• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need opinions please from those that have done both routes...coastal and central Portugues

hikermomma04

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2023
I'm looking for opinions about which stretch everyone thinks is a prettier hike.....out of Vigo to Redondela vs Redondela to Pontevedra? Due to time constraints, I'm going to have to pick one.
Yes, I'm skipping a section and yes I've considered all the possible options and yes, I know some people are going to be opposed to this. In spite of all that, I would really just love to hear from those who have hiked both, and what they would choose if they had to make this choice. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm looking for opinions about which stretch everyone thinks is a prettier hike.....out of Vigo to Redondela vs Redondela to Pontevedra? Due to time constraints, I'm going to have to pick one.
Yes, I'm skipping a section and yes I've considered all the possible options and yes, I know some people are going to be opposed to this. In spite of all that, I would really just love to hear from those who have hiked both, and what they would choose if they had to make this choice. Thanks!
Vigo to Redondela is more scenic because you have a walk through the woods overlooking the estuary. Redondela to Pontevedra, as I recall, has more walking along roads and through suburban areas.

Agree. Once you're on the ruta del agua (with the blue wiggle line) out of Vigo, it's views galore.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having walked a good number of caminos, including the Portugues from Porto last September, I can't say enough about the joy of walking along the water. We had plenty of time, so we zigzagged between coastal and central. While we enjoyed the cities and towns along the central, our spirits were highest walking along the coastal (which of course has its own share of wonderful towns, cities and villages). I vote for coastal.

I have done the full length of both options from Porto. They are 2 of the 11 Camino routes I have hiked. The most memorable of the Portuguese is the coastal route from Porto to near the Spanish border. It may not be an option for you this time but I recommend it in the future. The coastal bit is almost flat, so physically unchallenging, but it’s incredibly beautiful. That’s my opinion!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done Vigo to Santiago 3 times, Vigo to Redondela is half city and half wooded path...Redondela to Pontevedra is much more interesting, a few climbs early, lots of woods after the first 3rd of the day and if you take the Complimentario route towards the end you will be rewarded with a lovely walk in the woods...along a small stream....magical..

I have done the full length of both options from Porto. They are 2 of the 11 Camino routes I have hiked. The most memorable of the Portuguese is the coastal route from Porto to near the Spanish border. It may not be an option for you this time but I recommend it in the future. The coastal bit is almost flat, so physically unchallenging, but it’s incredibly beautiful. That’s my opinion!
I was planning to start my Camino on the Coastal Way in Oia (Santa Maria) due to time constraints. The best way to get there that I found is to fly to Porto, take the train to Caminha, ferry to A Guarda, bus to Oia. I am craving the coastal views you talked about to kick off my Camino. Do you think I should walk a day in Portugal then travel by bus/train to Baiona and walk on to Santiago de Compostela from there, instead?

If so, which section on Portugal is best for ocean views?

I was planning to start my Camino on the Coastal Way in Oia (Santa Maria) due to time constraints. The best way to get there that I found is to fly to Porto, take the train to Caminha, ferry to A Guarda, bus to Oia. I am craving the coastal views you talked about to kick off my Camino. Do you think I should walk a day in Portugal then travel by bus/train to Baiona and walk on to Santiago de Compostela from there, instead?

If so, which section on Portugal is best for ocean views?
It's really nice to walk from the Cathedral down to the Duoro river, then turn left at the sea.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's really nice to walk from the Cathedral down to the Duoro river, then turn left at the sea.
I agree entirely, except my memory is turning right at the sea. If you are walking west to the ocean, as I believe you are, then isn't a left turn south and a right turn north? Or am I hopelessly lost (not the first time)?

I agree entirely, except my memory is turning right at the sea. If you are walking west to the ocean, as I believe you are, then isn't a left turn south and a right turn north? Or am I hopelessly lost (not the first time)?
Of course you are correct - I was thinking of my other left. 😂

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back