• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightest possible hiking boots

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
Since my last Camino, I have developed bilateral diabetic neuropathy in both feet. I can keep walking but need to switch from my Brooks Ghost trail runners which have been perfect to a low boot style for greater stability. Any suggestions for a make that is super lightweight? I have some older hiking boots, but the heaviness is a problem. Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did have some success with La Sportiva boots, but I don't know that I would have called them 'super lightweight'. I recently bought a pair of Bestard Tramuntana, which are three season lightweight mid-cut boot. They have a slightly deeper tread than my trail runners, but not the tread depth of more traditional hiking/trekking boots.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,
Since my last Camino, I have developed bilateral diabetic neuropathy in both feet. I can keep walking but need to switch from my Brooks Ghost trail runners which have been perfect to a low boot style for greater stability. Any suggestions for a make that is super lightweight? I have some older hiking boots, but the heaviness is a problem. Thank you
I have a pair of La Sportiva. They're very cushiony with good ankle support. I can't remember the exact ones, but they weigh in at about 13 ounces each.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whenever I see an appropriate looking hiking boot in a store I pick it up to feel the weight. I have worn the La Sportiva GTX for three Caminos in the past two years because I haven’t picked up a lighter appropriate boot since. I also wear them as my daily footwear because they are so comfortable. Buen Camino

Hello,
I used Topo Trailventure 2. They are 11.7 oz. I thought they were extremely comfortable. Here's a link: https://www.topoathletic.com/w-trailventure-2?quantity=1&color=162

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Surely you are wearing boots for the support that they will provide you which is the important aspect irrespective of the weight.
I have used LOWA Renegade shoes and boots for years. Both are very supportive for my height and weight. Anything that has a bendy sole is put back on the shelf as far as I am concerned.

Has a podiatrist told you that you need boots? I don't know the extent of your neuropathy, nor the difference between diabetic neuropathy and the idiopathic neuropathy that I have in both feet. I have been walking the Camino with neuropathy in trail runners and sandals.

Hello,
Might be worth a look 👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
I would suggest leather rambling shoes -- good ones are hard to find, but they combine solidity with lightness.

Hello,
Hoka

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love these boots in the shoulder seasons/rainy weather. Light, comfortable, great soles, comfortable. They’ve been on a few long distance walks now and I need to order a backup pair for the inevitable time when they stop making this model. For winter, I’m a Scarpa fan but much heavier. Way warmer, beefier, can handle mud with ease. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revi...iking-boots-womens/salewa-alpenrose-2-mid-gtx

I did have some success with La Sportiva boots, but I don't know that I would have called them 'super lightweight'. I recently bought a pair of Bestard Tramuntana, which are three season lightweight mid-cut boot. They have a slightly deeper tread than my trail runners, but not the tread depth of more traditional hiking/trekking boots.
Agree. La Sportiva are both, lightweight and sturdy. Will use o CF

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
La Sportiva!! Not sure if they are the "lightest" but I bet they come close. They are well made, super durable, nimble, lightweight, and supportive. I have had 2 pair of the GTX Mid Top Hiking Boots and they were perfect for my foot. They're not cheap but you don't want cheap. You want a boot that will go the distance. This boot does that. I walked many miles on trails in the US before taking them on the full Camino Frances in 2022. They never failed me.
As my feet have grown (one of the wonders/horrors of aging---feet, nose, ears...they all keep getting bigger!) anyway...as my feet have gotten bigger I've had to get larger sizes of hiking boots. I have, unfortunately, reached the limit of sizes that La Sportiva offers.
Honestly, this keeps me up at night because, while I have tried other brands (I'm currently using a pair of Salomons) NOTHING has ever fit my foot like those LaSportivas.
Sorry for all the drama but if you've ever found a brand of boot that works, you know what I mean.

Hello,
Hi, I have a similar problem but I am not diabetic. I walked the full Camino in 2016 at aged 72 and will again in 2024 aged 79. I wear Merrill MOAB 3 Cortex and find them excellent walked over 2000ks in the first pr and am training in a new pr now but come April 2024 will have the newer and latest design ready to go. Excellent shoe and lightweight but strong. I recommend that you change your socks twice a day as well I wear icebreaker standard top midweight. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.