• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

newbie to this notion!

Symphony

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2016
Hey guys!

I've been reading loads of threads over the Christmas period, and finally feel ready to start participating in conversations!

Planning on walking the Camino Frances from late June - August 2016 with a friend! Neither of us have done anything like this before, so at the moment we are soaking up all the information possible before beginning training plans in preparation! We'll be coming from Ireland.

Really looking forward to the challenge the more I read, although I won't lie, the first two days over the mountain is worrying me a little - particularly the descent - as I'm very tall (6ft 2'), and not great with my balance :( but hopefully it'll be dry and that'll be one less niggling panic off the load. Time will tell! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome. You will get plenty of good advice, and some well-intentioned advice that will not suit you, from discussions on this forum. My tips -
  • learn to search the forum - the fact that some advice is old does not mean that it is out-of-date.
  • treat any absolutes with care, particularly when they are delivered without any context that would allow you to compare the advice with your own circumstances.
  • if you are worried about your balance, get some walking poles and learn to use them properly
  • and finally, buen camino

Welcome Symphony, The first day from St Jean to Roncevalles is the hardest day of the whole Camino IMO, you are thrown in at the deep end so to speak. You do not have to start in St Jean, you can get a bus to Roncevalles and start there, this is where all the Spanish pilgrims start. Whatever you decide have a safe and wonderful Camino.
Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lucky you! Brings back memories from 1st camino ever. Well, back then I started in Roncesvalles as most of the Spanish crowd. Only one year after I did the stage from StJean. I know the majority start off in StJean, but you should also contemplate a start in Roncesvalles. It felt more camino-esque, as it's less touristy than StJean to me.

Wherever you go, good luck and give us your impressions here!

/Bad Pilgrim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey guys!

I've been reading loads of threads over the Christmas period, and finally feel ready to start participating in conversations!

Planning on walking the Camino Frances from late June - August 2016 with a friend! Neither of us have done anything like this before, so at the moment we are soaking up all the information possible before beginning training plans in preparation! We'll be coming from Ireland.

Really looking forward to the challenge the more I read, although I won't lie, the first two days over the mountain is worrying me a little - particularly the descent - as I'm very tall (6ft 2'), and not great with my balance :( but hopefully it'll be dry and that'll be one less niggling panic off the load. Time will tell! :)
Welcome to this wonderful forum family.
For your balance get some walking poles and you will be fine.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thanks all!

Yes, I think for me, poles will definitely have to be a feature! I was in Lisbon last year with the same friend I'm doing the Camino with, and on all the steeper hills, she got very used to a hand landing on her shoulder as I used her for balance-purposes. I tend to get a 'topple forward' feeling when going down slopes. All in the mind, completely, but I'd rather take no chances somewhere like the camino :)

Did contemplate suggesting to her that we start in Roncesvalles, but to be honest, the mountains sounds like such a beautiful journey, and I think it will be okay. I am reasonably fit - we will stop in Orisson for the night, and break it a little that way. Certainly it's not a race or a determination to cover as many km per day as possible!

Hi Symphony,

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will get lots of good advice here and many different opinions too. ;)

I would never contemplate missing out the Pyrenees. Many who have started in Roncesvalles regretted missing the experience. Its difficulty is one of the Camino's much overrated issues like bedbugs!!

If you plan to stay at Orisson, be sure to book well in advance as it is very popular.

I have walked the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees twice now in 2014 and 2015. I am in my late 60's and will be back next year. Weather permitting I will walk it again. Leaving SJPP around 7am I got to Orisson in less than 2 hours for a coffee break, then on to Roncesvalles which took less than 7 hours from SJPP.

This time-lapse will give you an idea of what it is like.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Lucky you! Brings back memories from 1st camino ever. Well, back then I started in Roncesvalles as most of the Spanish crowd. Only one year after I did the stage from StJean. I know the majority start off in StJean, but you should also contemplate a start in Roncesvalles. It felt more camino-esque, as it's less touristy than StJean to me.

Wherever you go, good luck and give us your impressions here!

/Bad Pilgrim
good advice, in this way you are in perfect form for your traverse of the Pyrenees section....

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An important thing to remember is that the walk to Roncesvalles over the Nap0leon route has taken on a mythical legend of hardship.
As you can see by the quick time video above, it is mostly on a small road...but uphill. It is hard to walk uphill that far on the first day. It is hard to walk that far uphill...any day. BUT...it is very and easily doable by most people. They do it in huge numbers every day in the spring, summer and fall. Most do not stay at Orrisson for the simple reason that it is not big enough for all of the people walking each day. Stopping is welcomed by many people but certainly not done by most.

The main cause of hardship is the first day of real walking with a pack. Most are seriously overloaded and will start to discard things in Roncesvalles.

Someone should sit by the side of the road and video the overloaded pilgrims walking by. The fact that these people..young, old and out of shape, make it to Roncesvalles does take a little of the horror out of the story.

My point is that the description of the horrors of the first day is actually much worse than the actual doing! It causes worry and concern beyond reality.

That said...it is a day that requires a certain level of commitment and fitness. The sense of accomplishment is what carries most people onto Santiago.

Planning my first ever Camino for August/September 2016! Stumbled upon this thread. Will definitely check back! I will be travelling with my cousin - she completed the Camino many, many years ago and has always wanted to go back. I am so fortunate to be included in one of her adventures! My excitement is indescribable - as is my fear... I am stepping way out of my comfort zone on this trip. But, I'm thinking that is kind of the point...

Traveling from Kentucky, USA

Hey guys!

Hello, once you get to the top from SJPdP ( col de lepoeder, there are 2 ways down to roncesvelles.the recommended way is extremely steep and hard on the knees and if your balance is not great, then you can walk down by the narrow, no traffic road. It's a nice way and you can enjoy the scenery and not worry about slipping. I think it's only slightly longer and we always go this way into roncesvelles. Walking poles as recommended above also.There is a sign for both ways at the top. Best wishes Annette

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey guys!

Welcome to the site and what will likely become an addiction harder to kick than crack :) Not that I have ever tried crack of course...

The St Jean to Roncesvalles route 'over the top' is often portrayed as much harder than it really is. Just break the section in two and you will be fine. You don't have to break it at Orisson either. I found on reaching Orisson that I would have preferred to go on for a couple more hours. And you can do that....by using the great service of Express Bourricot. Just look at the 'morning shuttle' on this page. http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/persons-transport/

I got picked up at Orisson on Day 1, but if I did this route again, I would get Caroline to pick me up at The Statue of the Virgin. Then on day 2 of course, you take the shuttle up to where you finished on day 1. Caroline speaks perfect English by the way...along with a few other languages...

An added benefit of breaking your journey this way of course....is that on Day 1 you only need carry what you need for that day and leave the rest in your accommodation. Then on Day 2, when the hardest part of the climb is done, you can carry it all.... Just makes Day 1 a bit less traumatic ;)

You mention you have balance issues. So I would certainly use poles. 2 poles. Are the balance issues medically related. middle ear? It might be worth getting some medical intervention before hand?

On another tack, I actually had balance issues myself after a couple of weeks. Almost fell off the Physio table in Ponferrada! And it's hard to fall off a table! :oops:
I put it down to too much salt, as I have had that issue before. (same cause) I was drinking lots of Sports drinks. After laying off them for a couple of days I was fine....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Imo the first part of day one, if sjpp is your starting point, is also the hardest part of day one, right upto Orisson. If you can make it to Orisson, you can make it to Roncesvalles.

As @grayland said in one of the above posts, it really isn't the horror walk some make it out to be.

I even think if Sjpp to roncesvalles wasnt day one, but day 17 or 21 or 27, it would be just a day like several others.

Last edited:
Planning my first ever Camino for August/September 2016! Stumbled upon this thread. Will definitely check back! I will be travelling with my cousin - she completed the Camino many, many years ago and has always wanted to go back. I am so fortunate to be included in one of her adventures! My excitement is indescribable - as is my fear... I am stepping way out of my comfort zone on this trip. But, I'm thinking that is kind of the point...

Traveling from Kentucky, USA
Hi, you will have a great time. My personal best day is the walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. The views there are breathtaking.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Imo the first part of day one, if sjpp is your starting point, is also the hardest part of day one, right upto Orisson. If you can make it to Orisson, you can make it to Roncesvalles.

As @grayland said in one of the above posts, it really isn't the horror walk some make it out to be.

I even think if Sjpp to roncesvalles wasnt day one, but day 17 or 21 or 27, it would be just a day like several others.

Very true. My hardest day..... was the descent down to Molinaseca .... that almost killed my legs :( Going down is so much harder than going up!

There are a few videos of that section on this page. Just scroll down. Sorry, took a lot of videos that day :oops:

http://robscamino.com/26th-of-may-foncebadon-to-molinaseca/

Last edited:
You mention you have balance issues. So I would certainly use poles. 2 poles. Are the balance issues medically related. middle ear? It might be worth getting some medical intervention before hand?

Not at all, they're just down to my own notions of "oh god i'm going to fall" translating that fear to my legs which then turn to rubber ;) Think it's a height related thing - I feel like I'm going to topple forwards. There's one hill in my own home town which so far has beaten me in my previous running training, and I'm determined to conquer it downwards in camino training :D

Very true. My hardest day..... was the descent down to Molinaseca .... that almost killed my legs :( Going down is so much harder than going up!

There are a few videos of that section on this page. Just scroll down. Sorry, took a lot of videos that day :oops:

Those videos are super helpful, thankyou!

Hi

• I would never contemplate missing out the Pyrenees. Many who have started in Roncesvalles regretted missing the experience.

Not me! I definitely have never regretted starting 'only' in Roncesvalles ( apart from many other places too)!
Could it be, that I never needed the emotion of gaving to climb over a mountain pass, and that between one country and another. Having lived many, many years in, Southern Switzerland, we could take off any time and walk/ climb over the border to Italy?
When I first researched information on the internet about the Camino, I do not remember that SJPP was even mentioned! It's become 'fashionable' over these last few years, especially on this Forum. Adriaan just mentioned that perhaps SJPP will become a bit like Sarria - in other words, commercialized. Heaven forbid!

Will become? Imo it kinda is already. Sjpp is extremely commercialized, probably even more than Sarria.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started my very first Camino 1999 in Roncesvalles and never, ever regretted not having walked from Saint Jean. The Camino Francés is around 760km, the stage between SJPdP and Roncesvalles is less than 30km, less than 5% of the whole CF! There is a lot of pilgrim experience available in those 'remaining' 95%. Buen Camino, SY

I totally agree - I called that section "2 hours of horrible"

On my first camino I planned to start from St Jean. Two weeks before I bottled it and decided to start from Roncesvalles. I don't exactly regret that decision, but it did bug me a bit. So 6 months later I went back and walked for 10 days, starting at SJ.

At the time I just panicked and felt that I was giving myself too much to do. I felt I wasn't ready and I had boot worries. Changing the start point probably calmed my nerves and I suspect that was a good thing. When I actually tackled the stage in April, I felt it wasn't as bad as I expected... but that's not to say it wasn't steep... it was!

Looking back I think I was physically fit enough to walk that stage but perhaps mentally I wasn't confident enough. At the time someone on here did suggest that one of the biggest hurdles was my own confidence.

My advice now would be firstly know your own fitness levels? Are you in good health? How are your knees and joints? If you dont have any issues and you've been preparing, go for it... book a bed at Orisson and break the journey. But, if you're worried and getting anxious then just start at Roncesvalles and enjoy your walk. Either way you'll have a great time!

I totally agree - I called that section "2 hours of horrible"

On my first camino I planned to start from St Jean. Two weeks before I bottled it and decided to start from Roncesvalles. I don't exactly regret that decision, but it did bug me a bit. So 6 months later I went back and walked for 10 days, starting at SJ.

At the time I just panicked and felt that I was giving myself too much to do. I felt I wasn't ready and I had boot worries. Changing the start point probably calmed my nerves and I suspect that was a good thing. When I actually tackled the stage in April, I felt it wasn't as bad as I expected... but that's not to say it wasn't steep... it was!

Looking back I think I was physically fit enough to walk that stage but perhaps mentally I wasn't confident enough. At the time someone on here did suggest that one of the biggest hurdles was my own confidence.

My advice now would be firstly know your own fitness levels? Are you in good health? How are your knees and joints? If you dont have any issues and you've been preparing, go for it... book a bed at Orisson and break the journey. But, if you're worried and getting anxious then just start at Roncesvalles and enjoy your walk. Either way you'll have a great time!
Well said, for me personal the walk in the Pyrenees where my favorite day's.
Wish you well, Peter.

Well said, for me personal the walk in the Pyrenees where my favorite day's.
Wish you well, Peter.

Certainly as an 'opening day' on a first Camino. It was 'spectacular' :)

And I would probably agree, one of my favourite days.

The others would include:

Meeting David en route to Astorga. A lovely day's walk through rolling hills and villages.
Foncebadon to Molinaseca and spending time at the Cruz de Ferro. (though not the final two hours of the day. They were the worst of the whole journey)

With due respect to all you experienced caminantes, the very diversity of your views makes it irresistible to try for the NapoleĂłn!

Interesting how "memorable" can morph into "favourite". On my Disney Camino trip in September we had a day going up to O'Cebreiro of truly horrible wind and pouring sideways rain. It felt like an exercise in survival and boy, were we glad to reach the top. I now think back on it with pleasure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting how "memorable" can morph into "favourite". On my Disney Camino trip in September we had a day going up to O'Cebreiro of truly horrible wind and pouring sideways rain. It felt like an exercise in survival and boy, were we glad to reach the top. I now think back on it with pleasure.
Whoa, wait now... Disney Camino? you have my attention :)
(I'm a Disney fanatic, and take part in the RunDisney races) Disney linked with Camino sounds intriguing...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Disney camino? Count me in :D:D

Not me! I definitely have never regretted starting 'only' in Roncesvalles ( apart from many other places too)!
Could it be, that I never needed the emotion of gaving to climb over a mountain pass, and that between one country and another. Having lived many, many years in, Southern Switzerland, we could take off any time and walk/ climb over the border to Italy?
When I first researched information on the internet about the Camino, I do not remember that SJPP was even mentioned! It's become 'fashionable' over these last few years, especially on this Forum. Adriaan just mentioned that perhaps SJPP will become a bit like Sarria - in other words, commercialized. Heaven forbid!

Makes me even more interested to walk the Aragones in the future!

Do you mean commercialised for pilgrims or commercialised for tourists? I think the town has always been and still is an important tourist center for the Pyrenees and the French Basque country. People go there for holidays, it is scenic, it is a base for excursions and walks in the mountains in all directions, not only towards Santiago.

I saw sjpp with 'pilgrim' eyes a few times and therefor can only really say that towards pilgrims it is very commercialised, but i am sure that it is the same for non pilgrim tourists.
For both its a negative, as far is i'm concerned. Its a real tourist trap. I've always been happy to leave the morning after my arrival. There is not one town on the whole camino that i want to leave more than sjpp.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Makes me even more interested to walk the Aragones in the future!
We started once from Jaca, went to visit the incredible monastery of S. Juan de la Peña. A Romanic Monastery, built into the rock face. Probably the most interesting site I gave ever visited on all our Caminos! From there untilPuente de la Reina, it's a quiet walk with Beautiful views and only a handful of Pilgrims. The shock hits you in Puente!

For those who want to know - our Disney Camino was not A Serious Camino - more a fun, short and sweet adventure designed to distract from real life.

Doomed to have fun :)

Finding Arrow
Brother pilgrim
Winnie the pilgrim
Scrooge pilgrim
Beauty & the pilgrim

Just imagine....

Whoa, wait now... Disney Camino? you have my attention :)
(I'm a Disney fanatic, and take part in the RunDisney races) Disney linked with Camino sounds intriguing...

Disney camino? Count me in :D:D

For those who want to know - our Disney Camino was not A Serious Camino - more a fun, short and sweet adventure designed to distract from real life.

Just wanted to say thanks for the smiles... I'm a big "Disney freak" myself!

Welcome to the site and what will likely become an addiction harder to kick than crack

I have found that to be so true! I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted spent here.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.