• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October Camino, Portugues or Frances??

Kendalaz23

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2017
I walked the CF in May 2017 which I throughly enjoyed. I have the chance of walking again in October...From Middle Oct for 2 weeks. As much as I enjoy walking alone for parts I also love the company of others & the social aspect of the Camino with other pilgrims around me on a daily basis. I don't want a solitary walk.
I'd really like to walk the Portugues from Porto to Santiago as a change from the Frances. However I'm concerned there may not be many other pilgrims on the Portugues at that time of the year. Would I be more quaranteed of having more pilgrims on the Frances? I'd really appreciate any input, especially of experiences from previous Octobers on both routes. I would happily walk part of the the Frances again than feel isolated on the Portugues. Thanks 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Someone will likely provide statistics or personal experience for context, but in general, the Portuguese is a very popular camino and October is still within (if at the tail end of) the main walking season. I think there will still be plenty of pilgrims to interact with.

Someone will likely provide statistics or personal experience for context, but in general, the Portuguese is a very popular camino and October is still within (if at the tail end of) the main walking season. I think there will still be plenty of pilgrims to interact with.
Thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the CF last October. Very social, lots of friendly pilgrims, no problem getting a bed however two weeks of heat followed by two weeks of rain with reduced daylight. It was amazing. Even though I enjoyed the Le Puy camino I didn't realise how much I enjoyed the company of english speaking pilgrims. My French is school girl.

CF will not be solitary in October

Edit: totally missed the point of the op. Seems i only read the first paragraph

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the CF in May 2017 which I throughly enjoyed. I have the chance of walking again in October...From Middle Oct for 2 weeks. As much as I enjoy walking alone for parts I also love the company of others & the social aspect of the Camino with other pilgrims around me on a daily basis. I don't want a solitary walk.
I'd really like to walk the Portugues from Porto to Santiago as a change from the Frances. However I'm concerned there may not be many other pilgrims on the Portugues at that time of the year. Would I be more quaranteed of having more pilgrims on the Frances? I'd really appreciate any input, especially of experiences from previous Octobers on both routes. I would happily walk part of the the Frances again than feel isolated on the Portugues. Thanks 😊
I walked the Portugues from Porto in October 2018 and there were plenty of people. The cathedral statistics seem to show that the Portugues Camino has only grown in popularity since then. I wouldn't worry too much about a dearth of pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back