• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NanoTech Waterproofing

Peregrinandbearit

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2005), ? (2015)
Hi...I walked the "short" version a few years back and am gearing up for a more full Camino in 2015. My continual goal is to lighten my load. Where I am in the States we've had quite a bit of rain, causing me to think about rain on the Camino. On my previous walk I was the fortunate beneficiary of a dry spell, and encountered no rain to speak of for any of my walking.

I've just seen that the NeverWet hydrophobic product is now available for consumer use through Rustoleum, and available on amazon.com and in such stores as Home Depot in the US.

Has anyone tried it on shoes, backpacks, etc. on the Camino? Watching the product demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ), it seems the perfect pre-treatment. I am particularly thinking of some of the members' postings about the sludgy mud adhering to trekking shoes/boots and that this bit of nanotech should cause no such caking on of the muck.

Looking forward to trying it and hearing your thoughts.

BC,
Becky

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking at the reviews at one of the retailers (Home Depot), this product may not offer pilgrim Nirvana. Although the kit indicates coverage of 10-15 square feet (1 - 1.2 square meters), you need to apply multiple coats of both the base layer and the top later, so the coverage is likely not that large. The top coat does not dry clear, but rather a translucent milky white. The coating does not tolerate handling well; it will come off onto your hands, where it feels slightly sticky.

It's a coating. If you apply it to mesh running shoes, the mesh will be waterproof but the holes will still be there.

I'm thinking rain/sun hats, and possibly wind shirts. If I knew in advance that this spring was going to be so wet, maybe my boots.

Hello :)

I was just looking up an item that was recommended to me for treating my (old and comfy) wind and rain jacket. I've had the jacket for 5 years now and I think it's time to give it a treatment before the Camino. Has any one used Nikwax TX Direct Wash?

Buen Camino :arrow:
Angela

PS: I found these great hiking shorts and zip off pants at GOLITE. The associate poured water directly on the fabric and it just rolled off. To say the least, I grabbed both as they were on clearance, I got a heck of a deal. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nikwax TX has been the accepted standard re-proofer for some years and does what it says on the tin. Just don't use your own washing machine unless you want to proof your smalls as well :?

I haven't had a problem using our washing machine. However I have usually washed older clothes, jeans etc first wash after the proofing. The washing liquid seems to take out any residual proofer. I have also given less than the full cycle of rinses to the proofing, not easy now on some machines.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.