• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ostabat and Harambelz

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I am reading the pertinent passages from The Pilgrimage to Santiago by Edwin Mullins who did a walkabout in the area of Ostabat-Larceveau-Harambelz doing 40 odd kilometers in the '70's since the Chemin was not then adequately marked. He describes the hamlet of Harambelz, reminds the reader that this tiny village and those families living there bear the same names since the Codex Calixtinus and describes the Chapelle St-Nicolas. His description of the chapel is marvelous and the 15th century statue of Saint James found within is intriguing. Has anyone visited this village and its chapel? Is the key still to be found with Familia Etcheverry/Deitura Etcheverry? Thank you
S.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
scruffy1 said:
I am reading the pertinent passages from The Pilgrimage to Santiago by Edwin Mullins who did a walkabout in the area of Ostabat-Larceveau-Harambelz doing 40 odd kilometers in the '70's since the Chemin was not then adequately marked. He describes the hamlet of Harambelz, reminds the reader that this tiny village and those families living there bear the same names since the Codex Calixtinus and describes the Chapelle St-Nicolas. His description of the chapel is marvelous and the 15th century statue of Saint James found within is intriguing. Has anyone visited this village and its chapel? Is the key still to be found with Familia Etcheverry/Deitura Etcheverry? Thank you
S.

scruffy1,

This sounds like another wonderful place to visit on your next route through France! Have you read any of these articles about the area as cited in the national Patromoine-de-France list of historic monuments? See http://patrimoine-de-france.com/pyrenees-atlantiques/ostabat-asme/.

Here is a 2009 description by another pilgrim regarding the chapel from >>http://www.e-voyageur.com/carnet-vo...es-de-compostelle/saint-jean-pied-de-port.htm. "Par contre la chapelle de Harambelz réserve une heureuse surprise: datée du 11ème siècle elle est en pitoyable état, mais l’enthousiasme du préposé aux visites nous convainc. Propriété privée, cette église appartient aux descendants des donats qui soignaient les pèlerins en ces lieux. Un champ marque l’emplacement de l’ancien hôpital ; ne reste que la chapelle dont les peintures intérieures, même extrêmement dégradées, impressionnent.".

And this from summer 2012 in http://www.ibimus.com/fr/voyageur/marie-rose/itineraire/compostelle-3/ostabat_1575.html. Je me pose à la très belle chapelle de Harambelz qui est une chapelle privée qu'un bénévole fait visiter tous les jours entre 14h et 16h. Il me fait la visite pour moi seule bien qu'il ne soit que 13h 30. Tout l'intérieur est en bois peint. C'est magnifique!

Thus is seems that the chapel is still open and worth visiting!!

Good luck and Bon chemin,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret, Google Earth shows the hamlet, still only four houses and the church-living history!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back