• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New version of Ender's Salvador guide (2022)

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hot off the presses and ready for 2022 pilgrims, a new version of the Salvador guide. If there are questions or confusions, PLEASE let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

Here is the introduction from the Facebook page.

GUIDE TO THE CAMINO DE SAN SALVADOR

In this new version of the guide, I have tried to answer all the questions that pilgrims have asked me over the years. This update will also show you the Camino del Salvador exactly as it is today.

This guide contains a new feature that responds to many pilgrim requests — the GPS tracks. In order to make it more user friendly, I have put the tracks on Google. That way, everyone with a phone can see the entire trail and know where they are at any moment. Fortunately there are very few places without cell phone coverage on this Camino.

For those who have already walked this Camino, I would say that you have to come back, because there are many new sections. We have brought back trails that keep you off the asphalt, and there are also some new alternatives that make this Camino even more beautiful.

A special shout-out to my friends who have helped me all these years. You are always there when I need you — Josines, Luisín, David and Javi.

To those who are no longer with us, such as my special friend Juan — In your garage we made the arrows and conch shells that we put up years ago. They turned what used to be meadows and mountain into a Camino. Now we can walk this route just by following the markings, because the path is well marked by the thousands of pilgrims who have traveled over it. Thank you Juan.

To the hospitalero pilgrims Elidio and Sebastián, whom we will always remember.

Thanks to Laurie Reynolds for editing and translating the guide, and also for your helpful pilgrim advice.

The camino is made by pilgrims, and the Camino del Salvador is for pilgrims who love the Camino. I hope you like it….. buen camino, peregrinos!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you to Ender and to Laurie! I treasure the memory of encountering the famous Ender at the casa rural in Poladura this last fall. You are our Camino Angel! And our memory of how we ended up staying at the casa rural instead of the albergue is one of our personal proofs of how Santiago watched over the pilgrims.

I’ve gotten some PM questions asking about what the differences are from the route as it was marked earlier. I would say that the main differences are:

1. new option after Llanos de Somerón that takes you up, rather than down to Puente Fierro. It‘s a TOUGH option, but beautiful.

2. From Pola de Lena to Ugo, there is now a new totally off-road option. If you have walked from Pola de Lena to Ugo on a weekday, you have undoubtedly been terrorized by the trucks hurtling toward you on the shoulder-less road. The new off-road option takes you to the gasolinera at Villasana, and from there through a tunnel and then up along the other side of the autovia and then back down.

Those are the main changes, but more careful readers may find others.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked it last August - really fantastic with one particularly 'interesting' climb - the first one that nobody warned me about - relatively short but STEEP. Excellent way-markings although I still managed to wander 'off piste'. Just don't leave home without Ender's guide on your phone. Would happily do it again. Just got to finish the VDLP first, and the Norte and the Primitivo....

I walked the San Salvador in September and I loved every step!! A great precursor to the Primativo

I last walked the San Salvador in 2016, and I think it's high time that I plan another trip... this new guide is a sign! Thank you, thank you, for helping to make this resource available to all of us!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is wonderful. Can I upload the GPS tracks to my Google maps so I’ll have offline? I have only used maps.me maps.

I walked the San Salvador in September and I loved every step!! A great precursor to the Primativo
To @ess1113 and @Calisteve and anyone else who has walked the Salvador recently, I would be interested in your experiences on two different parts.

I am wondering if you remember whether you took the “high route” after Llanos de Somerón or whether you continued down on the road almost all the way in to Puente Fierros and then took the marked arrow up a field to Fresneo.

And I also wonder whether you avoided that horrible stretch into Ujo after leaving Pola de Lena. The new alternative goes under the autovia and takes you up a bit and then down, and it avoids that road so full of trucks on weekdays.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is wonderful. Can I upload the GPS tracks to my Google maps so I’ll have offline? I have only used maps.me maps.
The first 1:20 of this video shows one way of creating a kml file that you should probably watch but pretty much not pay too much attention to as you will be using a kml or kmz file already created for you. Then the video shows how to upload the kml/kmz file to Maps. Click the title instead of the arrow to get a bigger display.

youtube video id: x6dFCv8wA5s

BTW, you can download offline maps in maps.me and OSMand too.

Hot off the presses and ready for 2022 pilgrims, a new version of the Salvador guide. If there are questions or confusions, PLEASE let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

In this new version of the guide, I have tried to answer all the questions that pilgrims have asked me over the years. This update will also show you the Camino del Salvador exactly as it is today.

This guide contains a new feature that responds to many pilgrim requests — the GPS tracks. In order to make it more user friendly, I have put the tracks on Google. That way, everyone with a phone can see the entire trail and know where they are at any moment. Fortunately there are very few places without cell phone coverage on this Camino.

For those who have already walked this Camino, I would say that you have to come back, because there are many new sections. We have brought back trails that keep you off the asphalt, and there are also some new alternatives that make this Camino even more beautiful.

A special shout-out to my friends who have helped me all these years. You are always there when I need you — Josines, Luisín, David and Javi.

To those who are no longer with us, such as my special friend Juan — In your garage we made the arrows and conch shells that we put up years ago. They turned what used to be meadows and mountain into a Camino. Now we can walk this route just by following the markings, because the path is well marked by the thousands of pilgrims who have traveled over it. Thank you Juan.

Thanks to Laurie Reynolds for editing and translating the guide, and also for your helpful pilgrim advice.

The camino is made by pilgrims, and the Camino del Salvador is for pilgrims who love the Camino. I hope you like it….. buen camino, peregrinos!!!
Laurie (Ender), may I share this with the Chapter Coordinators of the Canadian COmpany of Pilgrims, please. ty. Ingrid

Laurie (Ender), may I share this with the Chapter Coordinators of the Canadian COmpany of Pilgrims, please. ty. Ingrid
Let me just check, I would be stunned if there is a problem. And btw, for Ingrid and others, a question — Ender had mentioned the possibility of putting a donativo button somewhere near the guide. But he doesn’t want people to think that he is trying to make money for himself. There are many ongoing projects and needs for his little band of Salvador angels, and they do spend a lot of their own cash. Any ideas about how to do that?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ender had mentioned the possibility of putting a donativo button somewhere near the guide. But he doesn’t want people to think that he is trying to make money for himself. There are many ongoing projects and needs for his little band of Salvador angels, and they do spend a lot of their own cash.
I have walked the Salvador and used Enders Guide. The Salvador is a wonderful walk and I really enjoyed it. I would be grateful to be able to donate money for his work so please do not hesitate to make it possible to make a donation.

Let me just check, I would be stunned if there is a problem. And btw, for Ingrid and others, a question — Ender had mentioned the possibility of putting a donativo button somewhere near the guide. But he doesn’t want people to think that he is trying to make money for himself. There are many ongoing projects and needs for his little band of Salvador angels, and they do spend a lot of their own cash. Any ideas about how to do that?
A donativo button works great, right in the document. And in my opinion, humbly spoken, there is nothing wrong with being reimbursed for all your efforts, especially if personal money is being spent to keep this Camino open. I see it as an exchange of energy! Money is only one form of energy!

Yes, sure, go ahead. Sorry I forgot to answer you.

And I just wanted to note that @Ender has now put in a link for donations on the very last page of the guide. I am going to encourage him to make it more prominent, because it’s at the end of a few pages listing GPS tracks and can easily get lost. I hope he will consider something like what @Elle Bieling has (thanks for your comment, Elle, and I may be PM-ing you to see if you can help him do that).

If anyone successfully makes a donation via the link at the end of the guide, would you please let me know?

Buen camino, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think it is working now. My donation seems to have gone through. I know that several forum members tried to donate in the past few days and were unable to complete the transaction. If you are inclined to try again, go for it and let us know if it works! There is a new link in the guide, on p. 74 or 75.

After a few kerfuffles with paypal, the link for donations is up and running. 🤞🤞🤞

I deleted the many posts of helpful forum members who were instrumental in getting it working. Thanks particularly to @Elle Bieling, @Suzanne A and @NadineK

For those contemplating a spring 2022 Salvador, a few tidbits —

The route is walkable now (late March). There are some stretches with snow on the ground, but no serious snowpack. It’s always good to check, but unless there are some more storms, it should be a go from now!

The pensiones in the early stages have a lot fewer workers staying there now, so 15 de Mayo in Pola de Gordón and Mundo and Ordóñez in La Robla are more likely to be available.

The albergue in Poladura has opened.

And… fingers crossed ….. there may be good news on the La Robla albergue very soon.

I’m a dummy and accidentally downloaded the point-to-point GPS tracks for the Salvador before leaving and now can’t find the original file. Can someone point me to Ender’s tracks please?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m a dummy and accidentally downloaded the point-to-point GPS tracks for the Salvador before leaving and now can’t find the original file. Can someone point me to Ender’s tracks please?
In case you don’t find them, as I could not, let me know and I will send you a copy of the app which ought to be accurate as it was just updated. Have a great time!

In case you don’t find them, as I could not, let me know and I will send you a copy of the app which ought to be accurate as it was just updated. Have a great time!
Thank you, a copy of the app would be great! I still haven’t found Ender’s tracks.

Me and my Novia will l be on the San Salvador from the 18th next week, I was going for the 15th but after reading a few posts on here I realised it it was getting to be busy for that start. I flew into Madrid last Wednesday and there was another peregrino on the plane who I got chatting to, he was doing the San Salvador 🤪 he was meeting friends in Madrid to head off to the start. We will be going slow but hopefully will be in Mieres on the 23rd for the Noche de San Juan and Oviedo on the 24th for the continuation of the celebrations., I have seen the festivities before in Asturias whilst on Camino and they can be a bit crazy.

Me and my Novia will l be on the San Salvador from the 18th next week, I was going for the 15th but after reading a few posts on here I realised it it was getting to be busy for that start. I flew into Madrid last Wednesday and there was another peregrino on the plane who I got chatting to, he was doing the San Salvador 🤪 he was meeting friends in Madrid to head off to the start. We will be going slow but hopefully will be in Mieres on the 23rd for the Noche de San Juan and Oviedo on the 24th for the continuation of the celebrations., I have seen the festivities before in Asturias whilst on Camino and they can be a bit crazy.
My friend and I are starting on the 15th. Sorry to miss you!

My friend and I are starting on the 15th. Sorry to miss you!
It's ok part of the reason we swapped our dates is not to avoid you but to ensure other accommodation options are not too stretched by several people known to be starting at the same time + others not known who will definitely be on this Camino in a increasing busy probably record year. Me and my partner walked the San Salvador in 2014, when I asked her if she would like to walk with me she said yes and said can we do the San Salvador again, so it shows how highly my partner thinks of it. Things I'm looking forward which we never did last time to are the river walk out of Leon we stuck to the road last time I'm not sure about the alternative in Cascantes it may be less asphalt but it may be between industrial sites, I probably need a bit more info on it. We may also stay in the alternative albergue just after Pajares which also means going on the little known pre train tracks route after the Puerto de Pajares which I'm sure Alvaro Lazaga used in descending to San Miguel on his vlogs recently, we will do this just because if the weather is good we will going on the monastery variant, if the weather is bad forget about that and also the other stunning way which the variant joins I walked the latter in pouring rain in 2014 and it was so treacherous underfoot. I'm also looking forward to visiting the Iglesia Santa Christina, it was closed last time we visited and finally if we make it which is no way certain for me then it will be a pleasure to be in Oviedo again and while last time I didn't obtain the certificate I will do this time because it will mean something to me.

So sorry we are missing you but you will enjoy the San Salvador and the Primitivo ( which I think you have done before)

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ender’s trails are on wikiloc.

The two updates which others’ tracks may or may not show are the Munisterio option, and the new alternative before the gasolinera on the outskirts of Pola de Lena (where you go under the tunnel that takes you under the autovía).

As for the Munisteriu alternative (turnoff is a very short distance after leaving Llanos de Somerón), I walked an earlier version of it last September and it was tough. But they have done some re-routing off the jagged rocks and his tracks have been updated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Poladura is a must stop for us because of the distances involved if we continue, we used your guide in 2014 and it was exceptional, the only 4 variations from that walk that we might do are the river walk out of Leon, which wasn't given in 2014, then possibly turn left in Cascantes which adds a km but takes you off the road into La Robla, which would normally appeal to me, but I'm convinced ( and I don't know why I am) that you walk off road but between large industrial complexes , which doesn't appeal to me. Then the monastery route which joins Fresno route, but if the weather is upto no good then we might stick to the road all the way to Campomoanes which would be a shame but the hazards on a wet Munisteriu and Fresno route would be too much. Then if we get that far we will take the alternative out of Pola de Lena which goes as far as Ugo. If I see any other big differences between 2014 then I will try to post it on here.

+ I just realised the 5th, getting to San Miguel from the Puerto de Pajares rather than going to the albergue in Pajares, but that might change with the hospitalera coming back, we owe her debt of gratitude after the last visit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm also looking forward to visiting the Iglesia Santa Christina, it was closed last time we visited and finally if we make it which is no way certain for me then it will be a pleasure to be in Oviedo again and while last time I didn't obtain the certificate I will do this time because it will mean something to me.
+1 to all of this! I picked up the Salvador credential yesterday. Do we need two stamps per day the whole way for the certificate?

+1 to all of this! I picked up the Salvador credential yesterday. Do we need two stamps per day the whole way for the certificate?
I can't remember but on the 1st day you have ' letterboxes' which include a stamp for your credential and a message book, there may be more letterboxes' now. And when I say letterbox it is out in the wilds and is easily visible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

This guide is outstanding, thank you so much for all your effort. It will be my go to guide in October...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Truly excellent guide - although it didn't stop me from wandering off the trail at some point. But that's my fault not the guide.

Hi Peregrina2000. First of all, thanks for the guide you've compiled. It seems quite great :). I'm thinking about doing the Camino Salvador and Primitivo this winter. Probably starting around the 20th of december. In the past I've done the Camino Frances also in the winter, but I do have some questions regarding doing the Camino Salvador in this period. Is it possible to message you in private in order to adress you my questions? Thanks a lot. Cheers

Edited by mod to add: See @Gonçalo Mota’s separate thread on a winter camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peregrina2000. First of all, thanks for the guide you've compiled. It seems quite great :). I'm thinking about doing the Camino Salvador and Primitivo this winter. Probably starting around the 20th of december. In the past I've done the Camino Frances also in the winter, but I do have some questions regarding doing the Camino Salvador in this period. Is it possible to message you in private in order to adress you my questions? Thanks a lot. Cheers
Hi, Gonçalo, I am happy to get a PM, but I think that a forum posting is probably a better option. The information might be of interest to others, but more importantly, there are other forum members who have direct experience walking the Salvador in winter. I’ve walked the Salvador three times, in fall and summer, but never in winter!

The norm for years had been, according to Ender, that snow didn’t usually come till January. Now things are a bit topsy-turvy with climate change. I would be prepared for snow, and I would also be prepared to change plans if a big storm comes through. Ender is the guardian angel of the Salvador and will give you information and help when you are actually walking.

Happy to continue the conversation, either here on the forum or in private, up to you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow great material thank you for this. I am planning on doing this in 2024

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.