• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My upcoming planned Camino Portuguese

Sacha

Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
05/24 C. Portugues
09/25 CF Ponferrada - Fisterra
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much.

This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I am so excited to show her what the camino is all about. But to be able to convince her I had to book private rooms.

We will be walking the Litoral, Coastal, Central and Spiritual route.

So I have just finished prebooking the whole way!

I thought I would share my planning in case you would find it interesting.

Day 1 Porto Travel day Spot Hostel

Day 2 Labruge 23.8 km Smiling Places

Day 3 A Ver-o-Mar 17.6 km Casa Fragosa

Day 4 Antas 25.7 km Antas Guest House

Day 5 Viana do Castelo 16.8 km Hotel Fabrica do Chocolate

Day 6 Caminha 27 km Olá Vida Hostel Caminha

Switching to central route

Day 7 Vila Nova de Cerveira 20 km Hotel Minho

Day 8 Tui 10 km Parador de Tui

Stop in Valença to see the city

Day 9 O Porriño 17 km Orballo apartment

Day 10 Redondela 15.4 km A Marisma Hostel

Spiritual Route:

Day 11 Pontevedra 20 km Hostel Charino

Day 12 Combarro 11.3 km Albergue Hostel Nuestra Señora del Camino

Day 13 Os Castaños 16 km Hospedaje Restaurante Os Castaños

Day 14 Vilanova de Arousa 17 km Apartamentos Puerto Basella

Day 15 Santiago de Compostela 55 km (28 km by boat, 27 km walking) Hostal Nomade Santiago

Lunch in Padrón (Edit: Breakfast in Padron)

Day 16 Santiago de Compostela Hostal Nomade Santiago

Day 17 Travel home

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bom caminho! I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful experience with your mom.

Day 15 Santiago de Compostela 55 km (28 km by boat, 27 km walking) Hostal Nomade Santiago

Lunch in Padrón
That’s a long afternoon walk if you don’t start from Padrón until after lunch! If you get an early boat it might be worth getting some kms under your belt before lunch.

I ate here once and enjoyed it. It’s a rural restaurant a couple of hours after Padrón, just off the camino.

Bom caminho! I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful experience with your mom.

That’s a long afternoon walk if you don’t start from Padrón until after lunch! If you get an early boat it might be worth getting some kms under your belt before lunch.

I ate here once and enjoyed it. It’s a rural restaurant a couple of hours after Padrón, just off the camino.

Thanks, Ill keep this in mind! I was planning on getting the early boat. I read somewhere it leaves around 7am?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I see now it only take an hour and 15 min. I guess it will be breakfast in Padron, not lunch haha.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HI!
If you know the date you want the boat in advance; the company should be able to give you tide times and departure.
I booked months in advance and they were able to do this.
In 2021 i went with Bahia Sub contact by email or phone
naviera@bahiasub.com
+34 607 911 523

Buen Camino.
Woody

Last edited:
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much.

This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I am so excited to show her what the camino is all about. But to be able to convince her I had to book private rooms.

Spiritual Route:

Day 17 Travel home
Good for you! I don’t understand where you are staying between Padrón and Santiago.
We are doing similar - flying into Porto then train to Vigo where we are starting. Our limitations were to keep daily walking to 10-15 km; shorter day after a long or difficult day. Vigo- Redondela - Pontesampio, Pontevedra - Combarro - Armenteria, PonteArnelas - Vilanova de Arousa - boat - Padrón - Pincarna - Millidorio - Santiago. We are 67 and 77 women and this is our first Camino. This gives our families peace of mind to know our route and accommodations are booked. I hope you and your mom have a magical time

Good for you! I don’t understand where you are staying between Padrón and Santiago.
We are doing similar - flying into Porto then train to Vigo where we are starting. Our limitations were to keep daily walking to 10-15 km; shorter day after a long or difficult day. Vigo- Redondela - Pontesampio, Pontevedra - Combarro - Armenteria, PonteArnelas - Vilanova de Arousa - boat - Padrón - Pincarna - Millidorio - Santiago. We are 67 and 77 women and this is our first Camino. This gives our families peace of mind to know our route and accommodations are booked. I hope you and your mom have a magical time
Hi BRSmith! It definitely gives peace of mind. And its a lot of fun planning!

We will take the boat from Vilanova de Arousa at 8am and walk all the way to Santiago that day. Its about 27 km. Uphill 😅 It will be the most challenging day of our camino but I believe we will be strong enough by then. My mom is also 67 years old.

Wishing you both a wonderful first camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Spiritual Route:

Day 17 Travel home
Thank you for sharing. Buen camino 🥾

It depends on the time of year / tides.
The Wise Pilgrim app has a link to book the boat out of Vilanova de Arousa. Easy peasy! Also - we have been told that the entire Camino from Padrón to Santiago is uphill. Not steep but a constant climb. I noticed you broke the spiritual section into separate stages like we did. Hope that works out for you

This made me laugh when I read it! I am a mother (62) who has done a few different Caminos and my daughter (42) has agreed to walk from Porto with me this fall…but only if we stay in places where we can have private rooms. I tried to explain the magic of communal meals and getting to know other pilgrims better when you share an albergue - and she finally agreed to let me find a few great albergueswith communal meals…but only a few. We will be following your route for the most part so I’m interested to hear about your adventures and lodging as you make your trip!

PS if anyone has recommendations for great albergue a with communal meals, I’d love to hear them!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have decided we are too old to 1) have shared bathrooms and showers 2)listen to others snore - or not get a good nights sleep and 3) most albergues don’t allow bag/packpack transport - and due to health issues that would be a non-starter for me. (Back and hip surgeries). We are hoping along the way we meet other peligrinos walking as well. We will take 11 days to walk 115km. Leave next week. (3 days in Porto first) We are also early to bed folks - especially after a full day of walking

I can relate to the surgeries but good for you (and me) and others - for doing it. And walking in a way that works for us. This time around I am doing a slow Camino Portuguese. When I walked the Frances in the fall the downhills and over 20km per day were hard on my knee on my hip replacement side. I found some days I did not want to linger in a church or spiritual place. I finished but it took about six months of physio to help get back to walking longer days. So am doing about 16 or so Km per day - will see how it goes! In case it helps others here is my slow stages are looking like 😊: ( I also share in case folks have some must sees they might recommend or if you see an error!).
Porto to Matosinhos
to Via Cha
to Póvoa de Varzim
to Fao
Off camino - bus and train to Braga
Stay in Braga
Braga train/bus/taxi back to Antas
to Viana do Castelo
to Vila Praia de Ancona
To A Guarda ( inc water taxi)
To Oia
To Baiona
To Saians or Prieque? ( Albergue San Xurxo)
To Virgo
To Castaños
To Pontevedra
To Combarro
To Armenteira
To os Castaños
To Vilanova de Arousa
To Padron ( Ferry)
To Milladoiro
To Santiago
Accomodation a mix of Albergues and private rooms. I leave next week and trying to get my pack a wee lighter … hope to see others on the trail!
Jen from 🇨🇦

Spiritual Route:

Day 17 Travel home
Looks like a wonderful journey! I look forward to hearing your thought afterward! Safe travels!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can relate to the surgeries but good for you (and me) and others - for doing it. And walking in a way that works for us. This time around I am doing a slow Camino Portuguese. When I walked the Frances in the fall the downhills and over 20km per day were hard on my knee on my hip replacement side. I found some days I did not want to linger in a church or spiritual place. I finished but it took about six months of physio to help get back to walking longer days. So am doing about 16 or so Km per day - will see how it goes! In case it helps others here is my slow stages are looking like 😊: ( I also share in case folks have some must sees they might recommend or if you see an error!).
Porto to Matosinhos
to Via Cha
to Póvoa de Varzim
to Fao
Off camino - bus and train to Braga
Stay in Braga
Braga train/bus/taxi back to Antas
to Viana do Castelo
to Vila Praia de Ancona
To A Guarda ( inc water taxi)
To Oia
To Baiona
To Saians or Prieque? ( Albergue San Xurxo)
To Virgo
To Castaños
To Pontevedra
To Combarro
To Armenteira
To os Castaños
To Vilanova de Arousa
To Padron ( Ferry)
To Milladoiro
To Santiago
Accomodation a mix of Albergues and private rooms. I leave next week and trying to get my pack a wee lighter … hope to see others on the trail!
Jen from 🇨🇦
Hi Jen - how exciting for you! When do you arrive in Porto? Can we figure out meeting for coffee or a meal? We will be in Porto Apr 25-28.

This made me laugh when I read it! I am a mother (62) who has done a few different Caminos and my daughter (42) has agreed to walk from Porto with me this fall…but only if we stay in places where we can have private rooms. I tried to explain the magic of communal meals and getting to know other pilgrims better when you share an albergue - and she finally agreed to let me find a few great albergues with communal meals…but only a few. We will be following your route for the most part so I’m interested to hear about your adventures and lodging as you make your trip!

PS if anyone has recommendations for great albergue a with communal meals, I’d love to hear them!
When are you leaving? Will be happy to share our adventures. 😳

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow pilgrims.

I am also doing CP in July starting in Porto doing full Senda Litoral.

Here is my itinerary:

Day 1 - Se Cathedral, Porto – Via do Conde 33 km
Day 2 - Via do Conde - Marinhas, 27km
Day 3 - Marinhas – Carreço, 25 km
Day 4 - Carreço – A Guarda, 23 km
Day 5 - A Guarda – Baiona, 29,5 km
Day 6 - Baiona – Vigo, 25 km
Day 7 - Vigo – Pontevedra 32km
Day 8 - Pontevedra - Padrón 37km
Day 9 - Padrón – SdC, 25 km

Bom caminho

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...
The weather forecast was accurate- so all geared up for rain! A bit less meandering today as the distance was longer around 22 and it was raining for most of the day! Lovely how the camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back