• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New hostel coming, north of Tomar in Areias

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
Today, there was a story in the middle-Tejo local news, about the coming completion of a new municipal albergue about 20 km north of Tomar in Areias. The story confused me at first, because the bigger municipality of which Areias is a part, is Ferreira de Zezere, which is east of the caminho--but the borders of these municipalities are convoluted, and Areias must be in the very west of FdZ.

From Gronze---------------See below: ⬇️

1692494213782.png

Story, translated:

Mayor of Ferreira do Zêzere, Bruno Gomes, the assistant to the mayor, Paulo Rodrigues, the head of division, Madalena Batista and the company Odraude, carried out a technical visit today to accompany the works of the Hostel, in the old school of Areias, already in the completion phase.

The adaptation and conservation works of the building of the former primary school in Areias have been proceeding according to plan, meeting the stipulated deadlines. The former primary school, in the municipality of Ferreira do Zêzere, will be transformed into a Pilgrims' Hostel, within the scope of the Portuguese Way to Santiago, with the municipality awarded the works worth 115,000 euros.

“The building, which is the object of this intervention, is located in a central area of the urban center of Areias, parish seat, with a privileged pedestrian and road connection to Largo da Igreja Matriz, as well as other places in the surroundings” , the municipality said in a statement.

It should be remembered that the works, which have an execution period of 180 days, will make it possible to recover a building that is “obsolete, in need of improvement works and without a use that gives it the adjusted use”, he adds.

The recovery is guided by the “authenticity and memory of the space, reusing it as a hostel, carrying out a requalification action both inside and outside, passing through the division of space, namely creating a compartmentalized area that serves as a bedroom and adapting the sanitary facilities the intended purpose, as well as the improvement of the outer space, making it dignified and adapted to its enjoyment”. [I think what this means is they put up some inner walls to create a dormitory and improve the bathroom facilities--it looks as if they also added an annex to the building for common space inside.]

Pilgrim hostels aim to provide basic conditions for pilgrims heading to Santiago de Compostela (Spain). As a general rule, they offer a bed/bunk in a dormitory, bathrooms/toilets, showers, laundry space, living space and communal kitchen where the pilgrim can prepare his meals.

The award value of the contract is €115,000.00 and the execution period is 180 days. The building is located at Rua Casa do Povo, Union of the parishes of Areias and Pias, municipality of Ferreira do Zêzere, becoming part of the Public Network of Hostels on the Camino de Santiago.

Link to original story, in Portuguese, with photos:

This should make for a pleasant day's distance, starting in Tomar. It's a municipal albergue, so it should be reasonably priced.

Bom caminho!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Doing a little Google map tracking and matching photos, I think this is likely its location:

Note that in the spring photo, pre-renovation (visible in Google Streetview), the building has a small shrine honoring Fatima at the roadside. We have one almost identical to this outside the old school, now a municipal social-support building, on the caminho route in north-of-the-tracks Vila Nova da Barquinha, very close to us!

Also note that the road marked M527 on Google Maps has a very small sign marking "Rua Casa do Povo," back at the main street where the café is...

1692498774444.png

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm pretty sure (but may be wrong!) that the caminho has been rerouted and we followed the arrows through Areias and didn't go through Vila Verde when we walked in May this year. We stayed at Quinta da Cortica - great stay. There were several times we ended up 'off route' according to Wisepilgrim App but were following arrows. Can anyone who has walked recently confirm this? Linda

Great news !!

Areias is a very pleasant village.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Heart Way Pilgrim's house used to be in this area. But it is now permanently closed, so this will be a welcome improvement.
There *was* once an Albergue in the village itself as I understand things, and my impression from chat there last year, passing through twice BTW, is that they have decided to turn the old, defunct Albergue into a new Albergue.

There *is* a private and pretty secretive private Pilgrim place inside the legal territory of the Municipality I *think* (could possibly be in a different nearby Municipality), I met the owner of it who has a beautiful new (opened IIRC 2 weeks before I passed by) restaurant opposite the petrol station (where I slept outside), and he's a good man indeed, he provided some great free food and booze in return for some civil (and fun) conversation. His chef is brilliant too, as is the chef's lovely wife.

The guy didn't mention it to me as potentially a place to stay, but then it was in the exact wrong direction anyway so I would have said thanks but no, and I think that's why he didn't. Also he quite clearly saw that sleeping out was no problem for me at all.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back