• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte May 20th - June 26th, 2015 : Waterproof or Ventilated hiking shoes?

Jarrod K

Time of past OR future Camino
Heading out for my first Camino on May 19th!
Hello Friends!

I'm flying into Bilbao, arriving on the 20th of May and starting in Irun, taking the Norte till the split, then to Santiago. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get waterproof hiking shoes or ventilated hiking shoes. My feet get hot rather easily and I fear that if I get GorTex shoes I'll get swampfoot and be more susceptible to blisters. However, I'll also have a pair of open toe Teva hiking sandals too. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jarrod

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No doubt one of the camino fairies on this site will direct you to one of the substantial sub-forums on this topic, but I might as well add my two cents and say that, having spent a fair amount of time on the del Norte, a gore-tex shoe or mid boot (brand like Teva or Merrell) really seems to do the job beautifully. May and even June can be pretty rainy in on the north coast, especially the Basque country, but heavy-duty waterproof boots would be overkill: in fact, even if your feet get a little wet in non-waterproof boots, you're only going to have them on for a few hours a day, and they'll be dry by the time you wake up the next morning! So swampfoot definitely won't be an issue, and blisters are exacerbated by heat and sweat, so ventilation is more important than impermeability. But of course, as everyone says, it's a personal choice, and you've got to wear what you're comfortable with. Oh, and keep the sandals, they'll be great as the occasional substitute, day on the beach, or for walking around town to find the nearest menu del dia… ;)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used waterproof Merrells last year. I will go back to Keens on my next long Camino however as I didn't feel the same support .
Make sure whatever you wear have good grip on the soles as the downhills were very slippery. Three of us walking together slipped onto our backsides at different times. I became paranoid about slipping!!

Hello Friends!

I'm flying into Bilbao, arriving on the 20th of May and starting in Irun, taking the Norte till the split, then to Santiago. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get waterproof hiking shoes or ventilated hiking shoes. My feet get hot rather easily and I fear that if I get GorTex shoes I'll get swampfoot and be more susceptible to blisters. However, I'll also have a pair of open toe Teva hiking sandals too. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jarrod
If you're gloing to wear a closed shoe, shapped like a running shoe, I would opt for Goretex and change your socks regularly if your feet sweat a lot. I have also walked with trekking sandals - perfect in the rain: inta-dry after it stops raining!

If i wear my gore-tex trail runners now (its 2 degrees C outside) while going for a run, i still get wet feet. They just do not breath enough to get rid of the moisture thats building up inside.
If i wear my non gore-tex trail runners, i get nicely aired feet, but they can get a bit cold. If it is cold, but not raining, i always go for the non gore-tex option.

May can be difficult period i think. Yes, on the Norte it can and probably will rain more then on the Frances, but rain does not always mean that it is cold. And not cold weather and gore-tex i think is a bad combination if you sweat easily.

For me, gore-tex is just to keep as much rain out as possible, but if there is no rain, out they go, no matter what temp it is outside.

You say your feet get hot rather easily. Sounds like me. I hate when that happens. Honestly, i would probably ask myself the same questions if i was doing the Norte in may, but i also know i would most likely end up taking my ventilated shoes.

Best thing would be, try gore-tex shoes for a whole day and see how wet your feet feel end of the day. Feet are so personal.....very difficult to give advise.

Maybe an idea....ventialed shoes in combination with gaiters?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Friends!

Thanks!
Jarrod
In 2011 I walked the Del Norte from Irun to Santiago. I have also walke the Frances 3 times. Each time I trusted my feet to really good wicking socks and shoes or boots with Gore Tex lining. My career as a procurement officer for a major Canadian Fire Service taught me that Gore Tex allows moisture to flow only one way and that is away from the body. It is inherent in the materials design
There are two issues with any footwear you decide on. 1. Water will get in the body of the shoe if it flows over the top of the shoe.
2. Dust can clog the Gore Tex fibres so make sure to Knock the soles against each other when the outside is dry to alleviate that problem.
If you havent seen this last piece yet I am surprised. If your shoes are moist inside for any reason stuff them with newsprint which will draw moisture away from the material.
Buen Camino

Hi Jacobus,

You are right, gore-tex is designed to let moisture out, not in, but it does that at a much much much slower pace then a non gore-tex shoe. This could become a problem if, like the OP (and like me) you get really hot feet very easily. The gore-tex shoe then just is not breathable fast enough to wick that moisture away, with wet feet as a result.
And we all know what happens when your feet get wet and your on a really long walk.

What you need to know about Goretex is that it needs a ~15C temperature to work well meaning it will work better in the cold than in the heat. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sybille, Not a typo. As you know it helps freshen up the feet and avoid blisters. People often only consider changing socks when they are wet. In warm weather I suggest simply taking off socks while you rest, even if it's only for 5 minutes.
I've clicked on your link " Prague to Santiago" and hope to read it.

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Friends!

Thanks!
Jarrod
The best shoe is the one fits and support you the best. I also dislike gore-tex because it is another layer that is unnecessary in my opinion. But, it seems to provide sufficient waterproofing for boot manufacturers to use cheap leather or synthetic upper. Therefore these boots are cheaper and provide reasonable protection as long as the gore-tex layer is functional. My first gore-tex boot leaked on a third winter hike and i avoided gore-tex boots ever since.

I walked the Frances and Norte in a plain leather boots. Leather breathes better and naturally waterproof. Only way water gets into your leather boots is through seams (if any) or if the leather cracks and wets out. I applied a leather cream/wax before my walk and never had wet feet. A good boot design also provide special pathways for heat to escape. And merino wool socks is a must for those with sweaty feet.
Down side is that leather boots are expensive. If budget is an issue and you don't have the patience to break a leather boot, i would say go for a non- gore-tex mid hiking shoes and apply some waterproofing balm (e.g nikwax) to enhance its water repel lance.

Last edited:
Taking a page out of the book of childhood, I actually wear grocery bags on my feet, outside a pair of good wool socks but inside my shoes, when hiking in snow or rain. Yes, my feet eventually get hot, but then if I were really uncomfortable, I could just take the bags off. Old/torn bags are easily replaced. The whole system costs pretty much nothing. I've used saran wrap, as well, but that's probably harder to keep and reuse on the Camino ;)

At a technical level, permeable membranes like Goretex transpire water vapour, and that requires a difference in vapour pressure. I don't think they are naturally one directional, but because body heat raises the vapour pressure inside an article of Goretex equipment, the flow is away from the body. If you sweat so much that your body heat is insufficient to turn all your sweat to vapour, that moisture won't be transpired, and then you get the build up of sweat on the inside. It is not the fabric leaking - it is in fact working to stop the passage of moisture, just that it is the moisture (not vapour) on the inside not being let out.

In the same way that loss of the DWR layer on the outer surface will allow moisture to sit on the surface, and reduce the breathability of the fabric, I suspect accumulation of moisture on the inside will have a similar effect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's the first time I've walked in sandals so I'll let you know how it goes. They are proving very comfortable on my training walks and have handled bush tracks well. Fairly substantial Ecco walking sandals. My theory is that all shoes eventually get wet and muddy. These will just wash and dry easily. I hope. The New Balance trainers are my backup. We don't start until mid-May so I'm hoping it won't be freezing weather.

I walked from Irun to Santander i 2013, starting from Irun 19. of May. It was cold, a lot of wind and a lot of rain. Wore my goretex jacket, which I grabbed with the last minute before i left home, every day for a month, two weeks in France and then two weeks on the Norte. Walking in sandals would have been too cold.
I usually wear goretex runners or light boots and carry some very light runners for walking in the evening.
I have tried several goretex shoes and light boots and most of them get wet when it rains in Spain. If you don't take gaiters or raintrousers to cover the top of the shoe it is no use taking goretexshoes. They get wet anyway and takes a lot more time to dry than nongoretex.

It's the first time I've walked in sandals so I'll let you know how it goes. They are proving very comfortable on my training walks and have handled bush tracks well. Fairly substantial Ecco walking sandals. My theory is that all shoes eventually get wet and muddy. These will just wash and dry easily. I hope. The New Balance trainers are my backup. We don't start until mid-May so I'm hoping it won't be freezing weather.

I walked the CF last Summer from St Jean wearing these Ecco sandals. Worked well for me. Great soles for going up and down!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get waterproof hiking shoes or ventilated hiking shoes. ...

Last June, when I set out for my 'little stroll across half of Europe, I decided that heat would be a bigger problem than rain, we had one of the rainiest summers in history. Just saying .... Buen camino! SY

Those sandals seems an interesting idea. For most of the trail it should be sufficient. On the Norte, between Irun and Bilbao, you will encounter very wet/muddy dirt trails for several days. My boots sank 6-10 inches deep. People were loosing their shoes when lifting their foot from the mud. This was end of May last year. Luckily i had my mid height leather boots so it was easier to walk through the mud and clean afterwords. Hopefully you won't face that much mud this year. Buen camino.

Last edited:
I've walked with people who found it easiest in mud to take their shoes off and walk barefoot. It's tempted me several times. Just not sure if the soles of my feet are sufficiently tough.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm we were in the mud for hours on in. So i would not want to attempt barefoot. Perhaps one could wear a plastic bag over the sock and put those sandals on. And have few spare bags handy.

Last edited:
I walked the Norte in May / June 2013 and that year was very, very wet with serious mud issues. Barefoot would not have been an option and the stouter the footwear the better. Anyone walking in non waterproof footwear had a cold and wet time of it. I had Keen walking shoes which worked well and a pair of hiking sandals, but only used the hiking sandals as indoor shoes at the albergs, or when not on the camino. I wouldn't consider this route in the spring with anything other than waterproof footwear. Don't less this put you off, it was a great route!

I've walked with people who found it easiest in mud to take their shoes off and walk barefoot. It's tempted me several times. Just not sure if the soles of my feet are sufficiently tough.
After one very wet place where we did manage to pass by climbing the bank we decided that next time it would be quicker to remove our boots and socks while retaining our liner socks, then walk through wearing our Crocs. Remove said Crocs and liner socks which hopefully would have kept the mud out from our toes, dry feet put all the clean dry socks and boots back on and walk on. We reckon it should work OK for short mud holes but I would not want to do it for any distance. Our boots are waterproof and work, but this particular hole was water and mud nearly up to the knees. Our Crocs are usually for post walking time. We were glad of the ankle support in many places and our brand of boots was good too in hot weather.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Goretex works in theory, but it shuts down the ventating "bellows effect', and boots can become saunas as moisture accumulates faster than it can escape the membrane.

I'm becoming a real fan of the super breathable light mesh shoe and neos overboots for nasty rainy days.

https://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx

Goretex works in theory, but it shuts down the ventating "bellows effect', and boots can become saunas as moisture accumulates faster than it can escape the membrane.

I'm becoming a real fan of the super breathable light mesh shoe and neos overboots for nasty rainy days.

https://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx
Do you use them? The oversoes? They look so heavy, or am i wromg?

Google di goog....lightest available overshoe is 280gr per shoe. Hmmm. They do look pretty handy though.

Last edited:
@newfydog I saw these Neos mentioned somewhere before and thought they looked terrific for really cold wet conditions (the only time my lightweight mesh runners or sandals fail me). They're not available in Australia. We don't get snow and sufficiently cold conditions to justify them and freight costs make them expensive. I have thought about lightweight plastic overshoes used in medical wards but they would simply tear through on the sole.
@Tia Valeria in that situation I would be like you - wade through in my sandals. Sounds like this walk will be fun!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Neos overboots are not light, but that are bombproof. They give you a sturdy sole and keep out serious slush and mud, and don't absorb any water. Leather boots with a Gore-Tex membrane may keep you fairly dry in nasty stuff but they will become sodden and heavy eventually.

It seems that there's a pretty even split on gortex vs non-gortex. From your experience, what are a good pair of ventilated shoes that dry relatively quickly?

It seems that there's a pretty even split on gortex vs non-gortex. From your experience, what are a good pair of ventilated shoes that dry relatively quickly?
I hear good things about the Merrell moab ventilator series...Merrell offers a low cut and mid cut (peak) if you need some ankle support.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

hello Pilgrims this is my 2nd Camino, but first time doing Camino Norte. Flying into San Sebastián Airport on Wednesday would like to start Camino in Pasaje to enter the coastal route . Would...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would...
Hi Everyone, As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-smaller-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...
We are cycling and are two people, currently in Santander. We ideally want to book a double room. However we are finding the prices shown on Gronze are sometimes substantially higher when we make...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.