• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning 4 days on Coastal and 6 days on Central route of Camino from Porto

LUISA G

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi, I am starting my Camino from Porto on The 5th of September. I would love to do 4 days on coastal and then switch to Central for 6 days.
Is this doable and if so where should I plan to transition to Central. I only have 10 days and I have been told there is a portion that can be taken on a qui boat transfer.
Anyone with knowledge of this .
I would so greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The distance from Porto to SDC is about 244 km along the Central Route. You could do that at around 25 km/day in ten days. But, expect to add a day doing the Coastal or Litoral routes even if you walk over to the Central route at some stage, and at least one more for the Variante Espiritual. Someone might have stages that would work to allow you to do this in 10 days, but it looks like a challenge to me.

This is perfectly do-able as long as you don't insist on finishing your walk in Santiago. Other factors involve your need for rest day(s), carrying a pack vs using pack transport services, weather, desire to explore, etc. Of course, others may chime in and say, of course this is doable to which I say...nonsense. I recently completed Porto to Santiago via the coast and took 17 days of walking plus 2 rest days and enjoyed all of it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is perfectly do-able as long as you don't insist on finishing your walk in Santiago.
@Rickcrna is, of course, right. I always assume when a question like this is asked that people are interested in the Pilgrimage to Santiago, not just walking as far as they can along a camino route. The OP could complete the Pilgrimage along the Central Route in the time they have available if indeed they were intending to reach Santiago - the 25 km/day or so required is not an unusually demanding distance for a fit person. The difficulty I foresee is the extra time that will be needed to undertake the Coastal or Littoral and the Variante Espiritual, which would require longer walking days. I haven't calculated how much longer on average, I was hoping someone who had done something similar might have chimed in on this by now.

Hi Luisa,
This is what I would do if I only had 10 days and wanted some of the Coastal and some of the Central route, assuming you want to finish in Santiago. You can walk from Porto to Viana do Castelo in four days easily enough. Or you could shorten the distance by taking the tram out of Porto to Matosinhos and starting your walk there. From Viana do Castelo you could take a bus or a train to Valença, walk across the bridge into Spain, and start your six days on the Central route from Tui to Santiago the next day. I think you would have to skip the Variante Espiritual though. You should check the distances, but I think it is doable. Hope this helps,
Rowena

The distance from Porto to SDC is about 244 km along the Central Route. You could do that at around 25 km/day in ten days. But, expect to add a day doing the Coastal or Litoral routes even if you walk over to the Central route at some stage, and at least one more for the Variante Espiritual. Someone might have stages that would work to allow you to do this in 10 days, but it looks like a challenge to me.
Thank you for your advice

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Luisa,
This is what I would do if I only had 10 days and wanted some of the Coastal and some of the Central route, assuming you want to finish in Santiago. You can walk from Porto to Viana do Castelo in four days easily enough. Or you could shorten the distance by taking the tram out of Porto to Matosinhos and starting your walk there. From Viana do Castelo you could take a bus or a train to Valença, walk across the bridge into Spain, and start your six days on the Central route from Tui to Santiago the next day. I think you would have to skip the Variante Espiritual though. You should check the distances, but I think it is doable. Hope this helps,
Rowe.
Thank you so much, would you be so kind to give me more specifics as to where I would catch the tram and the bus details or atleast where I could research all of this . I am so greatful for your attention. (moderator note - personal email address removed. Members can contact each other via private conversation. Click or tap member's name and choose "start conversation.')

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rickcrna is, of course, right. I always assume when a question like this is asked that people are interested in the Pilgrimage to Santiago, not just walking as far as they can along a camino route. The OP could complete the Pilgrimage along the Central Route in the time they have available if indeed they were intending to reach Santiago - the 25 km/day or so required is not an unusually demanding distance for a fit person. The difficulty I foresee is the extra time that will be needed to undertake the Coastal or Littoral and the Variante Espiritual, which would require longer walking days. I haven't calculated how much longer on average, I was hoping someone who had done something similar might have chimed in on this by now.
Thank you, my plans are to finish the pilgrimage to Santiago. Is there a boat that can help me advance from the coastal to the central??
Thank you for your attention

Thank you, my plans are to finish the pilgrimage to Santiago. Is there a boat that can help me advance from the coastal to the central??
Thank you for your attention
I cannot think of a ferry service that links somewhere on the coastal route to the central route. I understand that there is a ferry service at Caminha to continue the coastal route. The people that I met on the central route that had started on the coastal or littoral had made the transition much earlier than that. Looking at Brierley's CP guide, there appear to be options at Vila do Conde to walk to Rates and at Caminha to walk to Valenca. Neither seem to involve a ferry. I haven't walked either of those.

The ferry from Arousa to Padron is on the Variante Espiritual, and isn't a link from the coastal to central routes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Luisa,
Rowena
Thank you so much, are you able to give me the specifics of the second choice the bus or train to Valenca where is train station located?? Thank you for your help

Why don’t you plug in Caminha to Valenca using rome to rio app and you will discover the bus options. Do your research!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, I found the information about the bus and train options on Rome2Rio after I saw your question. And Google maps will show you where the station is. Do you have a guidebook?

Perhaps @LUISA G doesn't know about Rome2Rio.

Here's a link:
Thank you, never heard of Rome 2rio
Will start researching
Yes, I found the information about the bus and train options on Rome2Rio after I saw your question. And Google maps will show you where the station is. Do you have a guidebook?
I do not have a guide book but I will definitely look at Rome2rio Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I see that Ivar is currently selling the 2023 Portuguese guidebook for 5 Euros on the forum store. That’s a real bargain! I would recommend that you order one now. It will arrive in plenty of time for the start of your Camino.
I walked from Porto to Santiago in 2019 and will be doing so again this October. I love planning and have my stages tentatively figured out before I go. Any other questions you have I would be happy to answer.
Buen Camino!

Hi Luisa,

I’m walking a mix of the Coastal/Littoral/Central (and including the Variante Espirituel which includes a boat journey from Vilanova de Arousa to Padron - bookable in advance) from Porto to Santiago de C from 26/8 to 9/9. I’ve included 1 days rest in this itinerary.

I have to say I’ve found John Brierley’s Camino Portuguese book (available on Amazon for around £17) invaluable for planning - he clearly indicates where you can cross from Littoral to Coastal to Central, plus I’ve received some wonderful advice from people on this Forum.

Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back