• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrim from Canada

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013
Hello All... Greetings from Canada. I am looking for some advice on booking my travel plans. I plan to walk the Camino mid to late September of this year, and not quite sure the best possible route(s). I would like to fly from Detroit, for about a 40 day duration. My question is should I fly from Detroit to Paris, round trip? Also, when I finish in Santiago de Compostela, how do I get back to Paris, and should I book that before I leave Canada, or just wait until I'm finished the pilgrimage?

Is there a better day to leave SJPP, or is there a day where you shouldn't start your pilgrimage?

Also... with regards to weather... do I need a coat or long underwear? Is there any sort of colder weather that I need to be prepared for...

Any advice would be so appreciated! Looking forward to firming up my plans :)
Thank you in Advance
Robyn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Robyn

I assume you are going to travel to Detroit from Canada in order to hopefully get a cheaper flight to Europe? Have you checked out flights from Canada instead?

In any case depending on the airline you choose, you might want to consider an open jaws ticket - into Paris and return from say Mardrid for example. Or return from nearby Oporto in Potugal.

Getting back to Paris can be time consuming and expensive depending on if you can grab a cheap discount flight or you decide the train back - the latter being probably more expensive.

jirit said:
Hi Robyn

I assume you are going to travel to Detroit from Canada in order to hopefully get a cheaper flight to Europe? Have you checked out flights from Canada instead?

In any case depending on the airline you choose, you might to consider an open jaws ticket - into Paris and return from say Mardrid for example. Or return from nearby Oporto in Potugal.

Getting back to Paris can be time consuming and expensive depending on if you can grab a cheap discount flight or you decide the train back - the latter being probably more expensive.

Thanx for reply... Yes it is always cheaper to fly from States, and I live not to far from Detroit so that is not a problem.. Will definately look into open jaw flight, coming home from Madrid...

Cheers,

Robyn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Robyn,
Where in Ontario do you live? I'm a former Chatham girl who used to fly out of Detroit for cheaper flights. Now I live in St. Catharines, and will be leaving from Toronto to walk the Camino around September 8. Maybe we will meet! :)
~Penny

If you book in advance the internal EU flights are not that expensive. The issues are things like baggage. The fact the discount airlines may use secondary airports. Does your schedule match up.

Currently it seems October Santiago de Compostela to Paris with Vueling is €44 but it can be double that depending on the date.

You're coming from Windsor? Worry about damp not so much cold. At least not the cold you'll see in a Cdn winter.

Hi Robyn and Penny, I am from British Columbia but will be flying via TO to Paris and then leaving SJPdP to start my Camino on September 8th. Hope we meet over The Way. Mar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Robyn

You might want to check out KLM. My experience with them is that offer the greatest range of options at the most affordable cost.

Right now an open jaws Detroit to Paris - Madrid to Detroit return is about $1200 US.

A flight out of Windsor via Toronto to Paris - Madrid back to Windsor is $1260 CAD

This is September out and early October return

I booked a Delta/Air France flight that flew through (with connection) Detroit to Paris. In June I paid 965$, but with connection from Ottawa.
Once I was in Santiago I flew via Vueling to Paris (remember to check - checked baggage or it will cost €€€). I booked this a few days aheadof time.
It was fairly inexpensive, I thought I would enjoy the train, but the extra time in Paris was nice.
My bonus was that my dad lives in Windsor and he and my step mom came to the airport to spend some of my eight hour layover with me and I got to fill them in firsthand on my trip.
Happy planning, and Buen Camino.

Cheryl.

Hello Robyn,

Thought I would add another element to all the great suggestions. I am flying from SFO to Dublin in September. The cost was just over $800.00 and significantly less than either CDG or MAD. I am flying from DUB to Biarritz on Ryan air for pennies and will return from Santiago to DUB on Aer Lingus. Over all, when tickets were purchased (plane, train, bus), it added up to sizable savings to allow for an occasional hotel stay along the way.

wayne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
HI! I live in south central BC and am flying Spokane to Amsterdam this Sept 4th, then on to Bayonne. In 2009 I used KLM and flew Vancouver to Amsterdam and on to Bayonne. Since KLM and AirFrance are the same company, the connections are easy. I had some points that worked on a US carrier,(Alaska Delta), if not I would have gone KLM out of Vancouver again.
In 2009, and this time, when I am done, I will take an all day train from Santaigo to Bayonne, stay overnight, then do the reverse flights back to Spokane.
The return flight (AirFrance) Amsterdam-Bayonne-Amsterdam was $400.00 CDN., which compared favorably to the train fare for the same trip.

Hello from another Canadian pilgrim-to-be!

I have to admit that I've put off thinking about travel plans. For some reason, actually getting there seems to be the most overwhelming aspect of the whole trip! So thanks for posting this question...I'm sure I'm not the only other Canadian benefiting from the answers.

Your trip is coming up soon!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
so far it seems that flying from Windsor is my best option. Into Paris home from Barcelona. then train from Paris to Bayonne... then train to SJPP. As for the return I found a flight from Santiago to Barcelona for less then 50 Euros. Not to shabby. This is the route that Im leaning toward.... Now i just need to pick my date....

Cheers to All

Robyn

Hi Robyn

With respect to the train travel in Spain you might be able to save some money buying your tickets in advance. Unfortunately it is almost impossible for Americans and Canadians to purchase RENFE tickets from their site but you can use these folks instead and still get some great discounts.

http://petrabax.com/

We used this site this past spring to purchase tickets from Madrid to Seville, saving 2/3 off the regular price.

With respect to the ticket from barcelona to Paris compare prices with Petrabax to buying the ticket through SNCF - you might actually find a better deal through the latter.

Hi Robyn,

I am flying Air Transat from Toronto to CDG.Sept 2.then AF on to Biarritz($95) due to the difficulty with train connections.I am booked on Express Bouriccot Sept at 5:45 pm from Biarritz-SJJP.It is 70E but if she gets more people which seems probable the cost is reduced and it seems as if it is less hassle than getting to the train station in Bayonne and then the train to SJPP. Someone on the forumn said the train is not even working so buses are running instead...I am booked into the Auberge du pelerin Sept 3 and into the Refuge orisson on Sept 4..after that it is day to day!!!Hope you find an acceptable route and look forward to meeting you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
steph13 said:
Hi Robyn,

I am flying Air Transat from Toronto to CDG.Sept 2.then AF on to Biarritz($95) due to the difficulty with train connections.I am booked on Express Bouriccot Sept at 5:45 pm from Biarritz-SJJP.It is 70E but if she gets more people which seems probable the cost is reduced and it seems as if it is less hassle than getting to the train station in Bayonne and then the train to SJPP. Someone on the forumn said the train is not even working so buses are running instead...I am booked into the Auberge du pelerin Sept 3 and into the Refuge orisson on Sept 4..after that it is day to day!!!Hope you find an acceptable route and look forward to meeting you!

thanx steph... just out of curiousity... how did you book your return departure. Can you let me know..... will def look into this option. :)

Hi Robyn,
Nobody has touched your second question, but I think it is very relevant, given the time of year you will be walking.

The weather at the start of your Camino should be brilliant. Warm days, crisp mornings.
In the second half of the Camino, you walk on a 1000 m high elevation plateau and then you get into the ups and downs and rains of Galicia.

Too take Long Underwear, or not? That is the question.

The solution with clothes is to take multiple layers that can be put on or taken off as the conditions dictate. The other key is to keep the weight of your mochila (backpack) down.

By my third camino, I have settled on one set of clothes to wear, and another to be carried, washed, what have you. To that I add a mid-weight fleece jacket, light gloves, light toque and a wide brimmed hat. Two each of everything else... socks, underwear,...

No long underwear! Spain is a developed country and you will pass through half a dozen cities where you will be able to buy anything you need.

I don't take a jacket, choosing instead to carry a rain poncho that goes over my backpack and keeps everything dry but I am in the minority. Nearly everyone carries a light waterproof and windproof shell.

Everything I have is synthetic and quick-dry so I can wash it in the afternoon and fetch it off the clothesline about 8:00 pm.

There are no rules on what to take, or wear. You will see the occasional hardy soul in short pants in October.

You are in for the time of your life.
Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back