• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Online resources for accommodation on Via Gebennensis?

rgutena

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Via Gebennensis?
Hello All! I have tried for some time without success to find information online about accommodation along the Via Gebennensis. The 'Online Guide' offered by this website doesn't cover this route. Is the Yellow Guide still the only resource for this? That book seems to be available only in hard copies, is that correct?

Also, is it always necessary to bring your own sleeping bag (i.e. not only a sleeping sheet / bag liner) to stay in the gîtes on this route? Is it very uncommon for blankets to be provided?

And does anyone know how busy this route is in August? While it may be the high season, I assume places to stay are unlikely to get booked out on the relatively quiet Via Gebennensis, but please let me know if I am wrong.

Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@rgutena , I'm hoping to walk this route next year so have also been researching.

The Confraternity of Saint James website may be of interest as it lists some resources https://www.csj.org.uk/geneva-to-le-puy.

Guide wise, most just mention the Miami Miami Dodo, or the Yellow book, as I understand it you can just use last year's if you haven't got the current one. Here's the weblink to the latest update: <https://chemins-s.amis-st-jacques.org/wp-uploads/telechargements/qrcode/mise_a_jours/Mise_a_jour_ guide_jaune.pdf

I presume you've read this post from last year? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-from-geneva-in-2021.72618/post-1172877

PS: also found this but haven't read it yet.
https://fr1.fr.le-chemin-de-compostelle.ch/via-gebennensis-english/

Last edited:
Hello @rgutena

In 2020 I walked from Neydens at the French-Swiss border via Le Puy-en-Velay and Albi to near Agen. I followed the Voie de Genève (GR 65) as far as Le Puy-en-Velay then other trails.

In 2020 none of the pilgrim associations were offering pilgrim accommodation and many places advertised in the Yellow Guide were closed, it being the first year of the Covid pandemic (pre vacines). I and other pilgrims along the way did find places to stay though.

Afterwards I put together a resource and posted it here on the forum. There might be something useful in it for you. Here's the link (sign in to download):

If you scroll down to page 7 you will find a table listing the stages I walked, where I asked for help and the places I slept.

Happy planning!
-Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you very much to all those who have responded!

Peterexpatkiwi - I found the same information as you did and yes I was indeed looking for something similar to MiamMiam Dodo, which now publishes ebooks as well, but unfortunately they don't cover the Via Gebennensis. I don't really want to carry a physical book around. BTW, how could you start planning a year ahead without wanting to be there immediately?!😁

lovingkindness - Thank you for sharing your amazing document! I have now downloaded it and am looking forward to reading it.

Suzanne A - Great to hear that one could stay at a local's home on this route with homecooked meals included!

Thank you very much to all those who have responded!

Peterexpatkiwi - I found the same information as you did and yes I was indeed looking for something similar to MiamMiam Dodo, which now publishes ebooks as well, but unfortunately they don't cover the Via Gebennensis. I don't really want to carry a physical book around. BTW, how could you start planning a year ahead without wanting to be there immediately?!😁

lovingkindness - Thank you for sharing your amazing document! I have now downloaded it and am looking forward to reading it.

Suzanne A - Great to hear that one could stay at a local's home on this route with homecooked meals included!
You are welcome! It was a wonderful adventure....

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
BTW, how could you start planning a year ahead without wanting to be there immediately?!😁
I'd leave tomorrow if I could! Two minor issues:
1/my son is in his last year of school; he's very capable but I'm not yet prepared to (literally) walk away! Not for 4 months anyway.
2/ my broken ankle.

At the moment, planning is ALL I can do!😂😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks!
Incidentally, @rgutena , I presume you have read the highly entertaining thread from @sunflowerfunk ? The first part of Max's journey is on the VG. Unfortunately it's a little slim on accommodation options - unless you like benches... .

There's a brief ( by Max's standards) overview here:

Yes, I have been reading that report; it is pure gold!😆 The Yellow Guide seems available only in French and German. Fortunately I can read French!

First of all @rgutena when you get some info, please come back and share it!!!!

I am planning this walk in 3+ years time!!! A long way away but like @Peterexpatkiwi , I have a child in their last year of high school and another child finishing in 2 years time so I sit and wait and plan and research!!! My knowledge is limited though as I figured accom and infrastructure will be out of date by the time we walk.

I am a member of this facebook group Chemins de Compostelle en Rhône-Alpes - a small but very helpful group where you can find info around accommodation and more.

Have you seen 'Efren Gonzalez' walking the Geneva way. He too walked in August and mentioned the difficulties he had as many places were closed due to everyone being on vacation. Its an interesting watch and I believe he has done a lot of research around facilities along the way from atms, water, cafes and accommodation. I have not looked at what he has done but I am sure it would be helpful:

If you write a blog or even come back here to share your experiences I (and others) would love to hear about it!

Happy planning and happy walking :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I watched Efrèns videos too, as always loved his camera work. He's a bit thin on details in the videos but he does mention putting together something ( a downloadable resource ?), presumably available on his website. I assume at a small cost.

Frankly I'm leaning a little more towards @sunflowerfunk 's approach. Although perhaps not quite as extreme!

I'm tempted to take my tent, and use that when the communal gite d'etapes are not available. There's quite a number of good campsites along the way., and personally I rather enjoy wild camping occasionally. Well 'spiritually' anyway - my body is not as keen......

Gumba - Many thanks for letting me know about the FB group and Efrens' series. I had never heard of him before (I never thought of YouTube as a resource for my travel research), but have just started watching that series and am enjoying it so far. I agree that his camera work is fantastic! In terms of online information on accommodation options, the website I mentioned above (in #8) remains the most useful resource I have found so far, but I haven't been looking for all that long and there may be better information out there.

Peterexpatkiwi - I am envious of people who could 'wild camp'. But I am only able to carry < 5kg plus water and lunch on my back, which limits my accommodation options. I read sunflowerfunk's accounts with admiration while also quietly making a mental note on what NOT to do (ie just rock up without a booking)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back