• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non-Brierley Stages, anyone?

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot about how crowded the Way is getting in recent years, with new material and new guidebooks coming out all the time which is feeding the interests of many different types of people. While for many the point of El Camino is to meet new people from all over the world, personally I am looking for an introspective, personal type of pilgrimage where I can reflect on myself. A good way (so I've heard) to avoid the crowds is to go in between John Brierley's stages.

Unfortunately, many of Brierley's daily destinations are destinations for a reason: ample amenities, cultural treasures, etc etc... I don't want to miss out on experiencing these towns, but more importantly (in my opinion) I don't want to have to compete with the so-called "5 O'Clock Brigade" for a bed!!!

So I'm wondering: if any of you have gone "in between", which towns have been your most favorite and why? Where would you recommend I stay? Or, even better, can you give me a copy of your itinerary??

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Brierly is used primarily by the English speakers. His stages are different to the German and french guides and the spanish ones are different again. There is some overlap for places like Leon, but Brierly is definitely not the only guide, and I don't think it could be called the definitive one either. You could take the CSJ guide and make your own stages. Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While many people do rely on the "Brierly stages", there are many others who follow along with the papers you will receive at the pilgrim's office at the beginning of your Camino. I know there was a copy of it floating around on this message board months ago and maybe someone has it saved. Anyway, the pilgrim's office hands out a paper that shows different stages (I believe it's 34 days) and their elevations. Many people follow this.

I will edit this tomorrow when I can get to my notebook- I currently have family staying here and they're asleep in the room where my notebook is ;) I did not follow any guidebook, and didn't even own a copy of Brierly when I went (and honestly I was really glad I didn't have it!) I did have some other book downloaded to a Kindle that showed distances between each town and short descriptions of each town and the different albegues in that town. I didn't plan days too far ahead until I got much nearer to Santiago and was trying to make post-Camino plans, and the book was just helpful to know where we were going and what our options were.

Now even with all of this being said, I want to emphasize to you that there is really no way to predetermine where you will stay. Each day is different and you cannot (I should say you SHOULD not) try to figure out each stage before you go. Some days you may feel like walking more, some days less. You may meet people you want to walk with for a while, or you may reach a town only 10 kms from where you started that just SPEAKS to you and you need to stay there. I can only say that to free yourself from any kind of restrictions is going to provide you with the best experience. You also didn't mention when you plan on walking, and the time of year will definitely affect the existence of any "5 o'clock brigade" or bed race.

Anyway, like I said, I'll update this post when I can- or perhaps send you a private message- with my itinerary from last October :)

(EDIT: Here's a link that has the handout from the pilgrim's office to download, if you're interested: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ps-of-all-34-stages-of-the-camino-frances.12/ )

Last edited:
I sometimes stuck to Brierley and sometimes didn't. For the reasons you mention (seeing the major cities of interest) you sometimes follow something akin to his stages automatically. One obvious difference early on the Frances is staying in Pamplona rather than Cizur, which I think to most people is obvious anyway unless they're actively avoiding major towns. Later on, Acebo is a lovely little place to stay just beyond the Cross of Iron and with beautiful mountain views (although Brierley's suggestion of Molinaseca is also nice).

If you're planning a variety of accommodation (albergues and private rooms) you can add this into the mix as well i.e. if you're going to be following Brierley stages for a day or two those might be the days to get a private room, avoid the crowds and catch up on sleep.

Just go with the flow... pick large places when you want, and small ones when you feel like it. I, for example, try to avoid the typical large towns or cities (except Pamplona, Burgos or León, which are a must indeed).

You will be surprised by places like Torres del Río, Grañón, Villamayor de Monjardín, Bercianos, Azofra... lots of places around, just take it easy and relax, do not try to fight the 5 o'clock brigade, just follow your pace, the way will provide, do not worry...

For example, it would be hard to pick which one is a nicer place between Rabanal del Camino, Foncebadón, El Acebo and Molinaseca... they are all amazing places

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been reading a lot about how crowded the Way is getting in recent years, with new material and new guidebooks coming out all the time which is feeding the interests of many different types of people. While for many the point of El Camino is to meet new people from all over the world, personally I am looking for an introspective, personal type of pilgrimage where I can reflect on myself. A good way (so I've heard) to avoid the crowds is to go in between John Brierley's stages.

Take any other camino than Camino Frances or walk off- season if you want to avoid the crowds.
Walk from Lisbon on the Camino Portugues, or Norte, San Salvador and Primitivo, Vasco, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Levante, Vadiniense, Lebaniego, Baztan, Aragones, walk from Barcelona…
Enjoy your Camino :)

Last edited:
Here is a fantastic, free planning tool: http://www.godesalco.com/plan

I have used it to plan stages both on Frances and VdlP. I print out the plan and laminate the sheets for having in my backpack. If I change plans, I can always see where there are albergues, hostals, etc. in between my intially planned stops..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

Unfortunately, many of Brierley's daily destinations are destinations for a reason: ample amenities, cultural treasures, etc etc... I don't want to miss out on experiencing these towns, but more importantly (in my opinion) I don't want to have to compete with the so-called "5 O'Clock Brigade" for a bed!!!

So I'm wondering: if any of you have gone "in between", which towns have been your most favorite and why? Where would you recommend I stay? Or, even better, can you give me a copy of your itinerary??

Thanks!

Camino 2014:

The guidebook you choose to use is just that a guide. I just carry some type of topographical guide and a list of Albergues. The rest I leave up to the Camino I am walking and my own body. I walk till I feel like stopping each day, as short as 16km's and one beautiful day on the Meseta 52km's. You can also walk any route but the Frances or walk during non peak times March/April, except Easter week or Sept/Oct.

In regards to favorite Albergues, there is an entire thread on this subject. That said, I think many of the positive comments are based on personal preferences and might not apply to you (location, accommodations, food, hospitalero/a's, walking partners, communal atmosphere etc. etc.).

The Camino can be introspective while walking and communal at night, in my opinion. Some of the more remote routes, you might be totally by yourself, with the exception of the local communities that provide accommodations for Pilgrims.

Ultreya,
Joe

I agree with Annie. If an introspective type of pilgrimage is what you are after go out-of-season or take a route-less-travelled. Brierley gives you enough information to plan outside of 'his' stages; although I appreciate you might be wanting to garner a few of other people's faves. But to be honest it is all very subjective and often dependent on which hospitalera/o and which other pilgrims were in residence that night.
Just to say: I imagined my first camino (Frances in Nov/Dec 2008, largely following Brierley stages) was going to be a restorative personal and contemplative experience. It wasn't - it turned out to be something completely different; and was all the better for it :)

Last edited:
Here is a fantastic, free planning tool: http://www.godesalco.com/plan
I have used it to plan stages both on Frances and VdlP. I print out the plan and laminate the sheets for having in my backpack. If I change plans, I can always see where there are albergues, hostals, etc. in between my intially planned stops..
How old is this web site, how reliable is it and is it regularly updated?
A blessed New Year to all users of this forum
Jochen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I mean absolutely no offense. The term "Brierley stages" makes me cringe.

Ahh…I've been wanting to say that for a looong time. :)

Please don't yell at me.

Keep a smile in your new year,
Simeon

Everyone I met was walking the "in-between stages" (as was I) which are now the norm, like September is the new July. It's more about getting the hang of how many miles/kilometers you want to tackle the next day and heading off with a rough idea.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah, "Brierley stages", "Brierely stages". Haha :)..................On my pilgrimage (one and only so far) I took a Brierley guidebook and I'm glad I did. I really only used it to see where the alburgues were and how many k's between them. I started following his "stages" then felt comfortable to go off stage (still using the guidebook) to avoid the crowds on the CF. The guidebook helped me make a lot of decisions, it was a good resource. On my next Camino (if I'm blessed to go again) I might use another guidebook, but for me having a guidebook was comforting. I didn't have a smartphone or any type of technology so I couldn't google villages, towns etc to get any information, the guidebook helped with that.

Oh and the "5 O'Clock Brigrade"; just leave at 6 or 6:30, you'll still get a bed especially if traveling solo.

Buen Camino and Happy New Year!

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

Last edited:
Yes, like donativo albergues, it is free. But it is not free to the gentleman who maintains it, so you might consider making a donation if you are a regular user!! Just a thought...

I donated more at two donativo albergues I stayed at versus the cost of a regular albergue, face it, albergues are built with money, the electricity, water, gas, heating, donativo communal meals, and maintenance require money to keep them running.
I appreciate the hard work that hospitaleros provide at these places, so if or when you stay at one of these places please be generous with your donation.

I like what someone had written before. Donativo doesn't mean free. I will usually give the average rate or even more because sometimes I simply get more out of these types of places. I know I'm fortunate to do so.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I like what someone had written before. Donativo doesn't mean free. I will usually give the average rate or even more because sometimes I simply get more out of these types of places. I know I'm fortunate to do so.
Agreed! Donativo does not mean free! Please give generously at these marvelous places. They are some of the top places on the Camino and although very simple they make up for it in hospitality, Pilgrim care, name it what you want? Try them, I hope you like them, but ......donate generously ( not just a minimum as would be required in an Albergue Municipal) Anne

Watched the video of grannon, brought tears to my eyed, stayed there 6 times so must be special. But the shot of donation box showed only a few coins, made me sad!!

Camino 2014, in the order I arrived at them, here a few 'off stage' locations that are well worth stopping at: (1) the parochial at Trinidad de Arre as you approach Pamplona, (2) Villares de Orbigo ( 30 minutes walk after Hospital de Orbigo ), (3) Monte Irago in Foncebadon, (4) Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan, (5) the Benedictine albergue in Samos and (6) Casa A Calzada in Portos about 1 hour before Palas de Rei.
1 sets you up nicely for an easy day visiting Pamplona and is true to the spirit of the Camino, 2, 3 and 4 offer great communal dinners where the true nature of the Camino came to life for me, 5 offers a wonderful tour of a huge monastic series of buildings and 6 is a little oasis of rural calm ( with an option of a 90 minute round trip to view Vilar de Donas ) just as the larger numbers on the last 100 kms might start to feel a little disturbing.

Buen Camino

Seamus

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Donativo albergues are top... the important thing is to leave the DONATIVO as soon as you get there, otherwise it is very easy to forget and the regret it (it has happened to me once).

With the Brierley book being a minor guidebook (though the biggest English guide), it really should get very little blame for crowding in certain places. Some places simply are logical places to stop either for distance or accommodation alternatives. Every pilgrim leaving St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port is offered the attached guide regardless of native language. It certainly deserves more blame than Brierley! If you examine the Spanish, German, and French language guidebooks, they also have many of the same end-stages. So, many places are crowded not because of Brierley, but because of multiple guides that have arrived at the same conclusion to a day.

I agree completely with the recommendations on avoiding "Brierley Stages," but not because Brierley is to blame for anything (except maybe Larrasoana, which the SJPdP profile also recommends). Accommodations are simply easier to obtain in the more obscure places along the way. Pilgrims are treated less like cattle at the smaller places. Hospitaleros may be more friendly at the small places. Pilgrims who do not feel trapped by crowds at busy places make better dinner companions! And more...

:)

Attachments

• profile-map-camino-frances.pdf
    246.8 KB · Views: 19
Falcon has covered all relevant points, mostly the reason we are talking about brierley guide it's in English and all forum members speak English. I studied German guide and it's mostly the same stages. The Germans borrow the brierley guide as they think it's got more information than their own.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back