• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

National famine walk Ireland 165 kms

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Just booked my passport and package for Irish heritage trust national famine walk 165 kms.

Passport is stamped along route were 271 families1490 men, women, and children left the small village of Strokestown Co. Roscommon bound for Canada many perished on the "coffin" ships few came back.
Looks a great walk.
IMG_20201005_154622.jpgIMG_20201005_154545.jpgIMG_20201005_160204.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just booked my passport and package for Irish heritage trust national famine walk 165 kms.

Passport is stamped along route were 271 families1490 men, women, and children left the small village of Strokestown Co. Roscommon bound for Canada many perished on the "coffin" ships few came back.
Looks a great walk.
View attachment 84515View attachment 84516View attachment 84518
I will be following you! I tried to work out accommodation a couple of years ago, but it defeated me and I walked the Barrow Way instead. I sometimes take the train out from Connolly to points along the way and walk or cycle home.

I walked the Wicklow Way (which I really enjoyed) just before Covid shut everything down. I had been debating between the WW and the FW. The FW looks very nice – definitely on my shortlist. When will you be walking it? And, just out of curiousity, what made you choose it?
Not wishing to hijack this thread but if you like long distance hikes you should look at The Ireland Way, 1000 + km.

I hope to walk in spring 2021 with my daughter she's pregnant so have to wait.
Walking with her three other kids Laoidheach, Nóinín, and Siomha and any new addition, that comes along, please god.
You can contact, Aidan Irish heritage trust Strokestown Park House, 10 euro for pack it gives you cut price entries and free snacks along route, and at Strokestown Park House.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walking with her three other kids Laoidheach, Nóinín, and Siomha and any new addition, that comes along, please god.
You can contact, Aidan Irish heritage trust Strokestown Park House, 10 euro for pack it gives you cut price entries and free snacks along route, and at Strokestown Park House.
Thanks Mick. Worth exploring as we won't be wandering too far from Ireland for some time. Maybe a 2021 project

Mick, I thought to myself "As best I know, I am Polish and LIthuanian by ancestry; although taught by Irish nuns (!!), I've not a drop of Irish blood in me, save the occasional Guinness." However, something about the Irish Famine Walk seized my soul and yanked me down a rabbit hole of discovery, information and the horror and misery which occasions this walk ... and not a whole lot about the "how" to do it? It's only a week long and surely unwise to tie myself in knots about, preparation wise (ice ax likely unnecessary, right?) but my Dad intoned "forewarned is forearmed" into this three daughters enough to always ask first. Nicely. Who knows when a Missouri grandmother can fly the pond to Dublin anyway? May 2021 has great ring to it, as my mid-April 2021 and fourth Camino along Northern Routes into Galicia would likely be complete. The 10th ring of Dante's Hell is planning in a pandemic!

Catheriam.

The Irish famine in mid 19th century is burnt deeply into the Irish psyche.The Strokestown route takes you through some beautiful country landscape, Towns and villages, and urban areas and ends on the famine memorial on Dublin quays.

The Irish Famine occurred when over 1million people died, initially started by failure of the potato crop and the English corn laws which meant plentiful food supply was under control of London Parliament and was sent from Ireland to London .

Many people took the boat to America, Canada, and beyond.
Many died on the way the Irish population fell from 8 Million to 4 Million in the space of a few years.
There is various routes around Ireland were the people walked to Dublin and caught the coffin ships to Liverpool and onto the Americas . Never to return.

It puts the current pandemic into perspective you can check out other routes by logging onto Irish Heritage Trust.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Catheriam.

The Irish famine in mid 19th century is burnt deeply into the Irish psyche.The Strokestown route takes you through some beautiful country landscape, Towns and villages, and urban areas and ends on the famine memorial on Dublin quays.

The Irish Famine occurred when over 1million people died, initially started by failure of the potato crop and the English corn laws which meant plentiful food supply was under control of London Parliament and was sent from Ireland to London .

Many people took the boat to America, Canada, and beyond.
Many died on the way the Irish population fell from 8 Million to 4 Million in the space of a few years.
There is various routes around Ireland were the people walked to Dublin and caught the coffin ships to Liverpool and onto the Americas . Never to return.

It puts the current pandemic into perspective you can check out other routes by logging onto Irish Heritage Trust.
Thank you for your reply and it is with great respect for the deep sorrow Ireland lost their men, women and children in the travel of those dreadful famines. To participate in a walk, quite literally, in their shoes, is one of my dearest wishes for 2021.

If you get a chance watch "Black 47" atmospheric gritty Irish film dealing with a fictional incident during Irish famine.
Filmed on location in Kidare and Wicklow.

Looks a great walk.
View attachment 84515View attachment 84516View attachment 84518
I did this walk last July . It was very beautiful, mostly along quiet canal paths. Be blessed.

If you get a chance watch "Black 47" atmospheric gritty Irish film dealing with a fictional incident during Irish famine.
Filmed on location in Kidare and Wicklow.
Thank you very much for this. After some searching I finally found and rented this from Google Play; it was well worth the search.
(Tip to would-be renters: pay the extra for the HD version; I wish I had.)

Icacos.
Keep an eye out for Stephan Rea Oscar nominated actor, great Irish actor great person.
Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Is there a known walking distance from AMSTERDAM to ST. JEAN via LE PUY? No matter how I phrase the question on Google I am continually taken to links from St. Jean to Santiago. I do not want to...
Due to length restraints, I’ve had to to split the story into two posts. I find it no longer ‘flows’. I suggest reading Part 1 again, link below, before reading Part 2. Regards Gerard Part 1 link...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.