Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New book published

Ribeirasacra

Time of past OR future Camino
the highway
Short video about a new book published about eh Camino routes in the Province of Lugo.
This short video is from the TV station covering the small town of Chantada. The book was presented in Monforte de Lemos. Hence most of this news piece is about the Camino de Invierno.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xayy-V9r0EM[/youtube]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven´t seen the book in the video.
I have, however, seen the new Spanish guidebook on the Invierno, written by head of the Invierno group in O Barco de Valdeorras. It looks EXCELLENT; ring-bound, glossy, maps and photos, with listings for lodging and restaurants I missed utterly while compiling the CSJ info. I will give it a good workout next week, when I (ojala) meet up with WinterPilgrim and his Dutch scouts for a run over the mountainous route between OBarco and Monforte.

It is:
"Camino de Santiago: Guia del Camino de Invierno," by José D. Rúa Pérez, from Editorial A Pena De Agua Edicions. At almost 25 Euros it isn´t cheap, but when you´re walking so close to winter, you kinda want all the info you can get...

It is available from the caminoinverno de valdeorras website. I will post the full link once I have beta-tested the book!

Great news, guys. It is looking more and more like I'll be walking the Invierno this summer and I will definitely check out this guide after Rebekah gives it the once over. Thanks! Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Laurie -

I look forward to reading about your experiences on this route - I'm keeping it my back pocket for a future camino - either 2012 or 2013.

lynne

I am back in one piece from the Invierno again.
Waymarking is much improved. It is still a long way from the almost constant yellow arrows along the Frances, but that is one of the charms!

I did not get lost this time, not even once. The hiking was quite strenuous, one of my seasoned companions likened this trail to the Camino Primitivo in its uphill and downhill aspect. (snow is not a real consideration, as the area is mostly riverine microclimate. Palm trees are growing up there!) Now that I am home again, I am doing a very thorough update of the CSJ Guide, this time with lots more telephone numbers and info. on the polideportivos available as well as 3 or 4 casas rurales and albergues set to open along the Invierno within the next month or so. Things are picking up out there!

Most striking is how this route is so poorly named... You really cannot do it comfortably in Winter, at least not until more accommodation opens in the remote areas, and the trail is better conditioned for wet weather. It would be so much better if named the Via de las Viñas, perhaps -- it is lined almost front to back with vineyards. And beehives. And slate mines. It is very beautiful, and very Galician.

I have the text of my update pretty well finished. I hope to add a full set of GPS tracks, and maybe even elevations, soon as my compañeros get back to the Netherlands and upload their info. Meantime, anyone who has a pressing need for the "beta" version of the update, please contact me directly -- I am holding up the CSJ for a little while until I get those maps!

Rebekah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Rebekah,

I am still deciding what route to continue on after I complete the Camino de Madrid (approx. May 14th), and the Invierno is definitely a possibility. I have the opportunity to purchase a GPS before I leave the States, do you think it is a necessity for this route, or can a person with a fairly good sense-of-direction get by without one?

Thanks, alipilgrim

that is great news, Rebekah! can't wait for your new csj guide! I'll wait for the official 'release' as I'm not in a hurry.

are these those netherlandese from one of the previous threads, with george? if so, I am hoping to get a surprise mail with feedback soon. yey!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back