• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our introduction

LaurieElizabeth

Time of past OR future Camino
Astorga 2017 & 2022
St. Jean PdP to Burgos (2018)
My soon to be 13 year old and I be walking the Camino Frances in Mid-June. She will be done with school on the 15th and I want to fly out the next day, but we live in New England and it's too early to figure out how many snow days she will use this winter. If we do use snow days her last day of school will be pushed back. Either way we will be leaving around the 15th or the following week. I have been researching and dreaming of this trip for 3 years. Hope to meet some of you in Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hope you both enjoy the experience. It is quite a trip and something to remember. Walking with family can be a blessing or a challenge or most likely both. My wife and our then 11-year old daughter walked the 1400km/874 mile journey from John O'Groats to Lands End in the UK together. Not something either of them has ever forgotten :)

Pax et bonum.

JOGLE.jpg

Last edited:
Hola LaurieElizabeth!
It's really exciting planning an experience such as the Camino Frances. To walk it with your daughter will quadruple the anticipation and delight!
I have used this website as a reliable resource for lots of information and support from fellow pilgrims over the years.
Some of the best advice I have been given is to wear your boots in before starting, pack light, walk at your own pace, particularly in the beginning, when you walk with fellow pilgrims - as you undoubtably will - you will find that the conversation will encourage you along and the kilometers will just melt away, also, keep your money and passport in a small body security bag (whenever I stopped I checked for my 3 most important things before starting-money,passport and phone).I found that when I used 2 walking poles rather than 1 it helped enormously.
I was advised against giving in to the temptation of simply clocking up the kilometers, rather than enjoying the simple pleasures of the sounds,sights and smells of the changing vistas as I went along and I found that great advice.
The friends you meet along the way, the memories and the joy of meeting small and huge challenges and succeeding will stay with you both forever.
I am returning in April, so will not be there to welcome you along, but there will be so many like-minded people forming a community of pilgrims, who will help you when times get tough.
I wish you both every possible success and happiness.
Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LaurieElizabeth...Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2017!
What an exciting opportunity for you and your daughter. As you can already tell...there are many Forum members that are willing and excited to help you plan your Camino. Please ask questions.
Here's my initial suggestion: If you put anything in your pack that you think...You MIGHT need. Don't take it!! The CF is not Sleepy Hollow...nor is it Broadway. It's often close enough to "civilization" to stop in a shop for everything from pain meds (I swear by Ibuprophen) to an ice cream. Use "travel size" everything (shampoo, toothpaste, etc). Consider stopping every 5th day or so and rather staying in an albergue...consider a hostel or pension. A little quiet and privacy goes a long way. I am sure there are several lady Forum members that can fill in the blanks on appropriate clothing, etc.

Buen Camino,

Arn

My soon to be 13 year old and I be walking the Camino Frances in Mid-June. She will be done with school on the 15th and I want to fly out the next day, but we live in New England and it's too early to figure out how many snow days she will use this winter. If we do use snow days her last day of school will be pushed back. Either way we will be leaving around the 15th or the following week. I have been researching and dreaming of this trip for 3 years. Hope to meet some of you in Spain.

This will be a wonderful experience for you both, I'm sure!

A few things that I've observed with younger teenagers is that they tend to really enjoy meeting people of all ages. I had one of the best days of my last journey hanging out with a couple of French teens, and we were so silly, singing and taking photos.

Their parents joined us later, and we sat in an albergue living room area and just relaxed. We talked when we felt like it, we were silent for comfortable periods of time. The kids played on their devices, and it was all very relaxed.

Buen Camino, and don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Deb

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.