• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Gebennensis, Geneva to Le Puy

Kam Wong

Time of past OR future Camino
First attempt Camino Frances (Sep to Nov 2017)
Hi All
I will walk from Geneva to St. Jean Pied de Port in late August. But I want to concentrate on the route from Geneva to Le Puy first. I have never walked in France; unfortunately, I do not speak French. I am seeking information about

• short-stage itineraries --- I prefer to walk up to 25 km per day if possible.
  • Various accommodations.
  • Drinking water and food availability along the route? I have heard that they may be hard to find in certain stages, especially some long ones, and on Sunday and Monday.
  • Particular things I should be aware of on the Path, e.g. dog
  • information resources
  • guide books and phone applications ( I have Gronze, Mapy. cz and Wisepilgrims loaded but need to learn how to use them properly)
I will browse the Forum, but I thought I'd ask first.
Many thanks for considering my request.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kam Wong , there’s a short, current thread underway on this here:

Thread 'Online resources for accommodation on Via Gebennensis?'
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-for-accommodation-on-via-gebennensis.86179/

There‘s not a heck of a lot of information on here about the VG unfortunately.
From other sources- reading, videos etc :

1/ water, yes there’s a few places where you either need to carry sufficient for most of , if not the whole day - or a water filter. (Plenty of lakes/ flowing water along the way). As mine is only 85g, that’s my plan!

2/ Food. As you say, Sunday/Monday can be a real issue. Ditto a few longer sections with nothing on the way - but that’s just lunch/snacks. You also have to allow for the interesting hours- sometimes shops, bakeries are only open until 12. Or take very long lunch breaks - until 17.00, for example. So carrying some food is pretty important, as I read it.

3/dogs - I’ve read zero comments about problems

It won’t help with staging suggestions, but for a general overview you could watch Efrén Gonzalos‘s YouTube series on this, he walked it last year. In August ! I’ll pm you the link.

If you’d care to share your itinerary/ info as you find it, it’d be appreciated!

By the way, Mapy.cz is easy to learn to use, the beauty of it is, you can use it at home. Remember to download the map’s you want, they remain really accurate even offline. (Within a few metres - careful if you have multiple options!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you stay in accommodation offering Demi-Pension (DP), which is evening meal, bed, breakfast. Then you may not want much more.
It’s enough for me, i do occasionally carry a snack, but not normally.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you stay in accommodation offering Demi-Pension (DP), which is evening meal, bed, breakfast. Then you may not want much more.
It’s enough for me, i do occasionally carry a snack, but not normally.
Good to know. Thanks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back