• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New guide book review: Hiking The Camino de Santiago

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm tempted to order this just to relish its many advances over Brierley and think about my next Camino Frances, even though I'm try to focus on Le Puy to SJPP, which I'm doing this Sept/Oct.

This really looks like a huge step forward.

Hm, 3.4 ounces (96 g) heavier than the Brierley’s. Also gives "stages", something I really don't like / need. Plus photos to add to the volume. Sorry, I know there is something better needed than what the Brierley guide provides, but it seems that the CSJ guide is still the better choice, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the lovely review, russellg99! Hope you are having a wonderful time on the camino! :)

Regarding the weight of Hiking the Camino, the book also includes the additional stages to Finisterre and Muxía, and weighs less than carrying Brierley's Francés and Finisterre guides together. We're also working on an e-version for a lighter alternative.

We chose to organize by stage/chapter because we find the layout more user-friendly and also because including detailed topographical maps means we had to split up the maps into small units that would show enough detail. We definitely encourage readers to walk longer or shorter stages that meet their needs and we provide all the information and distances for intermediate stops and have some suggestions for alternate stages (longer and shorter) on our website: http://www.hikingthecamino.com/plan/when-to-go/fast-and-slow-itineraries.

There's certainly a wide range of what people want in a guidebook (thorough v. light, visual v. verbal, etc.) so I encourage everyone to find what works for them and be kind to those with other preferences. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
josephgabriel said:
thanks all, it's on it's way!

You will NOT be disappointed...Buen Camino!

Lots of great history/trivia, real maps, not sketches, very little of the "turn right past the vineyard and continue on the dirt road" type of stuff which no one needs or reads. Plus GPS and web links.

This one looks like a real winner.

I received my copy today and the first impression is HEAVY (402 g). It it really filled with good info but all the preparation pages could be just on the web instead :) I like the fact that JB have a "cut out markings" in his book on those pages :)

Nice pictures but they add to the weight as well and don't bring that much to a guidebook. Or I should say that scenery pics gives me a view on what to expect but close ups on door handles, grapes, butterflies and people are things I can manage without.

I like the maps with correct scale and topology but I miss a legend to the markings and the route is very hard to see in red on green. The warnings could be clearer on the map. I don't know why but I would prefer to have the maps the the other way even if that makes north to end up in the bottom of the page. Now I have to read backwards on for instance page 57, if you follow the route with your eyes you have to do a jump forward to get read the names instead of having them in the reading direction. But I know that a lot of people want North up so I can understand why it is as it is (personally I always turn my map to align with reality).

I like the starting chapter of the regions with weather info and I really like the web site and I like the tone in the book and that the route to Finsterra/Muxia is included.

But will it be the book I bring with me, I don't know yet. I have JB's book, a Swedish book, JB's book with just the charts one will go with me and I haven't decided yet. As I walk by my self I like to have a book that give me some guidance on the way but I don't know how much weight I'm prepared to put in the backpack to get historic info and a lot of pictures.

I still looking for the perfect book to bring, good maps, hight curves, short description on route where it is known to be tricky to see the route markings, available places to eat and sleep, water and so on. I would love to take my books and put them in a blender and filter out the best parts from them :)

The Swedish book is quite ok but a little bit outdated even if it is from 2012 and the maps are horrible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm wondering if Amazon has a sense of humor. I just went to their site to check out the reviews on this new guidebook (all very positive) and listed on the page as things that "customers also bought" were the movie The Way and compeed.

I purchased this book on May 21, 2013 and after a couple of months of evaluating this and JB's book have decided to take Brierley's. I like them both very much but for different reasons.

The eBook version of "Hiking the Camino de Santiago" is scheduled to be released on September 1, 2013 only a few days into my journey. So, with luck I will have both books available to me for my walk as well as the eBook version of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago".

My knowledge of the eBook is from contacting the authors -> Thanks for your interest! We are hoping to have the ebook available by September 1. I will send you an email when it's available.
Best,
Anna

Enjoy getting lost with JB!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I haven't walked my pilgrimage yet but I have read both guides. Or I should say I've read the Village to Village Guide and tried to read Brierley's Guide. JB gets me lost just trying to read his directions.

I like that JB's guide is lighter weight but I find the long narrow pages and smaller print more difficult to read. I do agree that some of the photographs in the VTV Guide are a bit superfluous but they do make for a pretty book and I think the author is trying to get the pilgrim to slow down and appreciate the beauty of their surroundings. And they really don't take up any more room than Brierley's "internal journey" sections of his guide. Of which I've never made it through even one before becoming bored and rolling my eyes. I'm a spiritual person but don't really appreciate some one telling me how I should be spiritual on any given day.

I will probably wind up taking both guides. JB'S in print and the VTV in e form.

Has anyone had experience using the CSJ Guide? How did you like it? How easy was it to follow?

You don't really need a guidebook at all for step by step directions as the Camino Frances is so clearly marked.

I have the Brierly guide and it has served me well as an overview and a bit of bed time reading. At least as far as Acebo ( another superb albergue and dining room).

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back