• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal to central

niamhburke

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I am wondering where’s the best place to cut inland on the costal route? In Vila de Conde or Caminha? I want a mixture of different terrains and landscapes; which one would be a better place to cut into the central route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both are nice
From Vila do Conde on the Central route you pass nice places like Barcelos Ponte de Lima. You can stay at Portugal’s best privat albergue Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães and climb to the highest point of the entire caminho Português , the Alto de Portela Grande between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães .450 meters above sealevel

From Caminha at the coastal route you have a nice walk along the Atlantic coast, nice towns such as Viana do Castelo and Caminha and a nice walk at the Ecopista path alongside the Minho river

I walked both several times
Hard to choose but if it is your first time I should cut to the central route in Vila do Conde and experience more north Portugal as it is.

Last edited:
If you cross at Vila do Conde, there are multiple routes. I was using Organic Maps with either the built in Camion Portugues tracks or the Dutch KML, not sure which. My daughters had Wise Pilgrim up. We followed that. The difference at the start seemed to be that Wise Pilgrim joined the aqueduct further out of town. The bonus was we spotted a Pingos done on Wise Pilgrim and stopped in for some fresh OJ. I can't remember where the paths separated and joined, but we got to Barcelos just fine, though waterlogged from the downpours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am wondering where’s the best place to cut inland on the costal route? In Vila de Conde or Caminha? I want a mixture of different terrains and landscapes; which one would be a better place to cut into the central route?
Hi,Niamh, I walked out ofCaminha heading for Valenca and Tui, but instead of turning right out of town for some reason I turned left and was nearly at the ferry when a Portuguese man stopped his car and said' are you catching the ferry?' Whoops! Of course I had to turn around and retrace my steps.It was a great walk and I went along the Episcopa next to the river.But by the time I got to Valenca I was really hot and tired so I stopped a taxi for a lift for the last few miles into Tui.
I kind of felt that I'd let the team down! But sometimes you've just got to go with how you feel.Just sorry I didn't get to explore Valenca,but maybe next year? But it was still a lovely walk,and I slept well😁

Both are nice
From Vila do Conde on the Central route you pass nice places like Barcelos Ponte de Lima. You can stay at Portugal’s best privat albergue Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães and climb to the highest point of the entire caminho Português , the Alto de Portela Grande between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães .450 meters above sealevel

From Caminha at the coastal route you have a nice walk along the Atlantic coast, nice towns such as Viana do Castelo and Caminha and a nice walk at the Ecopista path alongside the Minho river

Hard to choose but if it is your first time I should cut to the central route in Vila do Conde and experience more north Portugal as it is.
Don't miss Barcelona on market day..... Thursday, if memory serves... amazing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,Niamh, I walked out ofCaminha heading for Valenca and Tui, but instead of turning right out of town for some reason I turned left and was nearly at the ferry when a Portuguese man stopped his car and said' are you catching the ferry?' Whoops! Of course I had to turn around and retrace my steps.It was a great walk and I went along the Episcopa next to the river.But by the time I got to Valenca I was really hot and tired so I stopped a taxi for a lift for the last few miles into Tui.
I kind of felt that I'd let the team down! But sometimes you've just got to go with how you feel.Just sorry I didn't get to explore Valenca,but maybe next year? But it was still a lovely walk,and I slept well😁
the Episcopa was a Greek bishop in the 9th century .
you probably mean the Ecopista, the path alongside the Minho river from Caminha to Valença do Minho
beautifull walk
No need to walk in one day to Valença or even Tui. Halfway Valença is the town of Vila Nova de Cerveira with all needs for pilgrims among others an albergue.

Myself and a few friends cut inland from Vila do Conde 2 weeks ago. There does not appear to be an official route to link the Coastal to the Central route from Vila do Conde.Some of us took a taxi to Arcos, the rest walked nearly 10km along a road with no footpaths and many bends. They would not recommend walking that road

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just completed the CP in April and crossed over from Caminha to Valenca. I stayed overnight halfway, in Vila Nova de Cerveira at the very modern and well equipped "Pousada de Juventude", where I did all my laundry.🙂
The Ecovia Rio Minho is a very easy, scenic walk along the river;I really enjoyed this part of my Camino. Next time,(already planning), I am going to cross over from Vila do Conde to Rates.IMG20230415221243.jpgIMG20230415221236.jpg

the Episcopa was a Greek bishop in the 9th century .
you probably mean the Ecopista, the path alongside the Minho river from Caminha to Valença do Minho
beautifull walk
No need to walk in one day to Valença or even Tui. Halfway Valença is the town of Vila Nova de Cerveira with all needs for pilgrims among others an albergue.
Ecopista,yep,thats the fella👍

Both are nice

Totally agree with you re crossing at Vila do Conde. You get a nice walk by tghe river and the coast and then all the history of the inland towns. Wonderful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just finished the portuguese from Lisbon crossing to central at Vila do Conde - just go up to the Santa Clara Monastry and where you see the Aquaduct turn left and follow for approx 4k - at one stage early on still in town you need to skirt around a fenced off corn field but just follow the main road around and to the left at ?roundabout/intersection - you can see the aquaduct ahead anyway - you will pick up camino markers near here:)

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back