• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrim Planning

As above

• Advice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Company recommendations

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Fay Clarke

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino in April 2018.
My name is Fay, l am an Art teacher and on my long service next year l am planning to walk the Camino with a dear friend of 30+ years. We have decided to do a self guided walk with a company that will take our main luggage each day and have our rooms booked. I have just had shoulder surgery and this arrangement l feel will ensure success for me on this pilgrimage. I am wondering if there are companies that people have used and would recommend? We have looked at Utracks, Raw and Camino ways. I am wanting to be prepared as much as l can physically, mentally and spiritually so l am willing to listen and learn. Happy to be joining this community.
Fay

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Fay and welcome. If it makes you feel better to use a company, that's great, but you will be paying a lot more for your experience. Also bear in mind that the schedule they set could possibly put you under its own kind of pressure.

You absolutely don't need a full service company for its bag transfer service - this is available on the spot everywhere for a few euro per day. Also you don't need a company to book private accommodation, you can use booking.com on your phone as you go, or get one hospitalero to phone ahead to the next place for you.

I personally feel people who use these companies get sucked into a 'system', and miss out on a lot. Time and flexibility are the solutions to most challenges on the camino - if you are not in a rush you can solve most problems yourself, and will feel very empowered and free by doing so.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
And which Camino will you be walking? If it is the Camino Frances then especially it works itself all out.Lots of accomodations.
Like @notion900 said try to arrange it yourself , it will save you alot of money.

Good luck!
From the savings you can probably walk another camino! And I just looked again at your original post. Don't worry about 'success'. Even if you walked for two weeks and had to give up and put it off for another year, that's not 'failure'.

fay, rather than suggesting not to use a company which i would also suggest. a friend of mine used Camino ways and had a mixed experience with them. Some of the accommodation required a taxi trip at the end of the day. It would be worth checking out how far from each days end the accommodation is. It would also be interesting to see as well if others who used a company experienced a Camino "family" or was it more of a solitary experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My name is Fay, l am an Art teacher and on my long service next year l am planning to walk the Camino with a dear friend of 30+ years. We have decided to do a self guided walk with a company that will take our main luggage each day and have our rooms booked. I have just had shoulder surgery and this arrangement l feel will ensure success for me on this pilgrimage. I am wondering if there are companies that people have used and would recommend? We have looked at Utracks, Raw and Camino ways. I am wanting to be prepared as much as l can physically, mentally and spiritually so l am willing to listen and learn. Happy to be joining this community.
Fay

Great decision!

I can recommend one, but better in private if you are interested.

Cheers

From the savings you can probably walk another camino! And I just looked again at your original post. Don't worry about 'success'. Even if you walked for two weeks and had to give up and put it off for another year, that's not 'failure'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you l appreciate that. I will be going just after my 60th birthday and want to give this as a gift to myself.

How do we do this?
Hola Fay and welcome.
To start a conversation with a specific person just left click on their name at the left of their post. Then you will get a panel with a few links including 'start a conversation'. Click and it will open a new conversation, give it a title, write your message and click post/send. When there is an answer you will see an 'alert' at the top right of the page on the forum. 'Inbox' is next to post 'alerts'.
Hope that helps.

Can anyone recommend a good albergue in Pamplona?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sue,

I have often stayed at
the Marist albergue in Trinidad de Arre which does accept reservations. In season sitting in the riverside garden is a pleasure and always, the hospitality of the Marist fathers is most gracious. Here is their web site with contact info.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Hey Fay! go for it. I used Camino Ways on my first Camino (The English Way) and I don't feel like I missed out on anything...I am doing the Portuguese this fall and again I will move my pack forward. The expense is worth it to me even though I pack quiet light, I don't want to carry a pack all day long. I had no problems with Camino Ways, my pack was at the next stop each time I arrived.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that recommendations should be posted in the thread, rather than private messaging, so that other members can benefit from the information. There are people who read the posts here to gather information, but rarely post themselves, who would be interested in the recommendations too.

If you are taking an Android device with you I'd suggest you check out https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino&hl=en

The app is free to download and I strongly suggest you download the maps (you can use google maps but that will use up your download).

You can make a donation and if you do you will get todays and the next two days weather at your current location.

I have used in on both of my trips on the Frances and will be using it again this year.

If you are taking an Android device with you I'd suggest you check out https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino&hl=en

The app is free to download and I strongly suggest you download the maps (you can use google maps but that will use up your download).

You can make a donation and if you do you will get todays and the next two days weather at your current location.

I have used in on both of my trips on the Frances and will be using it again this year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the info. I will be taking an iPad l think and will downloads of the maps you mentioned. Won't be there until April 2018.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.