• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albergue on top of Santa Luzia, Viana do Castelo

TasPolly

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese camino (2018)
Just would like to share finding Hostel Templo Santa Lucia on taking the finicular to see Santuario de Santa Luzia at Viana do Castelo. Opened in March and with museum.
https://templosantaluzia.org
Contacts
ADDRESS
Monte de Santa Luzia,Apartado 214901-009 Viana do Castelo
TELEPHONE
+351 258 823 173. +351 961 660 300
EMAIL
geral@templosantaluzia.org

An option with an amazing view, but limited food and services on top and I know nothing of cost etc.
We also found last week the finicular was running to 1800hrs, not 1700 as on its website.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I stayed there last night. Reserved my bed on booking.com for €25 (!) I don't know how much it would be if you showed up without a reservation. English not really spoken but very helpful staff. I was the only guest in the 38 bed albergue : )

Stunning location, up on the Mount, right beside the Templo. There is a bar up there but I shopped down in the town before taking the funicular up the hill. It was very clean, as you would expect, with kitchen and separate showers/toilets for men and women. Washer and dryer not plumbed in yet. Handwashed my things in the bathroom sink but there is nowhere 'official' to hang the washing up.

Fun walk this morning down the hill through the forest on the PR9 marked trail, then via the Ribeiro do Pego stream/pool (using GPS) to rejoin the Camino de la Costa at the Quinta de Bon Viagem/Rua Dr Malhão.

Attachments

• IMG_20180427_190756.jpg
    IMG_20180427_190756.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180427_172437.jpg
    IMG_20180427_172437.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Correction on the price! I was charged €15 NOT €25 when I got there. Maybe there is an issue with booking.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I stayed there last night. Reserved my bed on booking.com for €25 (!) I don't know how much it would be if you showed up without a reservation. English not really spoken but very helpful staff. I was the only guest in the 38 bed albergue : )

Stunning location, up on the Mount, right beside the Templo. There is a bar up there but I shopped down in the town before taking the funicular up the hill. It was very clean, as you would expect, with kitchen and separate showers/toilets for men and women. Washer and dryer not plumbed in yet. Handwashed my things in the bathroom sink but there is nowhere 'official' to hang the washing up.

Fun walk this morning down the hill through the forest on the PR9 marked trail, then via the Ribeiro do Pego stream/pool (using GPS) to rejoin the Camino de la Costa at the Quinta de Bon Viagem/Rua Dr Malhão.
I am going to stay here in 2 weeks. Is there a trail off the road going down? I see it on Google Maps, but I can't tell. Did you walk that? I'm heading directly to the beach and then north, so I don't necessarily want to go back down into town. Thanks!

Thanks for all the great information and the heads up on this one. Added to the list at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

:)
One note to add--quite a few years ago now, on our first trip round bits of Portugal, we stayed at the Quinta de Boa Viagem, north of Viana do Castello. This is owned by a member of an old Portuguese aristocratic family, long-since become normal "non-aristocratic" types (the proprietor was an engineer from Porto, I think), and the family property was just beginning to be restored as a country place to stay at that time. It has since been much more restored. A lovely place, but not really peregrino prices. (It might be nice for a splurge.)

BUT the interesting thing was, at the entrance to the Quinta, just as you drive into the property, there is a chapel to Santiago. It is kept locked, but while we were there, the owner opened it for us to show it off. It has a large, barred but open, window at the front, and he explained that pilgrims would occasionally drop money through the window, and that he used those funds to maintain the chapel. There was a striking statue of Santiago in the chapel.

Finding a way walking north on the non-coastal roads, from the hill of Santa Luzia to go by this chapel, you might find it rewarding.

1679768686499.png

Bom caminho!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back