• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie questions.

Vet14

Hey folks, I learned about the Camino de Santiago quite some time ago and thought it'd be neat to do if I'm ever in Europe. Well, as it turns out, I'll be heading to Germany this summer, and so I was hoping to do the Camino sometime around June while I'm over there.

I'm concerned about cost though. I've seen people say it costs about 30 euros a day, but how long does it take to walk the trail? A couple of weeks? A month? Longer? Also how does one gauge when to book their return flight?

Is the goal of the Camino to hoof it from one hostel to the next each day, or is it safe to camp in the country? I figure hostels cost money and if you camped out, perhaps you could save a bit here and there to bring the total cost down. But I've no idea just how industrialized Spain is (obviously they're a first world country, but I mean free land space that's not built up on). Here in the states there's a lot of open land between each town, but I don't know that you can extrapolate from here to there. Also there's the concern of private property and whether you'll get shot (or dog sicked on your or whatever) camping out on someone's property. I don't know if that's the culture over there but coming from Texas, where you can (though it doesn't really happen except in defense 99% of the time) legally shoot anyone who's trespassing, it comes to mind.

For that matter, just how safe is it to walk the trail? I'll be walking alone, with very little Spanish, so is it doable, or a disaster waiting to happen?

And what do you do for food? Carry around small MRE type meal-in-a-bag type things, stop in towns, or what? Is it even feasible to plan all this out between now and June?

Thanks! I just found this forum and am trying to pour over all this, so I'm sure I'll find a few (probably even all) of my questions asked and answered already, but that will take time. Any immediate help so I can judge whether this is even viable would be appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

Welcome to the Forum.

I take it by "the trail" you mean the Camino Frances which is the most popular of the many routes to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking the Camino Frances is very much like walking a long distance in a series of day walks between villages each of which have facilities and accommodation for pilgrims. Pilgrim accommodation varies in cost: some places ask for a donation others have a small set charge of 5€ etc. There are many other posts on the cost of food - buying food in supermarkets and shops is comparatively cheap and a 3 course meal including bread and wine will cost around 8€ - 10€.

This is not the Appalachian Trail where you are away from civilisation and have to carry everything with you. On the Camino Frances the frequency of pilgrim accommodation generally means you can determine how far you will walk in a day. Have a look here http://www.godesalco.com/plan and you will see more of what I mean.

The overall distance you walk depends on the time you have available. Some people walk 100 - 200 kms to Santiago from a point along the Camino others walk from just over the border of France at St Jean Pied de Port. The latter will take "around" 30 days.

Some people do carry tents and camp in the gardens of albergues or discreetly along the way - if someone objects you will simply be asked to move on. They do not shoot campers in Spain nor do they set the dogs on pilgrims! Actually quite the reverse.

It is very feasible to plan walking the camino between now and June. This will even give time for some physical preparation and getting your gear together. But you don't need all that much - a lightweight rucksack, trousers, shorts, a couple of easy wash tops, a fleece for the evenings perhaps, a light sleeping sack, two or three pairs of socks, same with underwear, basic toiletries, walking shoes, sandals for the evening and shower - a guide book and flight tickets!

See you in Spain

John

Hi Vet14!

All good advice from John.

This may be an obvious point, but in terms of cost remember that you would be spending money on food, drinks etc wherever you were. In that sense the cost is just relative. Yes, you'll have to spend additional money on accommodation and eating out that you wouldn't have to do at home, but as John says, the pilgrim albergues are very cheap. A private room in a hostal will cost significantly more (think around 25 Euros, maybe more, maybe less). You won't spend much money on anything that doesn't fit in your stomach, otherwise it will have to fit in your backpack and weigh you down!

Booking the flight home can be tricky. It depends how flexible your ticket is to some extent. It also depends how important it is to you to walk the whole way. Some people skip stages in the bus or train if they're on a tight schedule and know they won't make it to Santiago on time otherwise.

Learning some expressions in Spanish is useful, if only to greet people appropriately etc, but many pilgrims don't speak much Spanish. You will meet many other people, and someone in the group might have a decent command of the language and can do all the ordering of meals etc.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello John. Thank you for the Godsalco.com website. I found it an "incredible" tool for planning this trip. Although there is no way you can predict a 30 day walk over 500 miles, it does give you nice broad strokes of where you should be during this journey. I was impressed with the detail of sunrise, lodging and moon phase. I appreciate the tip. John

Cool, thanks for the responses y'all. Money is really the biggest problem as everything is about 30% more expensive just on the conversion rate alone, and I'm already spending a lot of money in Germany as it is.

This may be an obvious point, but in terms of cost remember that you would be spending money on food, drinks etc wherever you were.

This, however, is a good point. I just wonder if I'll be spending more than I'd normally do, which would offset any 'savings'. If each meal is around 10 euro ($13), that's about 3 - 4x more than I spend normally.

So as far as a backpack goes, since the villages seem to be relatively close together, would y'all recommend something like this?

I'm quite interested in camping, though. I've heard hostels have a problem with theft and even if you can only save 5 euros, it seems that it'd still be worth it, as that'd be a meal. Problem is, finding a spot. And of course you're always prone to theft that way too...

Regarding rucsacs,it all depends on how much you're carrying. The Osprey daysac would be OK for light weights - upto about 4 kilos - anything more and you'd really need a framed sac. Whichever one you go with, remember it can weigh 1 or more kilos empty, so the lighter the better. Don't forget you'll be carrying water and some food, which all adds up, but there's lots of info on this forum about everything you need to know.
Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If each meal is around 10 euro ($13), that's about 3 - 4x more than I spend normally.

Almost all hostels have kitchens and many people picnic for lunch and cook and eat in the hostels in the evening. That way you may spend 5€ on a bed but save lots on food. I ususally have a beer and a snack in a bar at lunch and cook later, the staple of the camino being pasta, it's surprising how many different meals can be cooked :D Frequently there is food left in albergues, by people who don't care to carry it any further, the kitchen is a good place to make friends too!
Do you really want to carry a tent around Europe?
Sue

you may spend 5€ on a bed
There has been some price creep. In September, I think my lowest priced albergue was 7€. The closer you get to Santiago, the price seemed to rise to 12€. Xunta albergues are the most likely to be lower cost, but the private albergues are generally nicer. Some days I did not cook, eating bread, meat, cheese, canned goods, and fresh fruit. The food cost those days was under 10€. Some days, breakfast was 3€, a lunch sandwich 5€, a pilgrim meal 9€, and various beverages 6€. So the amount you spend can vary widely. It is not difficult to keep the cost low if you want/need to.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know where you've heard that there was a problem with thieves in the albergues but that is not the case at all. The Camino may be the safest place I've ever been. Most people would leave their cameras or phone plugged in all afternoon without supervision without any second thought. A tent is cumbersome and I've seen only 2 people travelling in tents, one being a group of young hippies woth a dog. By sleeping in a tent you'll have to go out to eat all the time since you won't have a kitchen available.

CaminoGen said:
I don't know where you've heard that there was a problem with thieves in the albergues but that is not the case at all. The Camino may be the safest place I've ever been. Most people would leave their cameras or phone plugged in all afternoon without supervision without any second thought. A tent is cumbersome and I've seen only 2 people travelling in tents, one being a group of young hippies woth a dog. By sleeping in a tent you'll have to go out to eat all the time since you won't have a kitchen available.

I can't disagree with a word of CaminoGen's post (although I can't speak about these particular hippies obviously!) Where will you shower, wash clothes etc? Believe me, you can feel a bit smelly and dirty at the end of a hard day!

Your original post suggests that you're not a regular hiker or outdoor person, so I would suggest sticking with albergues. As money is an issue consider doing a section of the Camino rather than you whole thing. Whatever you do, do it well! Neither Europe or the Camino are going anywhere, so you can always revisit!

Buen Camino!

Definitely not a very regular hiker (just no where to do it around here) but I do enjoy being outside, which is part of the draw of this to me. Some do it for the religious significance I imagine, I'm just doing it for fun.

Do you really want to carry a tent around Europe?

From the feedback, I'm going to go with 'no?' :D

I don't know where you've heard that there was a problem with thieves in the albergues but that is not the case at all.

I hadn't heard that, I just extrapolated. A lone traveler in the middle of what I assume is nowhere at some points, without so much as a weapon to defend them self (well I guess you could have a long knife, but certainly no guns) just seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Not something I would want to try here in the states (always carry a pistol when hiking, if for nothing else the potential for rabid animals).

Edit: Oh well, thinking about it some more, I guess I can't say that I hadn't heard that, but it wasn't in regards to the Camino. I always hear about gypsies in Europe and some of the rather drastic tactics they'll take to rob you blind. I've heard that they'll go so far as to throw a baby at you, and you're of course going to catch a baby so while your hands are full they just rob you blind. That sounded very far fetched to me, but evidently it's a thing.

Edit2: Also I've heard hostels, in general (everywhere), aren't exactly unknown to have thieves about.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I hadn't heard that, I just extrapolated. A lone traveler in the middle of what I assume is nowhere at some points, without so much as a weapon to defend them self (well I guess you could have a long knife, but certainly no guns) just seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Not something I would want to try here in the states (always carry a pistol when hiking, if for nothing else the potential for rabid animals).

Edit: Oh well, thinking about it some more, I guess I can't say that I hadn't heard that, but it wasn't in regards to the Camino. I always hear about gypsies in Europe and some of the rather drastic tactics they'll take to rob you blind. I've heard that they'll go so far as to throw a baby at you, and you're of course going to catch a baby so while your hands are full they just rob you blind. That sounded very far fetched to me, but evidently it's a thing.

Edit2: Also I've heard hostels, in general (everywhere), aren't exactly unknown to have thieves about.
:lol: :lol:

I'm sure bad things happen in Europe, I'm sure bad things happen in the States, but, never fear they're not the norm. People tell tall stories, they are normally told by people who haven't been beyond their own village, it's their excuse for not going beyond their village.
I've been travelling around Europe on my own since I was in my 20's, I even hitch hiked on my own in my 20's, that isn't something I would recommend to a young female now but I survived intact!
The camino is as safe as anywhere, and safer than most places, just use common sense and don't leave sums of money around, accessible or in view, after all someone may succumb to temptation.

Buen Camino, relax and enjoy :)
Sue

here in the states ... (always carry a pistol when hiking)
That would certainly help with the "getting a bottom bunk" issue.
The number of rabies-related human deaths in the United States has declined from more than 100 annually at the turn of the century to one or two per year in the 1990's. Modern day prophylaxis has proven nearly 100% successful. CDC

Vet14 said:
Not something I would want to try here in the states (always carry a pistol when hiking, if for nothing else the potential for rabid animals).

That's both sad and sickening...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The rabies question came up recently, and there is no rabies in Spain...apart from rabid gun-slingin' US pilgrims that is! (Joke.) :D

Buen Camino!

quote="Vet14"]here in the states (always carry a pistol when hiking, if for nothing else the potential for rabid animals).[/quote]
]
CaminoGen said:
falcon269 said:
That would certainly help with the "getting a bottom bunk" issue.
[
Falcon, I think you have hit the nail on the head! Now all one has to do is show up at the reception of your chosen albergue, point your pistol at the poor hospitalero - and demand a bottom bunk.
Vet14 said:
Spain is (obviously they're a first world country
Yep! Spain is a first world country. That means culture, tradition, together with all the amenities of today's modern world!
Vet14 said:
Some do it for the religious significance I imagine, I'm just doing it for fun.
And that is why the Pilgrimage to the tomb of St. James, known as the Camino de Santiago, is, first and foremost a Pilgrimage. You would be amazed at the various deeply religious or spiritual reasons why so many people undertake this 790 km trail. You only have to chat with someone while walking,to find out their story. Or participate in one of the after-dinner gatherings (mainly in the Parish run albergues - but not always). You will hear sometimes incredible things. Anne

PS. Ah - the gypsies. Yes, there are still gypsies in Europe (I don't think you will come accross one though! When we were children we used to chant a rhyme "My mother said, that I never should, play with the gypsies in the wood..." Maybe it's worth memorising it. You never know! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
annakappa said:
Ah - the gypsies. Yes, there are still gypsies in Europe (I don't think you will come accross one though!

I'd suggest that you might well come across gypsies in Spain, but not realise that you have. I studied (loosely speaking) in Valencia for a year and apparently I lived in a 'gypsy neighbourhood'. I was told things like 'It's better to live among them than beside them, because you're less likely to be robbed'. I really liked living there, and wasn't even able to identify who was a gypsy and who wasn't. (I was regularly drunk, though, I must admit.)

Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Gypsy... all mixed together make Spanish culture what it is.

Buen Camino!

Vet14 said:
...thought it'd be neat to do if I'm ever in Europe. Well, as it turns out, I'll be heading to Germany this summer, and so I was hoping to do the Camino sometime around June while I'm over there.
>
>
That'll give you plenty of time to find out about, and decide for which, Camino you might "neatly do". This Forum offers most ingredients for your preparation.
Coming from Texas and spending some time in Germany prior to going to Spain, you will probably gain a different life perspective.
Germany has 3 times the population of Texas, a different language, and most decidedly a different culture from yours.
Spain is culturally different again, sizes about 2/3 of Texas with twice the latter's population, and people mostly speak yet another language, not necessarily "Castellano".
Put prejudices and fears aside, open up to another, gratifying world.

Not particularly, no. I have fire insurance but don't think I'll ever need it. I have auto insurance but hope I never need it. I have flood insurance but hope I never need it. And I have a pistol and hope I never need it, though I have used it once outside of a firing range to euthanize a deer someone left for dead with an arrow in it but didn't finish off.

And if you take a gander at this, Rabies isn't rare, though not really common either, in Texas. I'm immunized, but would still prefer not to be bitten.

You would be amazed at the various deeply religious or spiritual reasons why so many people undertake this 790 km trail.

While we're talking about religion, tell me something: is atheism frowned upon in Spain as it is here? I'm atheist but have to pretty much keep it to myself to avoid discrimination. Should I do the same in Spain as well?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While we're talking about religion, tell me something: is atheism frowned upon in Spain as it is here? I'm atheist but have to pretty much keep it to myself to avoid discrimination. Should I do the same in Spain as well?

Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Gypsy... all mixed together make Spanish culture what it is.

Very little bigotry here in Spain, no-one will care about your religious beliefs provided you don't deliberately give offence.
I have never been to the US and my opinions are based on those 'tales people tell' but I understand that the so called 'Bible belt', wherever that may be, is incredibly bigoted. I'm sure someone will tell me I am wrong but I would be a lot more frightened to walk in the US than anywhere here in western Europe. Institutionalized bigotry went out with the Inquisition.
On the other hand I was taught never to start a conversation on religion or politics!
Kepp your mind, eyes and ears open, Europe has been here a long time and has much to offer.

Sue said:
never to start a conversation on religion or politics!

Best suggestion that can be made.

Also...never argue with a drunk!

Last one: he who looks for trouble...is sure to find it!

Saludos

Arn

PS...now I think I'll get back to the underwear thread...something about tongs I think. Someone planning a BBQ...I'm there.

As to pistols for protection:
Two months into his stay in the United States, he received an invitation, along with Webb Haymaker, his homestay brother, to a Halloween party organized for Japanese exchange students on October 17, 1992. Hattori went dressed in a tuxedo in imitation of John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever. Upon their arrival in the quiet working class neighborhood where the party was held, the boys mistook the Peairs' residence for their intended destination due to the similarity of the address and the Halloween decorations on the outside of the house, and proceeded to step out of their car and walk to the front door.

Hattori and Haymaker rang the front doorbell but, seemingly receiving no response, began to walk back to their car. Meanwhile, inside the house, their arrival had not gone unnoticed. Bonnie Peairs had peered out the side door and saw them. Mrs. Peairs, startled, retreated inside, locked the door, and said to her husband, "Rodney, get your gun." Hattori and Haymaker were walking to their car when the carport door was opened again, this time by Mr. Peairs. He was armed with a loaded and cocked .44 magnum revolver. He pointed it at Hattori, and yelled "Freeze." Simultaneously, Hattori, likely thinking he said "please," stepped back towards the house, saying "We're here for the party." Haymaker, seeing the weapon, shouted after Hattori, but Peairs fired his weapon at point blank range at Hattori, hitting him in the chest, and then ran back inside. Haymaker rushed to Hattori, badly wounded and lying where he fell, on his back. Haymaker ran to the home next door to the Peairs' house for help. Neither Mr. Peairs nor his wife came out of their house until the police arrived, about 40 minutes after the shooting. Mrs. Peairs shouted to a neighbor to "go away" when the neighbor called for help. One of Peairs' children later told police that her mother asked, "Why did you shoot him?"

The shot had pierced the upper and lower lobes of Hattori's left lung, and exited through the area of the seventh rib; he died in the ambulance minutes later, from loss of blood.
Hundreds of strangers knock on doors on Halloween in the U.S., so the whole "home protection" story is a bit thin for that particular night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apologies. I just responded to a post, which I thought related to mine but may or may not have. It's now deleted.

Hundreds of strangers knock on doors on Halloween in the U.S., so the whole "home protection" story is a bit thin for that particular night.

Generally if the lights are off in the house, you don't go up to it. And since there's hundreds of strangers about, it's also the perfect time to break into a house since you can be pretty anonymous and lots of home owners are gone trick or treating with their kids, so it's not really all that thin of an excuse. He should've exercised more judgment, no doubt, but a tragedy doesn't nullify the usefulness of firearms.

I have never been to the US and my opinions are based on those 'tales people tell' but I understand that the so called 'Bible belt', wherever that may be, is incredibly bigoted. I'm sure someone will tell me I am wrong but I would be a lot more frightened to walk in the US than anywhere here in western Europe. Institutionalized bigotry went out with the Inquisition.

This is what's generally considered the 'Bible Belt', and the only thing people really get worked up about in that area is religion. Just smile and nod at whatever they want to talk about in that regard, name a random church that you attend when they ask (and hope they don't go to that same church!), and you'll be fine. Folks are nice in all other regards (well, except politics) but some how it became the cultural norm to be religious in the US, sometimes fanatically so and especially in that region in particular. Ironic, considering what our country was founded on, but there you go....

Walking around isn't a real big problem in terms of safety, though it is kind of strange outside a big city because everyone just drives everywhere (most things are too far apart and can't be walked to, and we have shit public transportation in all but the largest of towns). You definitely want to avoid sketchy neighborhoods but I imagine that's true of anywhere.

So in short: keep shut about religion and politics (unless you agree with them), and you'll be fine.

On the other hand I was taught never to start a conversation on religion or politics!

This is the rule I try to follow (as above), especially given that I'm the antipodal of the religion around me and much more left leaning than the political climate around me (though I refuse to identify with either party as both have some good ideas).

The Camino in my opinion is extremely safe. No weapons required. While there are a few examples of theft, overexposure etc., I do not believe anyone using common sense should have any fears.

My experience in regards to conversations on the Camino are that they cover any and all topics including religion and politics. I found it a wonderful experience to engage in conversations about politics, religion and economics to name a few. The differences we had in our views were never contentious and the conversations led to clarifiction and the adjustment of some opinions. The Camino is a wonderful place for each of us to exemplify the very best that each of our cultures has to share.

I would recommend each member of the worlds political systems walk the Camino. The end result might lead to a more balanced and peaceful world community.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.