• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non gortex hiking boots

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Due to some diabetic related changes in my feet I need to wear hiking boots. However, models with gortex or other waterproofing make my feet unbearably hot. Having difficulty finding non waterproof hiking boots - any suggestions welcomed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This may seem counter-intuitive but I'd suggest looking for a leather boot without a gortex interlayer. There are at least a few on the market. Leather breathes yet remains water-repellent if not "proof".

I wore Brashers for years until they became a "brand" instead of a manufacturer. I now wear Scarpa.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also have Hanwag leather boots (Tatra).

Very high quality boot. Resolable.

They are also available in different versions depending on the shape of your feet - I have a version for people with hallux valgus.

So far didn't have a single blister from the first moment I tried them. Usually I prefer sandals for walking, but when I need boots, these work great for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Excellent military desert boots?
...... don't know where the 'excellent' came from, but you can pick them up pretty cheap in the UK, and they look like they might be quite useful, if it stayed dryish.

I also have Hanwag leather boots (Tatra).

Very high quality boot. Resolable.

They are also available in different versions depending on the shape of your feet - I have a version for people with hallux valgus.

So far didn't have a single blister from the first moment I tried them. Usually I prefer sandals for walking, but when I need boots, these work great for me.

Idem. I had the Alta Bunion for a long time and even the non bunion version, the Tigri I have now, is excellent.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Merrill Moab comes in non-waterproof, Hoka Anacapa Breeze, Keen Voyager - just a few hiking boots that are ventilated
Highly recommend Moab’s. Never had a blister on four caminos but everyone e’s feet are different. Mine are hobbit like.

Due to some diabetic related changes in my feet I need to wear hiking boots. However, models with gortex or other waterproofing make my feet unbearably hot. Having difficulty finding non waterproof hiking boots - any suggestions welcomed.

I wore Zamberlan [TM] leather hiking boots on all of my foot-pilgrimages and was - and still am - very happy with them. Excellent arch support, fit like a glove, no sliding of foot inside boot, no pressure points, lots of toe space, very comfortable, no blisters. Extremely waterproof after coating several times on a hot day with the proprietary Zamberlan waxy waterproofing paste.

As is probably the case with most footwear manufacturers, different Zamberlan models are built upon different lasts.

To my great disappointment, the model that I had bought was later discontinued. A Zamberlan customer service representative very cheerfully identified to me the identification number of the last used to build my boots, showed me how to find the last number in their public-facing model descriptions, gave me several examples of other current models built upon that last, and assured me that they were had no plans to ever delete that last from their tooling inventory. The latter statement makes sense because sets of lasts are costly.

Some models of Zamberlan boots are re-sole-able. I have not looked into whether or not my model is, because the soles have at least another thousand kilometres of wear left.

The heel-strike areas of the original soles wear down after about a thousand kilometres. My solution is to install crescent-shaped replacement heel-strikes at home using solvent-based contact cement plus cobbler's ringed nails, on a cobbler's anvil. It only takes about 5 minutes per boot plus drying time for the adhesive.

I bought a lifetime supply of the heel-strikes and cobbler's ringed nails on eBay. The heel-strikes I use are made of an astonishingly-tough polymer that wears down much more slowly than the original sole material. The ringed nails must be as long as possible but not so long that they penetrate into the foot-bed.

Note for those who wish to be *extremely* prepared:

The replacement heel-strikes that I use also wear out after about a thousand kilometres.

I take with me on pilgrimage one pair of heel-strikes and just enough cobbler's nails (16) to attach both heel-strikes. That set of spares weighs almost nothing. If I need to install them I will either buy contact cement and a cheap hammer locally, or hire a cobbler to install them for me.

These boots were costly, are practically irreplaceable, and their loss would end my pilgrimage. I do not leave them unattended e.g. at the entranceways of albergues. I take them off at the entrance, put them in a grocery bag, and hide them under my bed. Also, I marked my initials on the footbeds in large letters with a white paint pen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I have a similar problem. In '23 I bought two pairs of ACU hiking boots ; got them for $180 each on sale over the internet ; free delivery ! They are hand-crafted in Italy and are cut from a single seam; vibram sole ;
and no Goretex ; amazingly light and require practically no breaking-in !! Buy them on -line . I've walked the Camino Frances seven times since 2012 and have bought a total of 6 pairs of these ACU Men's Tribute ll
LTR ; UK 8 1/2 equeals 9 USA ; I'm a size 9 here in St. Thomas Ontario Canada. Four times on the Camino Frances I have had to have my hiking boots resouled !!!! ; no problem in Spain ; Zapatero repair shops every where ( old style craftsmen ; brilliant ! ) around 20 euro for both resouling ; the same repair in Canada would cost $80 at least and no where near the craftmanship. I seriously recommend these boots (especially if you are hiking in the Summer ; Goretex is mercilessly hot & sweaty; dreadful blisters ) and do it on line for the best deals ! So's , Buen Camino, Brendano from Canada.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Merrill Moab Ventilator. Two caminos with these and no foot problems at all. They are inexpensive, too.

IF hot and sweaty feet is the issue, you might want to use the 1 hour rule:
switch between two pairs of socks during the day,
switch every hour, on the hour,
turn socks inside out, place in noose on your rucksack, don fresh pair, repeat during the day.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a similar problem. In '23 I bought two pairs of ACU hiking boots ; got them for $180 each on sale over the internet ; free delivery ! They are hand-crafted in Italy and are cut from a single seam; vibram sole ;
and no Goretex ; amazingly light and require practically no breaking-in !! Buy them on -line . I've walked the Camino Frances seven times since 2012 and have bought a total of 6 pairs of these ACU Men's Tribute ll
LTR ; UK 8 1/2 equeals 9 USA ; I'm a size 9 here in St. Thomas Ontario Canada. Four times on the Camino Frances I have had to have my hiking boots resouled !!!! ; no problem in Spain ; Zapatero repair shops every where ( old style craftsmen ; brilliant ! ) around 20 euro for both resouling ; the same repair in Canada would cost $80 at least and no where near the craftmanship. I seriously recommend these boots (especially if you are hiking in the Summer ; Goretex is mercilessly hot & sweaty; dreadful blisters ) and do it on line for the best deals ! So's , Buen Camino, Brendano from Canada.

€60,-
wrote this in responce to a query from Auburn 5; it's still appropriate for the latest question on Goretex boots. ie. shoe sole is how it is spelled, not soul, soul !

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.