• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Pilgrimage

Fred Bovenkamp

Pilgrim for Life
Time of past OR future Camino
2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
Hi Pilgrims, my name is Fred, and have decided to do the most outrageous - walk the Road to Santiago! I am from the State of Washington in the United States, and know very little Spanish - solamente un poco! This is going to be the biggest stretch of my 53 years of life, something that I had never considered even a few months ago! But after years of material success and now, however, massive failures in business and relationships, I am in dire need of a transformative encounter with myself and my God. I want to rediscover a personal enthusiasm for living! I am planning to begin my journey from SJPP in mid-July, 2011.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Fred...welcome to the Forum and to the Class of 2011!

May I suggest that you check out the Pilgrim FAQ at the top right. In that you consider the Camino an outrageous undertaking the info will certainly go a long way to grounding you.

Secondly, since this may indeed be a transformational chapter in your life...SEARCH out the answers and suggestions to other queries by using the tab in the upper right. Just type in a key word or phrase...in English or Spanish...Cerveza comes to mind...and a series of postings on that topic will appear.

Also consider checking out the Pilgrim Calendar at the bottom right. There you can see whom might be on Camino at the same time and you can add your schedule to the mix.

Lastly, check out the Class of 2011 link and get a feel for others that have planned, are currently walking or will soon join you on the Way to Compostela.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hello Fred,
Welcome to the Camino. The moment you have committed to go on the Camino, your pilgrimage has begun. Use this time wisely to prepare both physically and spiritually to begin.

Expectations are difficult things; they can enhance or destroy your experience of life. My counsel would be to simply "be" on the Camino. Go with a commitment to experience the Camino with others, helping others even when it is a sacrifice, and being open to what each day will bring you.

You will hear a lot of talk about finding the best places to stay. There are certainly facilities that are better than others, but even in the most difficult of circumstances you can find joy. Understand that the Camino is not a beginning and an end, but it is a daily journey of life.

I am reminded of the wise man that pulled up three small rose bushes and gave them to three followers. The first was dismayed because there were thorns on the stem. The second was dismayed that there was dirt on the roots. The last was overcome with the beautiful fragrance of the rose. The wise man took back the roses from the first two. To the first one he broke the thorns off and gave the thorns to him. To the second he shook off the dirt into his hand saying, "you saw only that which offended you and were blind to the beauty that was in front of you and so you shall have what you sought." The Camino is a time to search for the beauty in all things; seek for it, search for it, and be blind to those things which may offend you. In doing so, you will have the Camino you are searching.

His Peace be upon you during each step of your journey,

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Fred,

I lived and worked in Seattle until 2009 and that's when I left to begin my Camino from Sj. That year I became a pilgrim and the Camino spirit has lived within me ever since.

Your Camino is just that, your Camino. It's a personal experience and with that said, try not to overly prepare yourself. You will find your own rythmn and discover works for you. A must is good boots that are broken in and a quality pack. Take your time and enjoy every moment. What ever you need will be there and whenever you have an opportunity to help some else do it. Just go, it will all come together.

Buen Camino!

Hi Fred,

Good luck with the preparations!
NB: your last name suggests a Dutch 'background" ...... ! ?

Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Fred,
Buen Camino,
Lydia

Well Fred, It's mid-July!
You are on your way!

I hope you have a rich and meaningful experience.
Take lots of rest stops, sample the local wine. Be open to the unusual. Accept other pilgrims and the Camino, itself.

Write us a note, to let us know how you are doing.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back