• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New hiking boots vs old comfortable running sneakers?

metfan

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie. Going end of September to early Oct
Hi all. I am going to do the last 100km of Camino the end of September to early October. I am a newbie. I know there are plenty of footwear threads but I need advice. I went to EMS Sports and they talked me into high top hikers. They said I needed ankle support. I do not have any ankle issues. I wore them around the store and was properly fitted. They are fine and fairly comfortable. However, my instincts are telling me to wear my tried and true runner sneakers. I am a runner. I have done 2 marathons and many shorter races. I always wear Asics gel nimbus. I love them and have never gotten blisters. My current pair are about a year old. So pros and cons to hikers. Pros: waterproof, ankle support, sturdy. Cons: I'm not used to high tops. They feel weird. Costly. Heavy. Running shoes. Pros: already have them. Worn in nicely. Comfortable. I'm very used to them. Cons: no ankle support. Not waterproof.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all,
Colleen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Colleen, firstly you don't need high top for the Camino IMO, mids are more than adequate, secondly for the last 100km your runners should be just fine at that time of year. I am presuming you are walking from Sarria to Santiago and if so wear your runners is my advice.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Colleen, I am not a runner and I still prefer running shoes.

Buen Camino!

I did the Camino Frances on Mizunos I was used too and it was the best decision! No blisters, no problem at all. It got wet because it was so well ventilated, but it dried quickly too!
Save your money, your running shoes will survive 100km (it's just a bit more than 2 marathons!) easily ^^

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Agree with all above - take the running shoes.

I did the camino frances last Sept - SJPP to Santiago - in my old cheap trainers due to a last minute decision not to take my Goretex walking shoes which give me heat rash when it's warm. Best decision I ever made. I was worried that they would wear out before the end especially when a bit of sole started comping off and had to be stuck back again by a cobbler in Najera. But they made it all the way without any other problems. Bought another pair when I got back for less than £20 and they are still going strong, including walking to Finnisterre and Muxia last month.

Runners. You really don't need more people to say it, but it will give you confidence when so many affirm that option!

Agree with all above - take the running shoes.

I did the camino frances last Sept - SJPP to Santiago - in my old cheap trainers due to a last minute decision not to take my Goretex walking shoes which give me heat rash when it's warm. Best decision I ever made. I was worried that they would wear out before the end especially when a bit of sole started comping off and had to be stuck back again by a cobbler in Najera. But they made it all the way without any other problems. Bought another pair when I got back for less than £20 and they are still going strong, including walking to Finnisterre and Muxia last month.

I am curious, how much mud did you have to deal with and how did you deal with it with trainers?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am curious, how much mud did you have to deal with and how did you deal with it with trainers?
I didn't deal with any mud at all on my first Camino and very little mud (shoes got muddy two times I think) on my second. When they did get muddy I simply washed them off at the albergue and put them out in the sun to dry.
Trail runners or similar definitely the way to go and no need for waterproof.

I agree, wear your runners. If you haul heavy loads then ankle support is a must.

Track conditions also important. The rear cuff of your sneakers can punch into the inside achilles creating a potential injury issue if you are going over rocky terrain. Therefore mids stop this problem.

Go light, go salomon trail shoes, x ultra "2!", contragrip soles - you will fly along.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great thread. Once again for us about to start a similar topic. I have Merrell Moab ventilators with blue Superfeet insoles. They seem to be a great combination until I hit the 15 kilometer marker. Then the balls of my feet start to feel bruised. I tried my running shoes, they are great on asphalt every stone when im on a path

The challenge is almost all my training has been on blacktop. Does this make that big a difference? Now I am back to trying to decide about shoes.

Good point will having a shoe with a kevlar stone shield in the sole makes allot of semse with.these roman roads.

The known comfort of the old is important - you might like to add an extra layer of padding to help with the hard surface. The load you are carrying is also important so I recommend trying to keep it down to 7-8 KG (18-20 lb) not including water or trail snacks. If you are worried about the lack of waterproofing - why not buy one of the waterproof spray products and give them a coating. Also allow them to dry/air as much as possible when you arrive at your overnight accommodation. Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all. I am going to do the last 100km of Camino the end of September to early October. I am a newbie. I know there are plenty of footwear threads but I need advice. I went to EMS Sports and they talked me into high top hikers. They said I needed ankle support. I do not have any ankle issues. I wore them around the store and was properly fitted. They are fine and fairly comfortable. However, my instincts are telling me to wear my tried and true runner sneakers. I am a runner. I have done 2 marathons and many shorter races. I always wear Asics gel nimbus. I love them and have never gotten blisters. My current pair are about a year old. So pros and cons to hikers. Pros: waterproof, ankle support, sturdy. Cons: I'm not used to high tops. They feel weird. Costly. Heavy. Running shoes. Pros: already have them. Worn in nicely. Comfortable. I'm very used to them. Cons: no ankle support. Not waterproof.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all,
Colleen

Get a fresh new pair of the Asics gel nimbus that you already use and start your Camino with them, since you are a runner, you already know the cushioning is getting "sacked out" on what you are wearing now.

1. Less is more. The salesman misleads u. Ankle support isn't neccessary for most major hardcore trails much less the Camino. Trail runners or running shoes, will be ideal.
2. Waterproof isn't needed. Regular running shoes let your feet breathe and dry out quicker. Waterproof shoes cause your feet to sweat , bc they don't breathe and that leads to blisters. Goretex takes forever to dry out after rain.
3. Sounds like u are a runner and u know all this. Go light! Most major long distance mountain hikers use simple running shoes. Buen Camino!

Any thoughts?

Thank you all,
Colleen
an

Great thread. Once again for us about to start a similar topic. I have Merrell Moab ventilators with blue Superfeet insoles. They seem to be a great combination until I hit the 15 kilometer marker. Then the balls of my feet start to feel bruised. I tried my running shoes, they are great on asphalt every stone when im on a path

I wore Merrell Moab Ventilator mid hiking boots from Roncesvalles to Santiago. The boots have provided a good combination of ankle support, water resistance (not water-proof), and breathability.

However, the most important factor is to get boots that are 1 or 1.5 sizes bigger than your normal size. When feet expand and the boots feel tight, everything else becomes irrelevant.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Any thoughts?

Thank you all,
Colleen
I walked from Porto to Santiago last year in teva sandles no socks most of the way and I also had minimus new balance running shoes. My feet did great. I even walked barefoot for a little ways just do I could say I did it. I did however need to buy new sandles when I got home.

I walked from Porto to Santiago last year in teva sandles no socks most of the way and I also had minimus new balance running shoes. My feet did great. I even walked barefoot for a little ways just do I could say I did it. I did however need to buy new sandles when I got home.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.