• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Olvidado with mule via Pamplona - sections to avoid

longears

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2024
I'm planning to cross into Spain next year via the Podiensis.
Would be very grateful for some initial advice please for Spain.
I've done quite a bit of long distance riding (and mountaineering and walking) but this time am walking with my mule. I really like the look of the Olvidado for the tranquility and also less roadwork. Although mules are much better than horses in mountainous terrain, I've seen some youtube videos and obviously we're not going to be able to do rope and tiny wooden bridges or steep scrambly bits (although she's better on loose scree than I am and narrowish paths with drops should be no problem at all).
Before going to all the trouble of going through any detailed maps etc, just wanting to know how many bits I would need to avoid and whether there are easy detours?
Also just to find out if Spain is as easy as France in rural areas to find a friendly local who can loan/rent a bit of field for the night for us (we have our own fencing etc.) , as I would not go in high season and would prefer not to have to book in advance if possible.
Many thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm planning to cross into Spain next year via the Podiensis.
Would be very grateful for some initial advice please for Spain.
I've done quite a bit of long distance riding (and mountaineering and walking) but this time am walking with my mule. I really like the look of the Olvidado for the tranquility and also less roadwork. Although mules are much better than horses in mountainous terrain, I've seen some youtube videos and obviously we're not going to be able to do rope and tiny wooden bridges or steep scrambly bits (although she's better on loose scree than I am and narrowish paths with drops should be no problem at all).
Before going to all the trouble of going through any detailed maps etc, just wanting to know how many bits I would need to avoid and whether there are easy detours?
Also just to find out if Spain is as easy as France in rural areas to find a friendly local who can loan/rent a bit of field for the night for us (we have our own fencing etc.) , as I would not go in high season and would prefer not to have to book in advance if possible.
Many thanks!
I have done a few week or so rides in the backcountry but that was a different undertaking to the Camino. On the Via de La Plata I met two guys that were doing a section on horseback. It occurs to me that maybe contacting some of the Friends of the Camino Associations would be a place to start.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.