• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gortex or No -Gortex Shoes

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Goretex footwear works well in cold and damp weather, but when it eventually gets wet through, it takes an age to dry out again, the moisture gets locked in.. and when the ambient temperature gets up close to your body temperature, goretex doesn't really breath at all.
For these reasons, I think most avoid it for camino walking in warm weather.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After years of hiking and running, I am a believer in non-gortex shoes. No matter what, your feet are going to get wet if the rain or puddles gets serious. You'll also get wet once you get warmed up and start sweating. But you'll dry out much faster, especially in something like a trail runner. Just get good socks - synthetic or wool, and you most likely will be plenty warm, even if wet.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After years of hiking and running, I am a believer in non-gortex shoes. No matter what, your feet are going to get wet if the rain or puddles gets serious. You'll also get wet once you get warmed up and start sweating. But you'll dry out much faster, especially in something like a train runner. Just get good socks - synthetic or wool, and you most likely will be plenty warm, even if wet.

Last fall my wife and I walked the VdlP/Camino Sanabrés and on to Muxia - the end was a month of daily rain. My wife wore non-Gortex shoes, mine were Gortex. Both our feet were drenched pretty much everyday. The daily wet feet was a completely new experience for both of us. What we learned:

1. It's not so horrible to have wet feet, at least if it's not crazy cold. We put petroleum jelly on our feet each morning and that seemed to help. No blisters for either of us during the rainy part of our pilgrimage.

2. My wife's shoes got wet sooner than mine - maybe 10-15 minutes sooner unless we were both wading flooded trails, in which case there was no difference. But her shoes dried out when it quit raining much quicker than mine. Overall, her shoes handled really rainy conditions better than my Gortex shoes.

So in general, I would vote non-Gortex. They save you money by being a bit less expensive, they dry out much quicker, and if it's really rainy, your feet will get wet anyway, and that's not the end of the world.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree...it really doesn't matter if your shoes or boots are goretex or not. I have both and it really does not matter. I have expensive waterproof socks and even using them with the goretex boots after a while you end up with wet feet.

@elajenki , another vote for non, from someone who wears both. I wear gortex boots wandering around at home in the winter months, mainly because then I can just walk straight through the puddles and mud. But in the summer most definitely non gortex.

I'm following a guy hiking the TA at the moment, a couple of days ago they had to do 60 plus river crossings in that one day, most of them in the first 3 -4 hours. If they had had Gore-Tex shoes their feet would have been permanently wet, as it was they dried out relatively quickly. Non-gortex shoes are pretty common in the through - hikers community ( PCT, AT etc), although there are always gortex proponents.

If you do a quick search you will find that this question comes up very often here on the forum, there are always a few people that vote for Gore-Tex, the majority however do not. Just like everything it's whatever works for you.

Last fall my wife and I walked the VdlP/Camino Sanabrés and on to Muxia - the end was a month of daily rain. My wife wore non-Gortex shoes, mine were Gortex. Both our feet were drenched pretty much everyday. The daily wet feet was a completely new experience for both of us. What we learned:

1. It's not so horrible to have wet feet, at least if it's not crazy cold. We put petroleum jelly on our feet each morning and that seemed to help. No blisters for either of us during the rainy part of our pilgrimage.

2. My wife's shoes got wet sooner than mine - maybe 10-15 minutes sooner unless we were both wading flooded trails, in which case there was no difference. But her shoes dried out when it quit raining much quicker than mine. Overall, her shoes handled really rainy conditions better than my Gortex shoes.

So in general, I would vote non-Gortex. They save you money by being a bit less expensive, they dry out much quicker, and if it's really rainy, your feet will get wet anyway, and that's not the end of the world.
Well, it’s clear that the Non-Gortex win!! Thanks for weighing in. You had a perfect comparison.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@elajenki , another vote for non, from someone who wears both. I wear gortex boots wandering around at home in the winter months, mainly because then I can just walk straight through the puddles and mud. But in the summer most definitely non gortex.

I'm following a guy hiking the TA at the moment, a couple of days ago they had to do 60 plus river crossings in that one day, most of them in the first 3 -4 hours. If they had had Gore-Tex shoes their feet would have been permanently wet, as it was they dried out relatively quickly. Non-gortex shoes are pretty common in the through - hikers community ( PCT, AT etc), although there are always gortex proponents.

If you do a quick search you will find that this question comes up very often here on the forum, there are always a few people that vote for Gore-Tex, the majority however do not. Just like everything it's whatever works for you.
I’m going with the Non-Gortex. It is clear to me now, it’s just makes sense. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I do not want permanently wet shoes. Thanks for your sharing your experiences.

I use Gore-Tex shoes for my weekend hikings during the cold weather and in case of snow or mud.
I don't like to use them during warm season because my feet get hot (and wet).
Also I don't use them for more than two days in a a row because they take a long time to dry.
So for Camino - non Gore-Tex for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know I’m going to walk in Hoka Speedgoats, but on the fence whether to go with the Gortex ones. I’m starting the Camino Frances on the 3rd of April. I’d appreciate any feedback! Buen Camino!
I wore regular training shoes until the rains in Galicia. I put on the goretex and foolishly didn't put on my gaiters. Deep puddle and the water filled the shoe and never left. Gaiters with Goretex or shoes that dry.

I wore Gortex mid-boots each day on a winter Sarria to Santiago Camino in January this year. Rain was common and wading ankle deep in water happened. My gortex boots dried overnight with a little care. I pulled the footbeds out and used newspaper stuffed inside (actually grocery store ad flyers) on the worst days. Other days, they dried near a radiator. I plan to wear the same brand again next winter on the VdlP. Trail trainers (non-gortex) worked fine in summers.

Last edited:
I know I’m going to walk in Hoka Speedgoats, but on the fence whether to go with the Gortex ones. I’m starting the Camino Frances on the 3rd of April. I’d appreciate any feedback! Buen Camino!
Great question. After reading a lot of information about Camino and Appalachian Trail hikers I opted for Hoka ATR 6 trail runners for my CF last fall. I also wore wool socks every day. After rainy days, including the big flood on September 2nd, I took my insoles out every night to allow my shoes to dry.
My feet never felt cold and I got only 1 small blister. I'm convinced that the Camino provided me with that blister as karma, for boasting about not having blisters

Buen Camino y buen suerte!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for asking that question!!! I have been fussing over this for weeks!! To all who answered, your advice makes sense and I really appreciate it ❤️
Starting my Camino in SJPDP April 6. Buen Camino!

I wore Gortex mid-boots each day on a winter Sarria to Santiago Camino in Jauary this year. Rain was common and wading ankle deep in water happened. My gortex boots dried overnight with a little care. I pulled the footbeds out and used newspaper stuffed inside (actually grocery store ad flyers) on the worst days. Other days, they dried near a radiator. I plan to wear the same brand again next winter on the VdlP. Trail trainers (non-gortex) worked fine in summers.
What would you do in the Spring, April-May? Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Exactly the same experience for us and I totally agree. He is now a non goretex devotee!
I did wear injinji toe socks under lightfoot brand socks and once the water squished out, I never felt that my feet were wet.
And a vote here for non goretex Hoka Speedgoats 👣

After years of hiking and running … a trail runner. Just get good socks - synthetic or wool, and you most likely will be plenty warm, even if wet.
After running 2 miles in dry sand, my trail shoes filled with sand, making them heavy and uncomfortable. Same thing with running on a trail near my home, where the soil eventually dries to a powdery, flour-like soil. Also, my trail shoes’ outer soles didn’t stand up well on the 3 miles of pavement back to my home. I eschewed my trail shoes for running shoes with non-porous tops.

Last edited:
I am sure you can get as many opinions as there are people. So all I can say is I choose not to wear gortex . My last camino, October 23, I wore Hoka Speedgoat 5 NON gortex. It rained for 7 days straight. I thought I might need fins and snorkel. But after walking through water to my ankles, and mud (I hope it was mud but know otherwise) my shoes dried overnight every day. And they were as comfortable at the end as the beginning.

I know some people who liked their gortex until the rain came and determined they took too long to dry and seemed to be moist for days after the rain ended. Personally I can not say how it would have been for me.

Do what you are comfortable with but I choose the regular speedgoat as they served me better than fantastic.

Gortex vs. non-Gortex is probably the most debated topic in the Camino forums. Although Hydration pack vs. water bottles runs a close second.

When I did my fist Camino in Man/June 2022, I wore non-Gortex hiking shoes (Merrell Moab 2 ankle high hiking shoe). They worked just fine, but I had very little rain on my Camino and for the 3 days with on and off rain, I again had no problem with them. I generally wear non-Gortex hiking shoes and boots at home too because I live in a very arid environment in California.

For my next Camino (Portuguese May/June 2024), I will probably switch to boots for a variety of reasons and I'm considering Gortex lined boots. I'm hiking the Costal route for the first 5 days, and my experience with coastal California hiking is that Gortex lined Boots help keep the sand out better. I'm not sure how much sand I will encounter, but that's my thinking.

My past experience with both Gotex and non-Gortex shoes/boots is that you only sacrifice a small amount of breathability and sometimes it's worth the tradeoff.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No to Gortex ! Almost ended my first Camino, and not from rain but from sweat ! Horrible blisters. Have switched to breathable Hokas and 4 Camino’s-no blisters

I understand this is a polarized topic, with many good pros and cons.
My experience is to go with gortex so that I can walk with less worry and just step into the odd puddle when required. I never found that they had issues drying overnight personally.
My preference is the salomon xa pro 3d's.

I am sure you can get as many opinions as there are people. So all I can say is I choose not to wear gortex . My last camino, October 23, I wore Hoka Speedgoat 5 NON gortex. It rained for 7 days straight. I thought I might need fins and snorkel. But after walking through water to my ankles, and mud (I hope it was mud but know otherwise) my shoes dried overnight every day. And they were as comfortable at the end as the beginning.

I know some people who liked their gortex until the rain came and determined they took too long to dry and seemed to be moist for days after the rain ended. Personally I can not say how it would have been for me.

Do what you are comfortable with but I choose the regular speedgoat as they served me better than fantastic.
Was walking the Portuguese at the same time! It was saturating haha.
The rain poured from above and because the ground was so sodden, and with nowhere else to go, you had to walk shin deep in water with shoes on.
Yes, the non goretex let the water out but my partners’ goretex kept it in, and as there was nowhere to stop and empty the shoes, it was a sodden walk til a shelter provided a stop.
No, his shoes didn’t dry (no newspaper available where we stayed on several occasions) overnight.
Personally I think goretex are great for light rain but not torrential rain and deep puddles that can’t be negotiated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm hiking the Costal route for the first 5 days, and my experience with coastal California hiking is that Gortex lined Boots help keep the sand out better. I'm not sure how much sand I will encounter, but that's my thinking.
There is no sand walking on the coastal route. It’s all asphalt and boardwalks and an easy walk. Enjoy 👣

There is no sand walking on the coastal route. It’s all asphalt and boardwalks and an easy walk. Enjoy 👣
You are correct for most of the way. When we walked the CP Coastal in April/May 2022 there were parts of the boardwalk that had sand drifted to the top of the posts holding the rope railings, about 3+ feet in 2 or three areas for about 10 feet in each section. All in all not much. We just stepped carefully through those sections and avoided sand in the shoes. Still happy with my choice on no gortex for both caminos, but that is just my opinion. As always go with what works for you.

One comment about this topic - I have found that the Gortex version of a shoe runs slightly smaller inside the shoe than the non-Gortex version because of the added Gortex layer. Despite my previous comment supporting non-Gortex on the Camino, I would say that fit and comfort trumps all other variables. If a Gortex shoe fits you the best and is most comfortable, then wear that shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In winter I wear waterproof boots as wet cold feet never really warm up, but on Spanish / Portuguese Camino from April to November I wear breathable trail runners and merino socks as wet warm feet aren't an issue my feet remain comfortable and shoes & socks dry in no time while wearing them, and my feet won't get soaked in sweat, waterproof boots when warm just make your feet sweat and the sweat is trapped.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.