• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Older Pilgrims

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Camino Frances.
Only a couple of sections of the Frances that has long distances between towns with albergues, cafes etc.
Mind you if you walk it between say mid October to mid March you may encounter many albergues closed in the smaller towns.
Get a guidebook of the Frances. Helps research what you will encounter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Except for during the final 100 km, if you cannot finish the longer distances, go into a bar/ cafe and ask them to call you a taxi. Taxis cost about €1 per km.

So, if you have a 20 km stretch and are exhausted after 14 or 15 km, ride the last 5 or 6 km. It is not a sin and others, including me, have done it on occasion.

While I try not to make a habit of it. I do not feel guilty about doing so when pain, fatigue or adverse weather argue otherwise...I am in my mid-60s, have done six Caminos, and have nothing to prove to anyone...

This said, I second, third... or fifth the recommendations above concerning the Camino Frances. While it is the most popular main Camino route, and has the most of everything a pilgrim might require, it does get crowded during the summer months. May is still a very good time to do it.

IMHO the best guide books are the Wise Pilgrim Guides, also available as an app, and the classic John Brierley Guide. In either case, consider obtaining private accommodations at places just beyond the established stopping places in the Brierley book, especially if space is not available at the exact village or town. this usually works, especially if the main place is booked full.

If you favor private accommodations, consider using www.booking.com to book out 3 or 4 days at a time on a rolling basis. Once you know better your walking pace and capabilities, you can adjust this booking pattern as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Except for during the final 100 km, if you cannot finish the longer distances, go into a bar/ cafe and ask them to call you a taxi. Taxis cost about €1 per km.

So, if you have a 20 km stretch and are exhausted after 14 or 15 km, ride the last 5 or 6 km. It is not a sin and others, including me, have done it on occasion.

While I try not to make a habit of it. I do not feel guilty about doing so when pain, fatigue oir adverse weather argue otherwise...I am in my mid-60s, have doen six Caminos, and have nothing to prove to anyone...

This said, I second, third... or fifth the recommendations above concerning the Camino Frances. While it is the most popular main Camino route, and has the most of everything a pilgrim might require, it does get crowded during the summer months. May is still a very good time to do it.

IMHO the best guide books are the Wise Pilgrim Guides, also available as an app, and the classic John Brierley Guide. In either case, consider obtaining private accommodations at places just beyond the established stopping places in the Brierley book, especially if space is not available at the exact village or town. this usually works, especially if the main place is booked full.

If you favor private accommodations, consider using www.booking.com to book out 3 or 4 days at a time on a rolling basis. Once you know better your walking pace and capabilities, you can adjust this booking pattern as well.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much. This is greatly helpful. Originally I wanted to travel any pathway except CF, thinking that would be a more authentic trip and with fewer people. But it appears the other Caminos are nearly as well equipped for stops for those, like myself, who have not yet trod it and know not what her capabilities are. So as a first run, it will be CF and I am sure I will learn more about the others when I am actually in situ, so to speak. Thanks again, Janine

I walked the Camino Portugués da Costa , it’s pretty flat and there a plenty of albergues. I walked with a 73 year old yoga theacher from Canada. She was great. I had started in Porto, she came from Lisboa. I meet up with a family consisting of grandmother, mother a 10 , 11 and 16 year old. I saw them on the coast then again in Santiago. So no worries.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Portugués da Costa , it’s pretty flat and there a plenty of albergues. I walked with a 73 year old yoga theacher from Canada. She was great. I had started in Porto, she came from Lisboa. I meet up with a family consisting of grandmother, mother a 10 , 11 and 16 year old. I saw them on the coast then again in Santiago. So no worries.
That sounds really good. Thank you for the report. Janine

70 yearolds are the keener pilgrims as regards distance, tenacity and optimism, as do indeed the 60 yearolds and the octogenerians, too.....
- so don´t come here insinuate anything, young missy!!
That lady look perfectly fit for anything...
and the CF will comfortably fill that glass anywhere along the route...

Last edited:
70 yearolds are the keener pilgrims as regards distance, tenacity and optimism, as do indeed the 60 yearolds and the octogenerians, too.....
I guess you’re English and my English does not jive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the CF when I was 74. There is one or two stretches of the meseta where there are 20 km stretches without accommodation. Also if you are thinking of starting at SJPDP I would choose the Valcarlos option because there is an albergue at Valcarlos.

While I try not to make a habit of it. I do not feel guilty about doing so when pain, fatigue or adverse weather argue otherwise...I am in my mid-60s, have done six Caminos, and have nothing to prove to anyone...

Hope this helps.
Now, that's experience talking!

Definitely the Frances. And, if you start in SJPDP, stop at Orisson! Then, go to Roncesvalles the next day. Keep your mileage shorter at first and build up. I was 73 and did great. Brierley's book is good, but so many people follow it it gets crowded at his stops. I used (and LOVED) Sergi Ramis' book "Camino de Santiago". Different stops and good advice.
Mid-September to mid-October is a GREAT time to go!
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino Frances.
Only a couple of sections of the Frances that has long distances between towns with albergues, cafes etc.
Mind you if you walk it between say mid October to mid March you may encounter many albergues closed in the smaller towns.
Get a guidebook of the Frances. Helps research what you will encounter.
Do you have a suggestion on best guidebook?

The Camino Frances has the best infrastructure, but the Portuguese Camino from Porto is a close second for facilities.
My only concern with the Francis is it depends what time of year you go. My Primitivo Camino once I hit Melide in late September last year was a real eye opener as to how busy the Francis is in 'prime time.' My Camino's on the Francis previously were always early April and I had not experienced the crush of people previously.

John Brierley's guide is the bible but the Wise Pilgrim is the really great one. There is also a Michelin guide devoted only to the CF which offers a look at roads and towns off of the Camino. I got lost one morning in the fog after missing a way marker, it would have come in very handy that morning.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really loved Sergi Ramis' "Camino de Santiago" Autumn Press. Great advice and many different stops than the overcrowded Brierly. BUT, Brierly maps are great.
To the defense of the Brierley guidebook, one doesn't have to stop at the stages he lays out and he shows all the places to stop in between and accommodation etc at each one.
I have never walked the Camino following exactly the stages in any guidebook (I also have the Sergi Ramis guidebook).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can also use Gronze online to get idea of distances on CF. This link includes what I remember to be the longest with no albergue.(17.2 km.)
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/carrion-condes/terradillos-templarios

And a much more common spaced 'stage' out of Astorga
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/astorga/foncebadon

But the Frances definitely has the best and most frequent infrastructure. But the most likely 'bed race'. Early May should be relatively uncrowded, but Late May and June will start the 'completo'. Try to finish walking by about 3pm; dodge the pilgrim 'bubbles' (do not plan stops on guidebook end stages (Brierly, Gronze, Amis.fr, MiamMiamDoDo, etc); or just make reservations the previous evening or morning of arrival.
Go and enjoy--lots of us with good basic health in our 70s do just fine!!

You can also use Gronze online to get idea of distances on CF. This link includes what I remember to be the longest with no albergue.(17.2 km.)
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/carrion-condes/terradillos-templarios

And a much more common spaced 'stage' out of Astorga
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/astorga/foncebadon

But the Frances definitely has the best and most frequent infrastructure. But the most likely 'bed race'. Early May should be relatively uncrowded, but Late May and June will start the 'completo'. Try to finish walking by about 3pm; dodge the pilgrim 'bubbles' (do not plan stops on guidebook end stages (Brierly, Gronze, Amis.fr, MiamMiamDoDo, etc); or just make reservations the previous evening or morning of arrival.
Go and enjoy--lots of us with good basic health in our 70s do just fine!!
Very helpful indeed

Definitely the Frances. And, if you start in SJPDP, stop at Orisson! Then, go to Roncesvalles the next day. Keep your mileage shorter at first and build up. I was 73 and did great. Brierley's book is good, but so many people follow it it gets crowded at his stops. I used (and LOVED) Sergi Ramis' book "Camino de Santiago". Different stops and good advice.
Mid-September to mid-October is a GREAT time to go!
Buen Camino!
Good to hear, I start from St Jean on Sept 18 my 77th Birthday. Have reservations at Orisson. Plan meeting my wife in Leon on Oct 15 and finish in Santiago whenever.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi-ho! Glad to hear your spirit!

I imagined the spirit of the younger person, ie the girlie in the original sepia photo on your first profile asking timid Q of your own prowess.
The present photo suggest you can do anything, we see it every time...

I imagined the spirit of the younger person, ie the girlie in the original sepia photo on your first profile asking timid Q of your own prowess.
The present photo suggest you can do anything, we see it every time...
Indeed that is why I often post that photo of my youth as it best represents how I feel. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ola - New Pilgrim - starting May 2019. Which camino offers the shortest walks between albergues? 72 year old woman in good shape. Janine
Janine, not sure if you saw my post (I only put it about a thousand times because I have such a hard time with these forums... ) I live just north of you across the border in Ontario. I am going in May too. I have walked from Pamplona to Leon and for most of the stages, you can stop about every 7 or so kilometers. I walked about 17 k per day but easily 20. I don't carry my backpack. I will turn 71 on the Camino in May. Are you looking for a hiking partner?

Janine, not sure if you saw my post (I only put it about a thousand times because I have such a hard time with these forums... ) I live just north of you across the border in Ontario. I am going in May too. I have walked from Pamplona to Leon and for most of the stages, you can stop about every 7 or so kilometers. I walked about 17 k per day but easily 20. I don't carry my backpack. I will turn 71 on the Camino in May. Are you looking for a hiking partner?
Danielle, Quelle bonne chance! I would enjoy meeting you and to see if we can trek together. I will be carrying my pack and I don’t yet know of my ability on the Camino. Let’s establish communication via What’s App. You must first download it and register. Look for me as Janine Lieberman. They are closed communications set up with specific members. Thanks for contacting me. Janine

Danielle, Quelle bonne chance! I would enjoy meeting you and to see if we can trek together. I will be carrying my pack and I don’t yet know of my ability on the Camino. Let’s establish communication via What’s App. You must first download it and register. Look for me as Janine Lieberman. They are closed communications set up with specific members. Thanks for contacting me. Janine
Janine, I will need to get my son to help with What's App. I am not too techno... maybe tonight... meanwhile I will try to see if I can download it myself but I doubt it... A bientĂ´t.

Janine, I will need to get my son to help with What's App. I am not too techno... maybe tonight... meanwhile I will try to see if I can download it myself but I doubt it... A bientĂ´t.
Danielle,
Okay. But basically you just download the app for free from your apple or android App Store (which is also an app) on your phone. Then you input your name and number or email and that registers you. Then you look for mine and push a connect button and wait for me to accept. But no rush.
And you speak French too? My computer is not recognizing French so it keeps changing my words, thus I write this in English.
Janine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Danielle,
Okay. But basically you just download the app for free from your apple or android App Store (which is also an app) on your phone. Then you input your name and number or email and that registers you. Then you look for mine and push a connect button and wait for me to accept. But no rush.
And you speak French too? My computer is not recognizing French so it keeps changing my words, thus I write this in English.
Janine
Well, you wonèt believe that but I donèt own a cell phone!!! Don't usually need one. I do have an ipod which is very useful... I am on facebook so use Messenger a lot... btw I am French... are you?

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back