• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October Pilgrim

Flaneur

Time of past OR future Camino
None
hola!
Anyone out there starting from Porto mid October this year (2016)?
I am walking solo, this is my first walk and I would love some company to take away the newbie jitters! I'm a fit, cheerful female with a few, um hum, years under my belt.
I love solitude and my own company so not planning to latch on to anyone long term, but more courage from company in the early days would be good!
Also, I am booking hotels day by day and need to organize baggage transfer. Any advice would be welcome. I am travelling for another month after the Camino, so too much to carry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola - you'll get on fine. The route is great and when you are walking although there will be other pilgrims around there won't be too many!
For luggage transfer contact Tuitrans:

http://tuitrans.com

Buen Camino

John
Thanks John,
I wondered whether there would be many pilgrims given the time of year. Everyone talks about meeting others, but they all seem to have travelled through the summer months!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... Also, I am booking hotels day by day and need to organize baggage transfer. Any advice would be welcome. I am travelling for another month after the Camino, so too much to carry.

You can also send your surplus/post-Camino luggage ahead to Santiago to @ivar at http://www.casaivar.com but contact him first how to best do this internationally. Buen Camino, SY

Landing on Porto on October 10 walking out two three days later on an eccentric/eclectic combination between the Coastal and the usual route, I will be cutting inland toward Valença/Tui since I really don't like Vigo. Johnny Walker got it right (as usual) nothing to fear except perhaps the Portuguese driver, be extremely careful and noticeable walking along roads and do NOT assume that they will stop before crosswalks. It is a fun walk, nice warm welcoming people, good food, pleasant towns. <---- That's me, greybearded, Australian bush hat, and walking slowly. Hope to see you! Bom Caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can also send your surplus/post-Camino luggage ahead to Santiago to @ivar at http://www.casaivar.com but contact him first how to best do this internationally. Buen Camino, SY[/
You can also send your surplus/post-Camino luggage ahead to Santiago to @ivar at http://www.casaivar.com but contact him first how to best do this internationally. Buen Camino, SY
Landing on Porto on October 10 walking out two three days later on an eccentric/eclectic combination between the Coastal and the usual route, I will be cutting inland toward Valença/Tui since I really don't like Vigo. Johnny Walker got it right (as usual) nothing to fear except perhaps the Portuguese driver, be extremely careful and noticeable walking along roads and do NOT assume that they will stop before crosswalks. It is a fun walk, nice warm welcoming people, good food, pleasant towns. <---- That's me, greybearded, Australian bush hat, and walking slowly. Hope to see you! Bom Caminho!
Thanks, Scruffy!
I'll be about 3 days behind you. I'll be looking for that Aussie hat!

I'll be cycling from Lisbon to Santiago with my brother between 10-15 October. Really looking forward to it. It's good to hear that there'll be other pilgrims walking along the same time. We might pass you en route, Flaneur.

Bom Caminho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be cycling from Lisbon to Santiago with my brother between 10-15 October. Really looking forward to it. It's good to hear that there'll be other pilgrims walking along the same time. We might pass you en route, Flaneur.

Bom Caminho!
Might be ready to hijack your bike! Bom Caminho!

Hello fellow flaneur! I too am starting from Porto in October but will probably be too far behind you. I haven't decided my route for the first few days (may pop over to Braga) but am planning on being in Ponte de Lima the night of October 20, as I have a hotel reservation. Planning to arrive in Santiago on October 28. If you are on Facebook, there is a women's Camino group called Camigas that has great information and inspiration. You can also find people walking at the same time as you as there is a spreadsheet with everyone's departure and route info. Bom caminho!

Hello fellow flaneur! I too am starting from Porto in October but will probably be too far behind you. I haven't decided my route for the first few days (may pop over to Braga) but am planning on being in Ponte de Lima the night of October 20, as I have a hotel reservation. Planning to arrive in Santiago on October 28. If you are on Facebook, there is a women's Camino group called Camigas that has great information and inspiration. You can also find people walking at the same time as you as there is a spreadsheet with everyone's departure and route info. Bom caminho!
Best news I 've heard yet! Thanks so much, Jill.

€60,-
We're (myhusband and I) arriving in Porto on Oct 5th and start walking on Oct 7th. We also have a few years on us. :) Hit me up on facebook if you'd like to meet up. We are also travelling for a few weeks after our hike. I just arranged for the transport of our extra stuff from Porto - Santiago through http://tuitrans.com/. They charged 60 euro to transport it. It should be waiting for us in our hotel in Santiago when we get there. Looks like a good service.

Howdy, all. I'll be landing in Porto the 12th, wandering around a bit, then heading north the morning of the 13th along the central route. Hope to see a few of you along the way.

I'll be heading out from the 11th from Porto. My first Camino too....a mix of excited and wonder....and a bit of panic about not being as prepared as I thought (what on earth am I packing!) Hopefully see some of you out there! I'm thinking of doing the first bit on the coastal route then heading back to the Central...any thoughts/advice?

€60,-
I'll be heading out from the 11th from Porto. My first Camino too....a mix of excited and wonder....and a bit of panic about not being as prepared as I thought (what on earth am I packing!) Hopefully see some of you out there! I'm thinking of doing the first bit on the coastal route then heading back to the Central...any thoughts/advice?
Welcom on the forum MayaB

All what you do not pack is an advantage ! Pack light is my advice !

Various plans to leave Porto

Stay two or three days in Porto for sightseeing. Beautifull town.
Walk fom the cathedral along the river and the ocean front to Matosinhos.10 kms
From the Leixões harbourbridge take the metro back to Porto to stay the night and return the next morning back to Matosinhos by metro (stop Mercado) and continue your walk to Vila do Conde on the boardwalk along the Atlantic ocean.
Then in Vila do Conde you can decide to contino de Coastal or head inland on the Central route to São Pedro de Rates.
If you decide for the Central route, don't forget to stay at Casa Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

Bom caminho

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice Albertinho. That sounds like the perfect suggestion - I think I will probably follow that and turn back in at Vila do Conde towards the Central route. Will keep CAsa Fernanda in mind.

Btw, can someone point me in the direction of the best updated list online somewhere of all the villages/stops, distances between them and corresponding Albergues. I think at a minimum that would be really useful to have!!! Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice Albertinho. That sounds like the perfect suggestion - I think I will probably follow that and turn back in at Vila do Conde towards the Central route. Will keep CAsa Fernanda in mind.

Btw, can someone point me in the direction of the best updated list online somewhere of all the villages/stops, distances between them and corresponding Albergues. I think at a minimum that would be really useful to have!!! Thanks
You are welcome !

First albergue except for Porto-I do not know that one- is in Vila do Conde.
Second in São Pedro de Rates then you'll find 3 just before and in Barcelos
Next in Tamèl but walk on for 6 kms to the best Caminho experience -Casa Fernanda- a house, people open for pilgrims-donativo-meals,bed and breakfast and a very special atmosphere-I was hospitaleiro there some times-
Next albergue is in Ponte de Lima.
Your next is after a hard day climbing the Alto da Portela Grande mountain in Rubiães. Then the next in Valença do Minho -3 kms further and one hour later due to a different timezone in Tui.
Nearby Valença is also an albergue run by Canadians. Seems to be great too -I wasn't there.
Albergues in Spain.. Tui, o Porriño Redondela-(better walk on 3 kms to Cessantes where is o Refúxio de la Jerézana-look on the facebookpage if it still is open at this time.. Maria the owner is a lovely lady who cares for the pilgrims.
Next are Pontevedra ,Caldas de Reis(O Cruzeiro) and Padrón . Tip. The last stage Padrón to Santiago is 24 kms.. walk as far as Teo a Casalonga and stay there in the albergue and next day you will have a short last stage of about 12 kms and if you start at a decent time you will be in time for the pilgrimsmass at noon in the cathedral of Santiago.
There are more albergues in between some stages and all are menntioned in Brierley's guide aswell Johnny Walker's guide(to be downloaded here on the forum-donativo-great guide !)

Alternative out of Porto by the ancient route-adviced to take the metro from Porto to Fórum Maia (close by the Porto airport ) and wakk from there about 12 kms to albergue o Mosteiro do Vairão-great place in a lovely ancient monastery .From there an easy walk in a nice rural area to São Pedro de Rates.

Alternative from Pontevedra.
After 3 kms out of Pontevedra head to the left to the caminho Português Variante Espiritual.
The first albergue is in Armenteira and the second in Vila Nova de Arousa.
Look at the subforum on the Portuguese forum for more information.

Bom caminho.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you again Albertinho! You are a fountain of knowledge and a real help for my somewhat impulsive (read disorganised) self! Thank you for the recommendations. It makes a real difference. Though now the alternative routes have given me choices....time to flip a coin ;)
Have a wonderful day

Most read last week in this forum

Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...
Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back