• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October walk

davidduff

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I am David from Maryland and I am planning to start the Camino around October 15th. I have been reading and planning for a while and can not wait to start. I had planned on an April-May walk but family health issues made postponing it a better choice. I hope to have 35 to 40 days to walk and am so looking forward to it. See you there!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi David,
I walked the CF in October/November 2014 and it was lovely. The weather was good (no rain at all until nearly) the end of the meseta, enough pilgrims to socialize with, but not too many so that it becomes overcrowded. Buen Camino! SY

Hello. I expect to be there in mid-October as well. In Oct-Nov 2014, I walked from SJPP to Sahagun (400 km) but had to stop then due to family reasons. So, I'm planning to start again at SJPP this year. As SYates said, it is a great time of year to walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello. I expect to be there in mid-October as well. ... So, I'm planning to start again at SJPP this year.

Hopefully so will I! October can be splendid with golden days and chilly nights. Happy planning!

Lol, now you really got me tempted to join the fun and walk again! Buen Camino, SY

Buen Camino David! I will be a few weeks ahead of you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
David...welcome to the Forum ... and the Class of 2015.
I walked the CF last October and it was fantastic; though the walk to Finisterre was miserable...rain, cold rain...Muxia sunny, sunny.
You have plenty of time to make both the SJPDP0SdC...then SdC to Fin or Muxia.
Any further questions or comments as you prepare...just ask.

Buen Camino,

Arn

David...welcome to the Forum ... and the Class of 2015.
I walked the CF last October and it was fantastic; though the walk to Finisterre was miserable...rain, cold rain...Muxia sunny, sunny.
You have plenty of time to make both the SJPDP0SdC...then SdC to Fin or Muxia.
Any further questions or comments as you prepare...just ask.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn: thanks for taking a moment to write. I am not sure that I'll do the walk to Finisterre. Everything is going to have to depend on how my back holds up. As I get in better shape over the summer (currently teaching full-time, but preparing to retire, and yes, I am a young retiree!) and lose some weight I will probably do better. I thought I was ready for a difficult hike with weight on my back, and did 8.14 miles at Silver Creek Falls in Silverton, Oregon. It took me about ten days to be able to walk without pain again, ha ha : ) Yeah.....

As I live in Oregon, I'm pretty used to the elements, to be honest. I'm not saying that I like rain, but rain is our life here for several months a year. I would prefer not to hike in it, of course. I saw a post last night that mentioned that October is one of the wettest months of the CF season, but went to sleep thinking about my rain gear. It's not Gortex, but it's good, and I think I could survive for eight to ten hours per day if I had to! I'm using some good Vasque Talia boots, so doing okay. My feet are always a pain in the rear, but as a big-footed woman, I've never jammed them in small shoes. No sense in that....so thank you for the note, and I am voraciously reading about October so anything you send my way is helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Deb,
I also retired early at 43 after 23 years in the Corps. I was quite fit until I got bounced out of a copter...ouch.
Getting one's back in shape is high on my list for a successful long walk. Problems radiate from there to other sectors and, as you well know, the impact can be painful.
You mentioned rain suit. I have watched folks with rain suits start out on a cool, drizzly morning in a full rain suit and after an uphill slog, or less than an hour of walking they are raining more inside than outside. Also, the suit can be a "run of a hitch" to get off. If you have been walking in mud...the insides can get grody, unless you take your boots off, and that's often such a hassle you just leave it on. I'm a big fan of the Altus Poncho...light weight, breathes well, covers your pack and easy on and off.
Surviving long hours needn't be a chore. Consider planning shorter legs and book ahead so you never feel pressured to push long after your "back" says....easy there!
Rain in Galicia let's one know that's exactly where they are at...Galicia:p

Hi Deb,
I also retired early at 43 after 23 years in the Corps. I was quite fit until I got bounced out of a copter...ouch.
Getting one's back in shape is high on my list for a successful long walk. Problems radiate from there to other sectors and, as you well know, the impact can be painful.
You mentioned rain suit. I have watched folks with rain suits start out on a cool, drizzly morning in a full rain suit and after an uphill slog, or less than an hour of walking they are raining more inside than outside. Also, the suit can be a "run of a hitch" to get off. If you have been walking in mud...the insides can get grody, unless you take your boots off, and that's often such a hassle you just leave it on. I'm a big fan of the Altus Poncho...light weight, breathes well, covers your pack and easy on and off.
Surviving long hours needn't be a chore. Consider planning shorter legs and book ahead so you never feel pressured to push long after your "back" says....easy there!
Rain in Galicia let's one know that's exactly where they are at...Galicia:p

I've found that if I'm in shape and about thirty pounds lighter than I am right now, I can hold up really well. I also have to keep the back at seven kilos, no more. I am pretty good with packing light, as I backpacked around SE Asia for a long period of time: Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia.... I am used to living out of a light pack. That's a very good thing.

I'm greatly looking forward to retiring from teaching: I'm stuck in a space for eight hours per day, and long to be outside!

Thanks for your service to our country, or to "a country" somewhere!

Deb

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I am David from Maryland and I am planning to start the Camino around October 15th. I have been reading and planning for a while and can not wait to start. I had planned on an April-May walk but family health issues made postponing it a better choice. I hope to have 35 to 40 days to walk and am so looking forward to it. See you there!
Hi David,
I'm Debbye Jean from California and will be starting in Bilbao walking the coastal route on October 7, 2015. Where are you starting???

Hi David,
I'm Debbye Jean from California and will be starting in Bilbao walking the coastal route on October 7, 2015. Where are you starting???
Hi Debbye,
I'm Theresa from Texas and I plan on starting the Del Norte in early October :) hope to cya out there!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi David,
I should be starting around Oct 17th, just trying to finalize my flights etc. Maybe I'll see you!

Hi David,
I should be starting around Oct 17th, just trying to finalize my flights etc. Maybe I'll see you!
Hi WendyD. I am grom South Carolina and am looking to start my Camino from SJPP on Otober 13th or so. Maybe I'll see you there!

Buen Camino!

Congratulations David. October is a great time to start...good weather, not to crowded and beautiful scenery!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope to start form SJPP on October 20th. Arriving by train into Bayonne around 17:00 on the 19th. I assume there is a train/bus still going around 18:00? I would be game to catch a car transport with someone.

Ania, Colorado

I hope to start form SJPP on October 20th. Arriving by train into Bayonne around 17:00 on the 19th. I assume there is a train/bus still going around 18:00? I would be game to catch a car transport with someone.
Ania, Colorado
Hi @verano ! Would you like me to add your name to the list on the first post in this thread?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.