• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On Line Backpack Purchase

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Greetings,

New to the forum, nearly 72 years old, fairly fit and planning my Camino Francis walk in April/May 2017.

I live in Northern Michigan and am over 200 miles from the nearest REI or other quality outdoor gear store. Somewhat hesitant to purchase something as critical as my pack on-line, but ....

Are their on-line retailers who can help fit by message and who are reasonable on returns/exchanges if first option is uncomfortable and/or does not ride well?

I am 5'8", 165#. Open to backpack suggestions: brands models, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings,

New to the forum, nearly 72 years old, fairly fit and planning my Camino Francis walk in April/May 2017.

I live in Northern Michigan and am over 200 miles from the nearest REI or other quality outdoor gear store. Somewhat hesitant to purchase something as critical as my pack on-line, but ....

Are their on-line retailers who can help fit by message and who are reasonable on returns/exchanges if first option is uncomfortable and/or does not ride well?

I'm your height, a little bit lighter. I have purchased a medium size Gregory Jade 38 liter backpack. The Gregory's felt the best on me at REI. After I know what all I will be carrying I may get a smaller Gregory backpack, but I bought this one when I did because it was last year's model on clearance, and it felt good on me, and REI has a great return policy - up to a year, even if you use it. I would buy several backpacks from an online store that has a free return policy and try them on with weight in them. Do you know someone who backpacks who can help you adjust the pack properly. Many Amazon items qualify for that. Maybe REI online would be a good source.

Trecile,

Thanks for the great advice. Was not sure of REI return policy. Pretty familiar with Amazon ( many Prime purchases and some stress free returns as well).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like my Osprey Kestrel 48 but really if you can test some for fit, & during walks in sun & rain will help for preparation.
Another good place to find reasonable prices on packs is Craigslist so if you can find any Osprey, Or Gregory mfg pack & get either in your size. You should be fine as long as they have little use.
To size look up either Mfg on the web & they will have sizing charts that a friend can measure your back. The best way is still to take a road trip to REI. You have 9 months to try to get there it will be worth the effort.
Half the fun is the prep for the walk so have fun no pressure in this endeavor.
Keith

I'd agree with the suggestion that you find an online retailer with a free refund policy. Perhaps you can have an online or phone consultation first. Then order 2 or 3 likely backpacks so that you can compare them. If you order only one, you won't be able to compare and understand how the fits are different. (It can be quite important.) You'd be tempted to keep it, in any case, because it is easier than returning and looking again. Better to compare several.

www.moosejaw.com
www.backcountry.com
www.campsaver.com

Also, I have a gear addiction and have many packs. In 2012 I used a Granite Gear blaze. This year I will be using an Osprey Exos 48. I have several hundred miles on it now and it's the best pack I own for this purpose. It's extremely lite weight and the harness and build quality are outstanding. Its very comfortable. The layout is perfect for the CDS imo. Also, take a look @ the Exos 38 if you think the 48 too large.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Osprey-Exos-48-Pack_10238532_10208_10000001_-1_

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings,

I'm 5'8" and 165 lbs too. I have the Osprey Exos 48 in S/M. Fits like a glove. When the straps are tightened and loosened in the right places. Very light yet sturdy. With it done up on my hips and the chest strap done up there is remarkably little weight on my shoulders. Really pleased with it. Got mine from the Osprey website. There are quite a few rucksack videos on YouTube.

REI have fantastic return policy - Amazon also IF they are authorized dealer for product you are buying.
If you go to website such as Osprey, they will give you all the info you need to find the right pack - this is probably true also of REI. You need you know your torso size, so have another person take this measurement, or do it yourself. A good backpack makes ALL the difference - find the best you can afford, and learn everything you can about features, how to load, how to adjust, what size you will need, how much you can comfortably carry etc.
Good Luck, Jeff,
Janice

I bought an Osprey Talon 44 from REI on line. I watched their online demonstration about how to adjust it for the best fit. Then last December I was in Denver and dropped into REI to ask for personal assistance. They said I had done a good job doing the adjustment. This pack is totally different from the Deuter Guide Pack I used to the past five years, it is considerably lighter, has a frame (which I not sure about yet) less pockets and zipper pouches but I have traveled with several time since I bought it and I'm pretty happy so far. My next Camino begins late in May and therefore the proof will be in the pudding regarding my online purchase.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am on the Camino frances now. I'm 67 and ordered my pack online from Z Pack, very lite. Weighs a pound. They do not sell retail. They tell you how to measure and they take about 6 weeks.

I couldn't be happier. I don't even feel the pack until I put in a good 10 miles.

There are You Tube videos and reviews if you google. They are a very small company.

Whatever you choose, burn Camino!

Definitely research how a backpack should fit. 1. Size is not based on your height but your torso length, so measure that carefully. 2. For any pack larger than a daypack the belt straps are HIP belts, not waist belts. The idea is to carry most of the pack's weight on your hips, which are very strong and provide a good center of gravity, not your shoulders. 3. Get all your gear organized (or an idea of what you're taking) before you buy your pack, then you'll know what size pack you'll need. There's no right or wrong size, just what works for you. A larger pack might weigh a few ounces more but it's carrying comfort may be exponentially better. And vice versa. 4. Stores like REI have excellent return policies so try several different sizes / manufacturers to see what you like best.

Modern backpacks are adjustable to conform to your body. Way better than in the old days of external frame ones with almost no adjustability or the ones we had in the military. You don't have to go and try on a dozen of them. Find the right size and style you want and order it online. A couple of years ago I bought mine on sale sight unseen from REI and it worked great.
Osprey makes some nice packs (amazon.com) and they won't break your bank. Definitely don't get one over 40L for the CF. No need to.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think this Osprey video on backpack fitting and adjusting is pretty excellent.

Note that most, if not all, REI Stores will have the pack sizing template shown in the video.

If at all possible it is preferrable to get the pack fitted at the store by an experienced person who works in the pack area. I visited 4 different REIs and a number of other outfitters when I was buying my equipment. An experienced person will do a much better job setting the adjustable shoulder harness (which should probably only done once in the store and then left in the correct position under the vast majority of situations).

I initially bought an Osprey Kestral 48, but exchanged it for a Kestral 38 when I realized that it would meet my needs and qualify as carry-on baggage on United Airlines. Both were size M/L (I am 5'10", 165) and I was happy with the fit and pack. I had the luxury of being 10 minutes from an REI store and my favorite pack expert (Bruce in Roseville CA).

The video is also pretty good on how to adjust your pack when you put it on each time. However, I would emphasize (and this might vary by individual and pack) that it was important to pull the primary shoulder straps down and backward (as opposed to simply down) each time I put on the pack.

Carryon.jpg Osprey Pack Sizer.jpg

You have time. I agree with the thoughts about the major manufacturers (add REI Flash and Deuter packs to some of the suggestions above), but also look at the smaller cottage manufacturers. They uniformly have great customer service (the community is too small--if they didn't all of their business would dry up overnight). And they tend to produce lighter packs than the major manufacturers. I carried an Osprey 28L on the CF (July 2014), but have since switched to a Zpacks. But only after auditioning packs from lots of manufacturers. You'll pay a bit in return shipping fees, but it's worth it. Look at Zpacks, ULA, Hyperlite Gear, Granite Gear, Elemental Horizons, Six Moon, and Gossamer Gear.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

One of the best things I did before my first Camino was to make the 4 hour drive to the nearest REI and have one of their associates fit me for a backpack. If you can do that, I would.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Got measured at at Moosejaw yesterday and will be measured at REI tomorrow. Tried on an Osprey Atmos 60 at Moosejaw. 60 sounds larger than I would need. I believe they have it in a 50 also.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.