• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Padornelo Tunnel

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard
Planning for VDLP part 2 continues. After a break in Salamanca to visit all those places suggested in the other thread, I'm now looking into the Sanabres section. It all looks straightforward apart from the section between Requejo and Lubián.

I can see the N-525 plays a large part but when heading towards Padornela there is some doubt about the off road section being overgrown - or at least difficult to pass. The alternative seems to be to stay on the N-525 and go through the Padornelo Tunnel.

There is nothing from 2023 about this section so far, so wondered if anyone has travelled it and has a view on the conditions there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks as that has answered one of my two questions about the section. The next one is where the road rises after the river section. You go back on the N-525 but according to Google there is a 'temporary' diversion off the route (see pics) off the road up onto what looks like an abandoned road.

See the junction with the motorway viaduct in the backgroundPadornelo.jpgPadornelo2.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last May I walked from Requejo . There was about 5 kms on the side of the main road going up the hill and I then went off to the left ,down under the bridges onto the old Camino and followed the arrows to Padornelo, before the right turn on the photos. I avoid high bridges and tunnels.
I didn't see an option for a river route.

I was there last month. There was a choice to leave the road and follow what looked like a pretty but longer route down along the river. I opted to stay on the road and walk through the tunnel. Perfectly safe.

Attachments

• 20230508_082710.jpg
    20230508_082710.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230508_084301.jpg
    20230508_084301.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Lubián April 23rd. 2023. My only rainy day out of 44 days. The hike on the road out of Puebla isn't so bad and not to long. Later there is another short part on the road before you pass under the bridge on a nice hiking trail up to Padornelo, with the Restaurant for food and drink.

IMG_0115.jpegIMG_0106.jpegIMG_0100.jpegIMG_0099.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last May I walked from Requejo . There was about 5 kms on the side of the main road going up the hill and I then went off to the left ,down under the bridges onto the old Camino and followed the arrows to Padornelo, before the right turn on the photos. I avoid high bridges and tunnels.
I didn't see an option for a river route.

It seems that was the route I took as well. Don’t remember any tunnels or high bridges. My journal says it was a beautiful walk on a beautiful day.
However glad to know the tunnel is safe.

I was there last month. There was a choice to leave the road and follow what looked like a pretty but longer route down along the river. I opted to stay on the road and walk through the tunnel. Perfectly safe.
Thanks, I'll be walking there in August. The tunnel looks pretty safe. The bridge not so much. No shoulder at all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, I'll be walking there in August. The tunnel looks pretty safe. The bridge not so much. No shoulder at all.
Just a comment about the road - first, there was very little traffic as it all uses the new auto via that you can see. I guess I saw one car every 10 or 15 minutes. And if I remember, there was a wider verge on the opposite side - I crossed over there for the photo.

Frankly, I revelled in the fantastic infrastructure, but then I was on a bike!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back