have it blessed ( may be in Lourdes ) before i go.

Brilliant! I really like the clean design. The Jaguar shift knob looks very nice. As you plan to check the hiking staff in a cardboard tube on your flight you will not have a problem. The rubber tip at the bottom is nice too.

Many people with hiking poles or single wood staffs make a clicking noise as they amble along. Some, including me, find that distracting, especially on paved surfaces. I also understand that the noise annoys some of the local folks who live along the way as well. I use rubber tips on my walking poles all the time.

Also, you might not need the extra boot laces for your footwear, but it could come in handy as an expedient clothes line. You might consider wrapping a longer piece of 2 mm polyester accessory cord in place of the bootlace. Look for it at any outdoor or climbing supply store.

You definitely have the right idea...:)

@Agnogel, I loved to see your photo with your dog, and also the photo from your staff! It's wonderful, and it seems to be very well made.

About the water, on my first Caminho last year, I took a 2L blatter. Although it was great, I consider that taking it it's an overload of weight. Has we all know, water weights 1kg per liter, so I was carrying 2kg of water. The worst part for was that a blatter gives you the comfortable idea that you have a big quantity of water, and that you can carry on. Big mistake! I found my self on two days without any water for the last 5km.

Other thing, if your backpack doesn’t have a blatter zone, unless you putt it on the front (for those who have front zippers)/up part of your backpack, it will be hard for you to reach it in case if you need to refill it.

To clean the blatter, I use a spoon of baking soda and hot water, a trick that I've learned on the Camelback webpage.

This year, I will bring two bottles like this: http://www.sportsdirect.com/sportsdirect-folding-water-bottle-898108?colcode=89810890

They are very lightweight, and the karabiner gives you the possibilitie to clip it to almost any place. I will take one outside the backpack, and one inside. Capacity: 0,5L.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I still have a couple of wooden walking staffs/sticks, one of very similar design and construction to this. I must admit that I think they are a triumph of style over function when it comes to use as a walking aid, but I do understand some people prefer them for a variety of personal sentimental reasons.

I met a Norse pilgrim on St Olav's Way with a true spectacle of a walking staff - a single piece of wood over 2m long and topped by what might have been the the root ball of the sapling from which it was made. It was a wonderfully mystical looking device befitting his public appearances as the head of an adventure school. I guess he had his own reasons for walking with this rather than a more practical staff or technical walking poles.

Well the water bottles arrived today and they are very very light at 100 grams each as said they come with there own little carabiner handy to clip on to the front of your pack or belt, Also the most important item for any kit arrived the forum patch how could one survive with out it :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.