• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One For The Techies

Jerri Kerley

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2017-11/2017
I would like to take a tablet with me on the Camino. This along with my cell phone (Android) will be the only technology that I will take. My reasoning for taking a tablet is that is will consolidate my books, guides, social media, and pictures. My question for my forum techies is which one/size/memory/processing/etc. will I need? I am not a gamer. I do not think I will need extensive processing power. I would like to be able to blog and send pictures through Facebook without the frustration of slow processing. Any info would be appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I, also, am not a techie... but I just purchased an inexpensive Beista phablet off of Amazon. So far, I'm very happy with it, (although it was a little too sensitive to the touch at first, it seems to have settled down). It's 10" - I could have probably gone a size smaller, but I've scanned my Michelin map book and another French guide so the size will make it easier to read. I bought it because I bought a Garmin TomTom watch that didn't automatically update to my Microsoft cell or tablet, so I needed something android and it works perfectly. I've also got it set up for blogging. It has 2 unblocked slots for phone sims that are super easy to access so you can put in both your home cell sim and one from Spain, if you're planning on getting one. It also has an expandable memory slot of 32 GB. It takes surprisingly good photos but feels too big to use as a camera. If I do, my photos are automatically sent to my OneDrive.

I would like to take a tablet with me on the Camino. This along with my cell phone (Android) will be the only technology that I will take. My reasoning for taking a tablet is that is will consolidate my books, guides, social media, and pictures. My question for my forum techies is which one/size/memory/processing/etc. will I need? I am not a gamer. I do not think I will need extensive processing power. I would like to be able to blog and send pictures through Facebook without the frustration of slow processing. Any info would be appreciated.

Techie here. I am opting to leave my tablet at home, store my documents in a cloud storage as well as put the folder on my phone for easy access. I want to minimize my recharge needs. My phone on airplane mode will hold a charge for 3 days and I can still look at the Auberge's pdf so nicely provided.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not a techie. I brought my iphone 6S large size and had everything on it -- guide books, maps, kindle, phone whatever. All I needed.

Weight and battery life I suggest will be the most important factors in choosing a tablet. For good battery life look at something like a Lenovo, for lightweight go for a Samsung. If you like me struggle with reading small screens I would suggest you go for around the 10 inch size. You may also want a bluetooth keyboard if you are doing a blog ,something like a https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/rv7/Blue...ws-Android-lithium/B00BKW2410?tag=casaivar-21 which is only 168g. Having carried and hardly used a tablet before I would suggest that you be prepared to ship it either ahead to Santiago or home if you are not using it as every ounce counts.

Anyone planning to take a tablet, e-reader, or ultra-portable notebook computer on Camino MUST consider that the current airline ban on bringing these devices into an airplane cabin, and in some cases, even checking them in your luggage is gradually spreading. Eventually, I assess that the ban may be global.

IMHO and based on previous professional experience, the ban well should be global, until the threat has eased or disappeared. Please trust me on this. I used to do intelligence assessments like this for a living.:eek: Even 10-years on, into retirement, I still keep up with what is going on and what the consequences might be. It might be slightly warped or "dark," but it remains a "hobby." As they say, once you are "in" you are never quite or "fully out.";)

If this global ban happens, only functioning, battery-charged mobile / smart phones will be permitted on board. You should go to your departure or connecting airport expecting that you might be asked to place a live call at security to prove the point. You might be asked to access the web using your data in a similar fashion.

For my coming Camino on 27 April, I plan to bring ONLY my iPhone 6S onboard. The Apple saddleback battery case will be in checked luggage. I will bring my charger and cable on board as the over water segments of my trip have AC power at the seat, even in economy. Do your research before hand.

For those of you who may not be following this ban, I will explain it very simply:

The various "bad actors" (criminals, terrorists, whatever) seeking to cause mass casualties and economic mayhem by downing commercial airliners have developed very dense, very powerful per gram, and very small explosives that CANNOT be easily detected by conventional means used at airport security. These explosives can be concealed in larger personal electronic devices like readers, tablets, and ultra-portable notebooks..

For example, if you have ever seen the inside of an iPad, the battery is split into two parts. Other tablet-sized computers and readers may have a similar construction. You can find these views on the web or You Tube.

One part of the "battery" COULD be the explosive material and the other battery section could be a real but arguably smaller capacity battery. The iPad (or other tablet) would operate normally, albeit with much reduced battery life, until things go BOOM! The size of the explosive matter is enough to puncture the pressurized passenger cabin and bring down an airliner flying at high altitude.

This is why they do not want these things on board. I agree with that assessment.

The bad guys can even turn on the device at security to "prove" it is a real device. Once it is onboard the aircraft, all bets are off.

The idea behind placing all such items inside checked luggage in the baggage hold is that most baggage holds are not pressurized, thus minimizing blast damage. The positive pressure in a passenger cabin enhances the blast effect by pushing outward, helping to rupture the fuselage. Also, the luggage and contents would attenuate, to some effect the blast pressure.

I know this sounds scary, sobering, and downright negative. But, the odds are still extremely, very, remote.

It will not stop me from flying. I depart Florida for Lisbon on 25 April to start from Lisbon to Sanitago via Porto and the Central route on 27 April.

See you out there!

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From your description, I'd suggest any tablet from any brand would meet your requirements as they are not really taxing at all. If you plan to take an excessive amount of photos or video (I took 1300 photos and still just used barely over one 32gb card in my camera) you would need to factor that in however cloud storage services are often cheap (or free) and easy to setup and use. If you are doing a lot of blogging I would agree with above that having a small keyboard would be handy and light weight (see attached).

So since pretty much anything sold will work you just need to decide how much you are willing to pay (Apple iPad Pro will be the most but often overkill for many but nice to integrate with if you have an iPhone) for the features.

Attachments

• sil keyboard.jpg
    sil keyboard.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two years ago we took a tablet as we did not have a smartphone. Now that we have a smartphone we won't be taking a tablet.

Bluetooth keyboards have been mentioned. I don't use bluetooth with my phone but I heard that bluetooth uses up your battery fairly fast. An alternative that should work with your Android phone is a dongle known as a USB OTG. The OTG stands for On The Go. This allows a USB connection where the phone is the master and the connected device is the slave (when you connect your phone to a PC or a charger with USB normally your phone is the slave and the other device is the master.) This can be useful in a number of ways but one of them is to connect a keyboard with a USB cable to a USB OTG connected to your phone. I'm not sure if this will help save the battery over the bluetooth connection. Actually I've told you almost all I know about the OTG. But now that you know about this you can ask someone else if this OTG thing would help you out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-OTG
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-usb-otg-5-cool-ways-use-android/

Last edited:
Back in the day the albergues had PCs and you had to queue to check your emails. I arrived at an albergue once to find a very unflattering picture of me (taken in the pouring rain with a murderous expression) had already been installed as the desktop. Pilgrims can be so mean....

I did all that with my Samsung phone and will do again this time. Remember, everything you take you have to carry. I am going very light this time :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try sleeping in a sleeping bag with a tablet for the next 3 nights and then make up your mind.

I did that, and you are right. Then I realized that the tablet kept itself warm, and did not mind when it was not actually in the sleeping bag with me. After putting it out, we were friends again.

All kidding aside, I sympathize with the OP. Between fat fingers and dim eyes, I really can't do much of anything with a smartphone beyond the most basic tasks. I just can't see it very well, and a larger tablet makes everything possible. I used an Asus Transformer last year, and it was great as well as inexpensive. Don't know if they make them anymore, but there are a ton of options on the market. Don't worry about performance, just surfing and email/blogging are not resource hogs. DO make sure you can add a big flash chip to it for media storage though.

Thanks @t2andreo as a very nervous flyer, that's all I need! I know on a logical basis that the chance of me being on a plane that is the subject of a terrorist attack is infinitesimally small, but I still buy lottery tickets....

Ah, all we have to fear, is fear itself. She says trying to reassure herself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anyone planning to take a tablet, e-reader, or ultra-portable notebook computer on Camino MUST consider that the current airline ban on bringing these devices into an airplane cabin, and in some cases, even checking them in your luggage is gradually spreading. Eventually, I assess that the ban may be global.

IMHO and based on previous professional experience, the ban well should be global, until the threat has eased or disappeared. Please trust me on this. I used to do intelligence assessments like this for a living.:eek: Even 10-years on, into retirement, I still keep up with what is going on and what the consequences might be. It might be slightly warped or "dark," but it remains a "hobby." As they say, once you are "in" you are never quite or "fully out.";)

If this global ban happens, only functioning, battery-charged mobile / smart phones will be permitted on board. You should go to your departure or connecting airport expecting that you might be asked to place a live call at security to prove the point. You might be asked to access the web using your data in a similar fashion.

For my coming Camino on 27 April, I plan to bring ONLY my iPhone 6S onboard. The Apple saddleback battery case will be in checked luggage. I will bring my charger and cable on board as the over water segments of my trip have AC power at the seat, even in economy. Do your research before hand.

For those of you who may not be following this ban, I will explain it very simply:

The various "bad actors" (criminals, terrorists, whatever) seeking to cause mass casualties and economic mayhem by downing commercial airliners have developed very dense, very powerful per gram, and very small explosives that CANNOT be easily detected by conventional means used at airport security. These explosives can be concealed in larger personal electronic devices like readers, tablets, and ultra-portable notebooks..

For example, if you have ever seen the inside of an iPad, the battery is split into two parts. Other tablet-sized computers and readers may have a similar construction. You can find these views on the web or You Tube.

One part of the "battery" COULD be the explosive material and the other battery section could be a real but arguably smaller capacity battery. The iPad (or other tablet) would operate normally, albeit with much reduced battery life, until things go BOOM! The size of the explosive matter is enough to puncture the pressurized passenger cabin and bring down an airliner flying at high altitude.

This is why they do not want these things on board. I agree with that assessment.

The bad guys can even turn on the device at security to "prove" it is a real device. Once it is onboard the aircraft, all bets are off.

The idea behind placing all such items inside checked luggage in the baggage hold is that most baggage holds are not pressurized, thus minimizing blast damage. The positive pressure in a passenger cabin enhances the blast effect by pushing outward, helping to rupture the fuselage. Also, the luggage and contents would attenuate, to some effect the blast pressure.

I know this sounds scary, sobering, and downright negative. But, the odds are still extremely, very, remote.

It will not stop me from flying. I depart Florida for Lisbon on 25 April to start from Lisbon to Sanitago via Porto and the Central route on 27 April.

See you out there!

I hope this helps.

I depart for Paris from the US next week. It is my understanding that the travel ban on electronics only applies to flights to or from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Tunisia. Is this still the case? I plan to take everything, including phone, ipad, and camera in my backpack as carry on. Any advise is appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you must take a tablet, I'd get the smallest one possible. If an iPad, I'd get the mini.

I decided to get the iPhone 6+ so that it could serve as my only device on the Camino. One reason was screen size. The other was that the battery lasts substantially longer than the smaller version. I stored over 1200 photos on my iPhone and had memory to spare. Sharing photos was easy from my iPhone. I scanned the Brierly guidebook and stored it on my iPhone. The Wise Pilgrim Camino Frances app was invaluable. Everything you described doing with a tablet can be done with a smartphone. Yes, I prefer a tablet for reading, but when I was shaving ounces here and there trying to get my pack down to 22 pounds, there was no way I had room for an iPad.

You might be surprised how little time you actually have to be on your devices. Once you arrive at the alburgue, the necessities of life as a pilgrim take up much of the free time you have. The other thing to remember is that a tablet is just one more valuable device to keep track of. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to forget or misplace things on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or, as I heard one Aussie pilgrim explode at his mate: "Why not just leave it all behind and go on a bloody walk!"

True, but I am old and my eyesight is not great:-(
Most e-readers have a way to control the text size and the same goes for lots of apps on the smartphones.
Cheers

Techie. I took an iPad mini and a bluetooth keyboard, as I had to remain in contact with work. This worked very well for me, and I did not notice the extra weight. I also had my iPhone and Apple watch. Perhaps the most important accoutrement was the 4 port European USB charger that I found on Amazon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...
I can see where this will help in the eternal search for an open alberque. These "pilgrims" will by-pass many towns and communities during their "walk" leaving many alberques available for...
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back