• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon Route. Why so few shelters for walkers?

Dubbydub

Hi all,

I have been reading the posts here with interest.

I am particularly saddened by the death of the pilgrim from Canada just recently. May he rest in peace.

Something struck me though, it seems that there is only one small shelter on the Napoleon mountain route.

If that is correct, I do think more should be provided. That route can turn treacherous without warning, even if pilgrims have taken weather advice (ie, it's ok) from SJPP.

From looking at google maps, it does look desolate up there if the weather suddenly turns bad.

I just wondered why there are not more basic shelters up there.

I would be willing to pay a levy to the Spanish Government if I took that route, to subsidise basic shelters for those who will walk it. It would help everyone.

Buen Camino. And happy Easter too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Following a horrible tragedy in the mountains of Scotland a number of years ago many shelters were demolished. The reasoning was that the unskilled/unwary were lured further into danger by their presence, thinking that if they pushed on they would be safe in a shelter. Children died.
It would be better to seek local knowledge/information BEFORE setting off to cross the mountain passes

I agree that pilgrims need to learn to listen to the locals regarding the weather and stay off that pass when they say it is dangerous.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
From reading accounts here, it would appear that treacherous weather on that route can happen without much warning.

So even if a pilgrim was told "yes the weather is good today" they could be caught out nearing the top in driving wind, rain, fog etc. despite their best intentions.

I take the point that sometime shelters might give a false sense of security. But surely, the numbers of people who do heed advice might benefit from a shelter during unforeseen bad weather.

If the route is snowbound, and advice is given NOT to go there, well then those who might insist on walking should be advised that shelters will be closed when the advice is not to walk that day. A bit drastic perhaps? But it might just make some walkers aware of what they might face.

I am not trying to stir things up. I just think shelters on that route for UNFORESEEN weather events would be very humane and useful to many.

To be fair the number of deaths - though very sad - are very small against the total number of people who walk.

The folk in SJPP not only know the area they will know the latest weather forecasts.

Those who are seasoned at walking the Pyernees are consistent in saying that the Nepoleon is not safe for most of the winter.

I agree that shelters will simply cause a false sense of security.

A member of the mountain rescue team in the Lake District told me that he would ban mobile phones on the hills. People think, well I can always phone for help and it leads them to set off when once they would not have dared to do so.

The shelters would only encourage the same behaviour.

I also suspect that at first there would be a rush of, oh, I must support these shelters, then the enthusiasm will tail off and the shelters will fall into disrepair and when people need them they will be useless.

So I vote No.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
To be fair the number of deaths - though very sad - are very small against the total number of people who walk.

The folk in SJPP not only know the area they will know the latest weather forecasts.

Those who are seasoned at walking the Pyernees are consistent in saying that the Nepoleon is not safe for most of the winter.

I agree that shelters will simply cause a false sense of security.

A member of the mountain rescue team in the Lake District told me that he would ban mobile phones on the hills. People think, well I can always phone for help and it leads them to set off when once they would not have dared to do so.

The shelters would only encourage the same behaviour.

I also suspect that at first there would be a rush of, oh, I must support these shelters, then the enthusiasm will tail off and the shelters will fall into disrepair and when people need them they will be useless.

So I vote No.

An honest answer, thank you.

I still think that unforeseen weather conditions can be very problematic for the not so seasoned hiker. You know, the ordinary Joe doing a first Camino, and suddenly becomes overwhelmed by unforeseen conditions.

It is a trail for all. Not just the professional hiker after all.

And I am referring to those who DID take advice about conditions, but got caught out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I suspect the people in SJPP do take into account the unforseen factor when giving advice.

I am walking via Valcarlos late April because having walked the SJPP-Roncesvalles Napoleon both ways I do not want to get caught out.

It is a fair question to raise, but I suspect after all these years of the Route being walked it is unlikely the local authorities are going to build them now.

If they thought there was a need they would have done it.

Actually there aren't as many trees as you think until you get over the top!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Reading of the snow conditions, the snow load would make it necessary to build a very robust structure.

Given the propensity of walkers to leave garbage, someone will needed to clean it from time to time too.

Reading of the snow conditions, the snow load would make it necessary to build a very robust structure.

Given the propensity of walkers to leave garbage, someone will be needed to clean it from time to time too.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back