• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack size

SaraC

Hi everyone,

I'm heading off to do my mini-Camino (starting in Sarria) in a few months, and I'm trying to decide how I want to organize my luggage. I'm heading south afterwards to see some other sights, so I'm pretty sure I'll be packing a larger rolling bag for that portion, and since I've booked through a tour company they can transfer that bag as part of the package. The tour also includes accommodation along the trail, so I won't have a need to pack a sleeping bag or sheets.

At this point, I think that all I want to bring on the trail is a small daypack with a small first-aid kit, room for water and some snacks, extra socks, a poncho, and some warmer clothes. I know that if I bring a large pack, I *will* bring too much stuff--I've done it before on numerous other occasions.

Does this seem naive? Will I look like an idiot with my tiny backpack starting in Sarria as the other pilgrims roll on through? (As you can see, I'm probably too concerned with how I'll be percieved... hopefully I can break that concern along the Camino!)

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sara!

I think you have the right idea. If you're just packing what you need for the day's walk a day pack (max 20l maybe?) will be fine.

You say you're walking in a few months so Sept/Oct? You may find yourself walking in a t-shirt if you're lucky with the weather, but enough space for a fleece and rain jacket/poncho should be available.

If you're worried about how you will be perceived by those who have walked further, make sure your boots are never clean, and have a thick layer of dust on them at all times. In fact, just make sure you are never clean and have a thick layer of dust on you at all times. :D Only joking. Try to mix with people away from the tour group, though. They might have a little joke at your expense but meeting people is half the fun.

Buen Camino!

Thank you, tyrrek! I'll be sure to step in every mud puddle I see as I attempt to train for the long walking days! :wink:

I will definitely be trying to make new friends along my short stretch of the Camino, and I'm looking forward to meeting new people! I'll be there in October, and I'm hoping it won't rain *every* day, although apparently it's really wet at that point in the year. :?

Buen Camino to you as well!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Many a true word is spoken/posted in jest.
On another walking forum: Scottish Highlands etc, a poster did the West Highland Way - 152kms - carrying, get this, 30 kilos. He needed 2 people to actually lift his pack onto his back at the start of each day......can you believe it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can believe the weight, although I can't believe people were willing to indulge him every morning by lifting it onto his back! :D

My pack has always been 'normal' size and weight, and it was my friend rather than my enemy if you understand me. I never thought, 'Oh no, I've got to carry that $%^&* for the next 10kms' or whatever. It just became part of me and my Camino. I almost felt lost without it. (Berghaus 35+8, by the way, but I don't work for Berghaus or have any benefit from promoting it!) :D

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back