• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October: Camino Portugues or Camino del Norte?

AnnemiekeS

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned: october 2023
Hi everybody! I have a question for you as experienced Camino walkers. After a personally tough year, I have the plan to walk a part of the Camino in October (18-29), a dream come true. As a single mother of 2 children, I cannot leave for more than 10 days (12 days including travel time). I am inexperienced but young and healthy and expect to be able to walk a maximum of 20-25 km per day.

Now I'm in doubt between 2 routes: part of the Camino Portugues or part of the Camino del Norte (Irun - San Sebastian).

Now I expect that the weather conditions in October will not be optimal on the Camino del Norte, but the beauty of nature there really attracts me! Do you think this can be done or what would you advise? Thank you very much for the responses in advance :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Weather should be the same concern on either route in October. A bigger concern for the Norte would be which section and your fitness level, because there are parts that are very strenuous - particularly Irun to Bilbao. There are lots of beautiful parts after Bilbao along the coast without as many ups and downs.

Based on what you written about yourself, I suggest you walk the costal part of the Portuguese camino. It is a walk along the ocean, through little towns, at time in the eucalyptus forest. A perfect environment for decompress after a tough year.
Camino del Norte is more challenging, especially the first stages past Irun.
Since you asked for the opinion, my vote is for the costal camino. Wishing you safe travels, enjoy whichever camino you select.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I preferred Portuguese (from Porto). So you will be able to experience a real historical way to Santiago. Spectacular views can be taken on the spiritual variant but I suggest the classical way and a night in the Convent of Santo Antonio de Herbon. Buen camino 👍

Not sure if albergues will still be open along the Primitivo during the second half of October , but it is hard to beat from a scenic point of view. 9-10 days max should get you to Lugo. Transportation is relatively easy to Oviedo and from Lugo (both cities are also worth a visit on their own merits).
I think it would be a great Camino for reflection, and the section to Lugo is the most interesting and rewarding!
Good luck whichever route you choose…

Hi everybody! I have a question for you as experienced Camino walkers. After a personally tough year, I have the plan to walk a part of the Camino in October (18-29), a dream come true. As a single mother of 2 children, I cannot leave for more than 10 days (12 days including travel time). I am inexperienced but young and healthy and expect to be able to walk a maximum of 20-25 km per day.

Now I'm in doubt between 2 routes: part of the Camino Portugues or part of the Camino del Norte (Irun - San Sebastian).

Now I expect that the weather conditions in October will not be optimal on the Camino del Norte, but the beauty of nature there really attracts me! Do you think this can be done or what would you advise? Thank you very much for the responses in advance :)
I walked oct 2 to 22 on Norte from Santander to Santiago and had beautiful sunny weather other than 2 days drizzle! Autumn was amazing. At same time the floods in Marbella and south were horrendous. U never know with the weather. But with only 12 days and 1st camino I'd recommend Porto to Santago. Experience the walking into the cathedral square , it's amazing. Bon camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked oct 2 to 22 on Norte from Santander to Santiago and had beautiful sunny weather other than 2 days drizzle! Autumn was amazing. At same time the floods in Marbella and south were horrendous. U never know with the weather. But with only 12 days and 1st camino I'd recommend Porto to Santago. Experience the walking into the cathedral square , it's amazing. Bon camino
That was 2010.

Weather should be the same concern on either route in October. A bigger concern for the Norte would be which section and your fitness level, because there are parts that are very strenuous - particularly Irun to Bilbao. There are lots of beautiful parts after Bilbao along the coast without as many ups and downs.
Thank you so much for your answer! So for the weather there won't be a difference? And you think it might be better to start later on the Camino del Norte?

I can find myself in your answer. Feeling the magic of completing a whole camino will be so special. Do you have experience with the Camino Portugeus? Would you for example
Thank you for your advice! I can find myself in your answer. Feeling the magic of completing a whole camino sounds so special to me. What about the coastal version? Do you recommend that one? I love to sea, but the long stretch of wooden walkingboards might be a little boring?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Based on what you written about yourself, I suggest you walk the costal part of the Portuguese camino. It is a walk along the ocean, through little towns, at time in the eucalyptus forest. A perfect environment for decompress after a tough year.
Camino del Norte is more challenging, especially the first stages past Irun.
Since you asked for the opinion, my vote is for the costal camino. Wishing you safe travels, enjoy whichever camino you select.
Thanks for your answer! I'm really considering this option now. But isn't this version a bit boring due of the long strech of wooden walking boards?

Not sure if albergues will still be open along the Primitivo during the second half of October , but it is hard to beat from a scenic point of view. 9-10 days max should get you to Lugo. Transportation is relatively easy to Oviedo and from Lugo (both cities are also worth a visit on their own merits).
I think it would be a great Camino for reflection, and the section to Lugo is the most interesting and rewarding!
Good luck whichever route you choose…
Ohh didn't hear of this Camino before (or didnt listen well) but now it's on top of my wishlist! It resonates in every part of me. Only I wish to walk a complete camino nog (plans change every day at the moment) so maybe this will be the one for next year!

With your constraints, I’d suggest the CP. From Porto, you could finish it in ten days (or start in Valenca/Tui if that is too far). Porto is easier to reach, too, rather than some midsection of the Norte. Also, pilgrim traffic on the Norte in October can be a bit hit-or-miss and you probably want some company for your first Camino.

You might also want to consider other routes: the Ingles, Ingles+Muxia, or the first week of the CF from SJPdP with the idea of returning for more stages when you have the time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can find myself in your answer. Feeling the magic of completing a whole camino will be so special. Do you have experience with the Camino Portugeus? Would you for example

Thank you for your advice! I can find myself in your answer. Feeling the magic of completing a whole camino sounds so special to me. What about the coastal version? Do you recommend that one? I love to sea, but the long stretch of wooden walkingboards might be a little boring?
I imagine that the coastal way is beautiful, but a little longer (12-14 days). I only have experience on the last 3 days into Santiago de Compostella, which were very nice (late October). Perhaps bus forward from Porto a few days, so that you can experience finishing in Santiago.
Enjoy your camino!

If you're considering doing only a section of the del Norte, I would suggest taking a look at Santander as a possible start point. I think that's a bit easier than starting in Irun, and some of my favorite landscapes were in that area.

@AnnemiekeS , I've only done the Inglès and the Primitivo. Definitely put the later on the top of your wishlist for next year, it's amazing.
You said that you want to complete a Camino, not just do part of one. I assume by that you mean walk into Santiago - because if you do either of your other options, you're only doing part of them, not completing them. They both start way further back.
@Vacajoe suggested the Inglès, walking on to Finisterre afterwards would truely be a complete Camino, and a wonderful experience. Plenty of infrastructure, the majority of which will still be open, a lovely walk, the joy of walking into the plaza, but the pleasure of knowing that, actually, you still have another few days to walk...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Incidentally, the Inglès is very easy to get to. Doing this route will mean that you can fly both into and out of Santiago, - the bus to Ferrol goes several times a day from the main bus station, a cheap (but relatively long) bus ride from the airport or a 15/20 minute 25 euro taxi ride. Just remember that you won't be able to take your poles with you as carry on coming out of Santiago airport - coming in depends totally on where you started from, and possibly the airline. Lufthansa from Germany for example, no worries.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back