• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon route in early April

peregringo1

Time of past OR future Camino
140+ days total on various caminos
For my first camino in 2017, I started in early March and walked via Valcarlos to Roncesvalles on the first day since the Napoleon route was still closed. Since then, I’ve been wanting to return to walk that iconic first stage.

I may return to the camino in early April and wish to walk the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (& likely continue to Pamplona) before heading to the start of another route.

Is April 1st generally a reliable opening date for the Napoleon route each year? Or does the actual opening vary each year based on conditions? I have snow hiking experience so don’t mind that, as long as the route is open and there are not any storms in the forecast.

Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Theorectically the Napoleon route is open from April 1 through October 31. However adverse weather conditions may cause it to be closed if necessary. Ask at the Pilgrim Office at 39 rue de la Citadelle for the current situation before you set off.

Good luck and Buen camino.

Last edited:
For my first camino in 2017, I started in early March and walked via Valcarlos to Roncesvalles on the first day since the Napoleon route was still closed. Since then, I’ve been wanting to return to walk that iconic first stage.

I may return to the camino in early April and wish to walk the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (& likely continue to Pamplona) before heading to the start of another route.

Is April 1st generally a reliable opening date for the Napoleon route each year? Or does the actual opening vary each year based on conditions? I have snow hiking experience so don’t mind that, as long as the route is open and there are not any storms in the forecast.

Thanks.
I would say NO, too iffy with the weather , even dangerous

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Is April 1st generally a reliable opening date for the Napoleon route each year? Or does the actual opening vary each year based on conditions?
In the legal sense, it is closed from 1 November until 31 March each year. I have never seen anything that would indicate that the regional government of Navarra issued an additional new decree to prolong this period.

In the practical sense, you may hear or be told that the route is still closed during the early days of April. This refers nearly always to the condition of the trail at the highest altitude, to the amount of old snow still there, to seriously muddy conditions etc. No information is published online about this. You will have to visit the pilgrim office in SJPP to obtain information about current trail conditions. Follow their advice. Buen Camino!

The main issue is the fact that walkers will be tired and often unprepared when they reach this part after several hours of walking up and that walking through old snow and mud makes you slow down even more towards the end of your day and adds to feeling tired and exhausted.

I have walked the Napolean three times, each time leaving on April 13th, by pure chance. The weather was completely different all three times. On my second try, the route was closed as a storm passed through overnight, and the Valcarlos route was the only option. The locals know when it is safe: take their word for it and follow their advice on the day you plan to go.

April 1st is when it stops being a crime to walk the Napolean, not when it suddenly becomes a good idea.

In some years, the Napoleon route was closed until mid-April due to heavy snow.

-Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, your responses are helpful. Sounds like it'll be a game-time decision. Instead of coming to SJPdP from Paris, it may be prudent to fly into Madrid, assess conditions on arrival (hopefully there will be some forum posts here from pilgrims that are already in SJPdP and then decide to head to SJPdP once I have some confirmation the route is open and safe. In the mean time, plenty of other great routes that are perfect in April.

I walked my first Camino in mid April taking the Valcarlos route. At the communal dinner at Corazon Puro, one couple at the table had to sleep overnight in the stone shepherd's hut on the Napoleon route due to unexpected heavy snowfall.
Another gal had returned to the Camino from the U.S. specifically to walk the Napoleon, feeling she had "missed out" on her first Camino as all the pilgrims were picked up near Orrison and bussed over to Valcarlos due to dangerous weather in mid April the previous year.
I met up with her at Roncesvalles after she had made it up and over the top. She was unimpressed due to very cold temps, and wind so strong it felt like it was "going in one ear and out the other".😳

I have walked the Napolean three times, each time leaving on April 13th, by pure chance. The weather was completely different all three times. On my second try, the route was closed as a storm passed through overnight, and the Valcarlos route was the only option. The locals know when it is safe: take their word for it and follow their advice on the day you plan to go.

April 1st is when it stops being a crime to walk the Napolean, not when it suddenly becomes a good idea.
Interesting as I’m due to start around April 13th. Thanks for the info

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, your responses are helpful. Sounds like it'll be a game-time decision. Instead of coming to SJPdP from Paris, it may be prudent to fly into Madrid, assess conditions on arrival (hopefully there will be some forum posts here from pilgrims that are already in SJPdP and then decide to head to SJPdP once I have some confirmation the route is open and safe. In the mean time, plenty of other great routes that are perfect in April.
You can stay in SJPP for a few days , it’s a beautiful town with lots of history and good food , then when the weather breaks you can go west . It only takes one good day and you’re over the wet& cold and on to the dry& cold

Thanks.
When I did it in 2017, it opened on April 3rd I think, the day I started walking. Even then we encountered snow near the top for 90 minutes or so. So it's hit or miss depending on the snow and the weather.

I've never liked the idea of going to SJPDP from the Spanish side as you usually end up taking a taxi or something from Pamplona, which seems anti-climactic (since you are going to walk these stages anyways in a few days). I flew into Biarritz last time, but next time I told myself I'd take the train from Paris or something, which to me is just a bit cooler.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can stay in SJPP for a few days , it’s a beautiful town with lots of history and good food , then when the weather breaks you can go west . It only takes one good day and you’re over the wet& cold and on to the dry& cold
That can work out well if you have not pre-booked any lodgings ahead of time. A majority of pilgrims usually pre-arrange lodging at least as far as Pamplona, so if your itinerary is already set, then cancelling bookings on spur of the moment weather changes is not usually an option without penalties.

That can work out well if you have not pre-booked any lodgings ahead of time. A majority of pilgrims usually pre-arrange lodging at least as far as Pamplona, so if your itinerary is already set, then cancelling bookings on spur of the moment weather changes is not usually an option without penalties.
I have walked out of SJPP at least five times and never made a single reservation , just lucky I guess

I have walked out of SJPP at least five times and never made a single reservation , just lucky I guess
Yes, I understand what you are saying, and it may still work for some folks especially if traveling alone, but numerous forum posts over the past few years indicate that many are no longer winging those first few days; myself included. There are definitely fewer open beds to be had now than in earlier years due to pre-booking, which eliminates many beds for walk-in pilgrims. This definitely makes it more difficult, especially if you are walking with any family members or a friend.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back