• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Official River Route from Requejo to Padornelo

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our last time here we were forced to walk on the N-525 national highway this entire section and even through the tunnel at the top of the pass, the Alto de Padernelo. This tunnel route was not desirable, but not all that horrible in our experience. There still exists an alternate and much longer route from the N-525 that does avoid the pass and tunnel as well now.

However, I am seeking information on the much shorter Requejo river route that avoids the N-525 altogether in this section. It appears that it has opened only within the last several months, if not weeks. Does anyone have any experience or information on this new river route?

All I could find after a Google search is from Gronze, and I have included a screen shot of its information, translated. As you can read, it is not recommended in the rain and is poorly signposted, but they describe it as the "official" path:

gronze-Requejo-to-Lubian.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The problem now is melting snow. Making some of the stream crossings tricky again. All along the n525 there was ample water flow from higher up.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked that stage in August 2023. This is what I wrote on FindPenguins:

This stage has had a lot of changes. I'll describe here what I did (also have a look at the photos).

Almost all tracks on Wikiloc are slightly different. I followed the mojones and official signs, which keep you away from the N-525 almost until Padornelo.

Ojo: when walking out of Requejo, past the Botas Peregrinas and at the corner of the cemetery, the deviation sign is still there. I ignored it and followed a nice path through an oak forest. It ends up at the former AVE construction site.

The downside is the climb on a cement construction road. I walked there still early in the morning, but it must be really hot in the middle of the day.

The official path leads you underneath the N525 and A52 and makes a little loop around the valley. Longer, but IMHO nicer than walking along the N525. The last part until Cruz de Peregrino is on a cement path.

I had a quick stop at the little bar in Padornelo, a peculiar place which also seems to be the day care for the local 'loco'. 😅

After a couple of boring kms along the N525 the Camino follows a very nice path through a forest and the village of Aciberos. It sometimes follows a stream which means walking on pebbles and I don't know how high the water level gets in other seasons.

But maybe not accurate anymore as you are talking about changes in the past couple of weeks?

It ends up at the former AVE construction site.

The downside is the climb on a cement construction road. I walked there still early in the morning, but it must be really hot in the middle of the day.

The official path leads you underneath the N525 and A52 and makes a little loop around the valley. Longer, but IMHO nicer than walking along the N525. The last part until Cruz de Peregrino is on a cement path.
Yes, this section is different than what I am asking about. This is not the route that takes a trail after the AVE construction site. But Thank you!

I've walked this particular part 5 time and I think I walked a different way each time!

The first time in 2012 it was May and it was raining cats and dogs. I remember arriving at the AVE works and getting some surprised looks from the men working there. That time I took a left over the bridge at the ruined building (alternative route) and then I followed the rived uphill to the pass. The river was flooded and if you'd taken the right (historic route) option at the ruined building there's no way you'd have been able to get across it.

The second time in 2016 I was with a Scottish lad from Glasgow. We crossed the bridge again but we ended up following a completely different route which zig-zagged up to the pass. There was a bit of snow that day but not much. It was windy and bloody freezing up there and we didn't hang around.

Third time, 2019, Ave works were in full swing and we all got diverted up the hill to the track which runs near the main road. It was a bit dull but an easy walk.

Fourth time, 2022, first time post Ave, however at the ruined building the bridge to the left was blocked with a fence that didn't look climbable. So I took the historic route. It was August and it hadn't rained in months so getting across the river was easy. I nearly got eaten alive by files in the woods. If I was going there in summer again I'd get one of those face nets to keep them away.

Fifth time, 2023, this time it was weird because the Camino had been fenced off before we got to the ruined building and waymarkings sent us up an unpaved road to the track beside the main road. I went up the hill, I wanted a GPS track of it because it seemed to be the new "official Camino". Another pilgrim got over the fence and walked one of the routes I had walked in years gone by. He said it was absolutely fine.

So, I think the moral of this story is the more often you want this particular stretch the more confused you get. I'm pretty certain there's a few other ways you could go too, I just haven't found them yet. It's like a thick mist descends and you enter a twilight zone shortly after leaving Requejo.

The photo attached is the ruined building with the sign in 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_094245931_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220821_094245931_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
Hi Elle, walked it on 12 May 22 and captured the track on map my run. Just followed the arrows and it was a lovely walk beside the river. The climb up the hill followed a track that was flowing like a river in large parts and annoying small flies and was a good puff but fantastic views at the top. Picture may help but can forward it in minute detail if required.IMG_9202.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took a left over the bridge at the ruined building (alternative route) and then I followed the rived uphill to the pass. The river was flooded and if you'd taken the right (historic route) option at the ruined building there's no way you'd have been able to get across it.
Thank-you for all this! I'm clueless where the "ruined building" is, but by your descriptions, I'm assuming it is at the end of the AVE works area/bridges/tunnels. And there are two choices after this building, one historic and one alternative? Are there trails for both, one on either side of the river??
It's like a thick mist descends and you enter a twilight zone shortly after leaving Requejo.
Yikes - I don't know whether to add a laughing face icon or a look of surprise/horror!

Thank-you for all this! I'm clueless where the "ruined building" is, but by your descriptions, I'm assuming it is at the end of the AVE works area/bridges/tunnels. And there are two choices after this building, one historic and one alternative? Are there trails for both, one on either side of the river??
The Historic route was blocked off last time I was there and all the waymarkings were directing us up one of the two roads towards the main road.

It's possible this has changed recently and that they've reopened the historic route. Looking at the Gronze map you can see where the Camino crosses the bridge near a building and then continues in a zigzag up the hill. This looks like the route I walked years ago. It's also possible Gronze is just showing the old route and has never updated it.

I will ask in my Facebook group and see if anyone is in that area and can check it out.

1710883323383.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just had a look at the Gronze route from Seville. In some place they have the recent changes. In others they don't have them at all. Impossible to know what to make of this. This show the importance of walking the Camino regularly. It's the only way to be sure about the route.

I just had a look at the Gronze route from Seville. In some place they have the recent changes. In others they don't have them at all. Impossible to know what to make of this. This show the importance of walking the Camino regularly. It's the only way to be sure about the route.
Indeed, I appreciate your help, because this section, according to all the accounts, keeps morphing as the AVE construction morphed. I hope this trail system after the ruined building is official, because IMHO is beats the N-525 and is shorter than its parallel path that still keeps the roadways in solid view.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in 2022 and loved this stage. I walked along the river initially - which was a bit soggy but lovely - then a bit of road and then off to the right along the ‘scenic route’ which was really beautiful- a highlight of the Sanabres.

My goodness! I'll have to take some notes on this section as I'll be walking it in early May, or take screenshots of this thread
Along with Elle, I appreciate all of the comments from everyone.

My goodness! I'll have to take some notes on this section as I'll be walking it in early May, or take screenshots of this thread
Along with Elle, I appreciate all of the comments from everyone.

The route along the river would be impossible if it was raining a lot so be careful in May. And the route along the river seem to have two sections. When I got to the second part where I could get off the road, a man with cows was yelling in my direction, so I decided this was obviously a clue not to go that way. But then later the turn off to the right went uphill so it was quite dry. It did go through a meadow section, which might also get soggy if there has been a lot of rain.
I had met a man who had five operations in five years. He said he was going to walk the road all of that section. I realised that he had made the best decision for himself, and I was very grateful that I had a strong enough body to follow the off-road route.
Photos.
Little rickety white footbridge along the initial river route - there were two and these.
Cow in the meadow along the right hand, turn off route

Attachments

• IMG_4397.jpeg
    IMG_4397.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4439.jpeg
    IMG_4439.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our last time here we were forced to walk on the N-525 national highway this entire section and even through the tunnel at the top of the pass, the Alto de Padernelo. This tunnel route was not desirable, but not all that horrible in our experience. There still exists an alternate and much longer route from the N-525 that does avoid the pass and tunnel as well now.

However, I am seeking information on the much shorter Requejo river route that avoids the N-525 altogether in this section. It appears that it has opened only within the last several months, if not weeks. Does anyone have any experience or information on this new river route?

All I could find after a Google search is from Gronze, and I have included a screen shot of its information, translated. As you can read, it is not recommended in the rain and is poorly signposted, but they describe it as the "official" path:

View attachment 166285
Hi . I did this section yesterday. I was using the Cicerone book and OS map. Both took me to the river which was impassable leading to a detour which managed to miss out the cross at the summit!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be in that area this month to investigate, and will let you know.
Be careful, parts of this route aren't accessible by car. You might end up having to walk a bit.

No worries, I had not planned to drive it. My legs need a good stretch.
I'm sure they do. Are you planning to walk the rest of the Via while you're at it?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm sure they do. Are you planning to walk the rest of the Via while you're at it?
I am, but in short stints on account of more important family obligations. In general it is going to be a full year of caminos, much more than ordinary. If there is anything you want eyeballs on let me know, I’m happy to report back.

I am walking from Requejo tomorrow. It has been very warm and dry the last few days. All of the locsls are telling me to avoid the river route as it is flooded and impassible.
Jill, I hope you report tomorrow on the alternate path you take to Lubian due to the flooding along the river. I will make sure I ask to find out which way is best when I walk that stage in two weeks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 166285

Jill, I hope you report tomorrow on the alternate path you take to Lubian due to the flooding along the river. I will make sure I ask to find out which way is best when I walk that stage in two weeks.
We walked along the highway to Padornelo because people in Requejo told us the river route was not passable.
However I talked to a guy the next day who went that way and said it was fine. There has been no rain for at least the last two weeks. After Padornelo, we took WisePilgrim's advised route to the left instead of the road to the right through Acebiros. I described this elsewhere.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back