• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with Spanish word

peregrina2000

Staff member
For the Spanish speakers: I am translating into English a guide to the Camino Olvidado, which goes from Bilbao to Villafranca del Bierzo. At several points I have come across the term "pista de grijo". I know it is some kind of path/track, but what is grijo? No dictionary has helped me yet, so I'm hoping for help here.

Many thanks, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you go to google image search you'll see some pictures. Looks like a white road. Gravel or similar

I didn't know the word "grijo", but what i´ve found:

"pista de grijo" is a road made of material extracted from the bottom of rivers.

Those rounded small stones.

Saludos,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi laura,

I believe the words stand for stone trail.

Not 100% sure.

I suspect Grijo to be a mispronunciation of Guijo, in which case Pista de Grijo would mean Gravel Road.

I am reliably informed by my prospective Spanish daughter in law that it translates to " a track or small road covered with pebbles"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Laurie!
It probably isn't relevant, but Grijó is a Portuguese parish, located in the municipality of Vila Nova de Gaia. It has a population of 5,120 inhabitants . It's about 10 kms south of Porto. There are other "grijo" parishes, too. Must be a Portuguese word.

Last edited:
Thanks, Stephen, That was the first word I thought of too, since I remembered the resting spot outside the monastery just south of Porto. But the Spanish word doesn't have an accent, and I've found that "j" in Portuguese rarely translates into a "j" in Spanish, since they have such different sounds. J in Spanish, in case you are interested, frequently appears as an "x" ("sh") in Portuguese -- caja/caixa baja/baixa, etc.

Anyway, I am learning all kinds of words with this translation. The most fascinating to date has been "paso canadiense" -- bet you didn't know that's what they call one of those cattle grates that human beings walk over but livestock won't. Wonder where the Canadian part came from. Anyway, thanks everyone for your help, and I'll be back, I'm sure! Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for that tidbit Laurie. This past weekend I was in Guadarrama outside of Madrid and during a walk with a Spanish woman we crossed over one of those grids. She asked me if I knew what it was. Seeing that we also have them here in Holland for the cows, I confirmed that I did but she didn't tell me what it was called. Now off to find out why. Will report back if I find the answer.

update: I googled orígen, historia and etimología paso canadiense but nothing came up. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Invented in Canada by National Parks.
Regarding the "paso canadiense," I don't question your explanation concerning the origin, but I do find it interesting that while in Banff National Park a couple of years ago -- which of course is located in Canada and is a National Park -- these devices were called "Texas gates." And to make this even more of a dilemma, I grew up in Texas, where they were called "cattle guards." Ah, the vagaries of language, especially the English one. How a non-native English speaker ever learns this language is beyond me :rolleyes:

Jim

Anyway, I am learning all kinds of words with this translation. The most fascinating to date has been "paso canadiense" -- bet you didn't know that's what they call one of those cattle grates that human beings walk over but livestock won't. Wonder where the Canadian part came from. Anyway, thanks everyone for your help, and I'll be back, I'm sure! Laurie
In Ireland they are called Australian gates or just cattle grids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I guess the true origin will remain a mystery, but in any event, in Spanish it's paso canadiense!

I do have another question. The guide mentions "humilladero" a lot. I think it's a stone structure with four posts, with or without roof, with a crucifix inside. I have a vague memory when I walked through Avila this summer that that was the name given to the place with the best view over Avila and its walls.

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a word in English for it? Or if I'm wrong, what is it?

Thanks much, Laurie

Well, we seem to have gotten off-track here with the Canadian/Texas/Australian gate discussion, and I plead guilty to contributing to this digression. But can we generally agree that, in answer to the original question, that "pista de grijo" may be interpreted as meaning "gravel road"? That would seem logical to me, given how much of the Camino is actually a gravel road or gravel-surfaced pathway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, Jim, I have already incorporated "gravel road" or path into my translation. :) But I do think these anecdotes are quite interesting.

Any guesses on "humilladero"?
Sorry, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the consensus of the real Spanish speakers might be.

Well, I guess the true origin will remain a mystery, but in any event, in Spanish it's paso canadiense!

I do have another question. The guide mentions "humilladero" a lot. I think it's a stone structure with four posts, with or without roof, with a crucifix inside. I have a vague memory when I walked through Avila this summer that that was the name given to the place with the best view over Avila and its walls.

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a word in English for it? Or if I'm wrong, what is it?

Thanks much, Laurie

Good morning Laurie.
I've googled humilladero and found this blog (in Spanish) with lots of information about them:
http://diccionarioalcarria.blogspot.se/2008/02/humilladero.html

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Interesting article, thanks Susanna!

If I understand correctly those pictures of crosses on a pedestal often seen at the entry of a villiage which we posted in another thread are humilladeros?

I'm Spaniard and i din't know this word either.
Looking at the site posted by Susanna, it seems that there are two me
anings for humilladero: one is a cross or image for religious purposes and the other is a column for punishing "bad people" by exposing them for a period of time. The second meaning is commonly known in Spanish as "picota".
The phrase "poner a alguien en la picota" would be today to put someone (for instance a corrupt) on the media.
So, I would bet for "cross or image for religious purposes".

I'm Spaniard and i din't know this word either.
Looking at the site posted by Susanna, it seems that there are two me
anings for humilladero: one is a cross or image for religious purposes and the other is a column for punishing "bad people" by exposing them for a period of time. The second meaning is commonly known in Spanish as "picota".
The phrase "poner a alguien en la picota" would be today to put someone (for instance a corrupt) on the media.
So, I would bet for "cross or image for religious purposes".

Thanks to everyone, and based on your comment Pelegrin, I see that this is not a common word. I will probably leave it in the text of the guide in Spanish, with an explanation, since there doesn't seem to be just one word in English to describe its several meanings. Very interesting. Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting article, thanks Susanna!

If I understand correctly those pictures of crosses on a pedestal often seen at the entry of a villiage which we posted in another thread are humilladeros?

This is the thread: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/crosses-along-the-camino.22753/

Yes, I think that's right LT.

I just looked back through those pictures and I would say that based on my understanding, the typical "humilladero" is Beatrice's picture "before San Justo de la Vega" (#5 on the thread) and Wayfarer's first picture on post #13 on the thread.

Buen camino, Laurie

Well, I am by no means an expert, but based on the link Susanna posted here, I think it doesn't include those crucifixes with Christ on the cross or other carved figures, like Mary. But I don't really know.

I did notice that Susanna's article includes a picture of that spot in Avila where you cross the river and have a fabulous look back over the walls. It's the fourth picture in the website and if you look closely you can actually see the walls of Avila over to the right (you'll see this in person if you walk the Levante this summer, LT!)

So the meaning I'm coming up with is that it is an unadorned cross, with or without some other stone structure around it. Or some kind of pillory (?).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, I realize this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one, I'm asking for help from a fluent Spanish speaker. I practice Spanish with Rosetta Stone. It's been great except sometimes when I have questions there is nobody to ask and here is an example.

I do not understand WHY in these 4 examples, the adjective is different.
Why is the first dessert un postre FRANCÉS and the second comida FRANCESCA?
Why is the montaña JAPONESA and the restaurante JAPONÉS ???

Help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 7.34.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 7.34.45 AM.png
    996.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes, I realize this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one, I'm asking for help from a fluent Spanish speaker. I practice Spanish with Rosetta Stone. It's been great except sometimes when I have questions there is nobody to ask and here is an example.

Help?

Because the noun respectively is male therefore adjective male also.
Noun female so adjective female also.
It is el postre = male and la comida = female .
la montaña and el restaurante.

Last edited:

Help?
El postre
La comida
la montaña
el restaurante

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Because the noun repectively is male therefore adjective male also.
Noun female so adjective female also.
It is el postre = male and la comida = female .
la montaña and el restaurante.
:::slapping my forehead:::: Doh!
Thanks! I think I need another cup of coffee

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.