• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list and more

WanderingNotLost

Director of Mirth & Merriment for the Cosmos
Time of past OR future Camino
Lost count. I'm addicted.
Hello fellow Pilgrims,
I've been lurking for a little while, gathering information, as I began planning my first Camino mid-May through late June 2012. A big thank you to everyone who is a part of this forum. So much of the information shared by so many experienced Pilgrims has been invaluable.
I'm still 3 months out from my 3/16/12 flight from the U.S. to Madrid. From there it will be a bus or train ride to Pamplona, bus to Roncesvalles, and finally bus or taxi to my starting point in SJPP. From there I will begin my Pilgrimage to Santiago and hopefully beyond to Finisterre. The excitement and anticipation is beyond belief.

As there seem to be many questions and even more answers regarding travel planning and packing, I thought I'd share my thoughts.

As far as travel planning, I'm going to experience everything in a relaxed manner. Other than the air travel, I have no set reservations. I figure part of the adventure is letting it come to me and figuring it out as it happens. I've factored 37 days on the Camino with a day or two at either end for ground transfers. I'll be channelling my inner Forrest Gump and resting when I'm tired, eating when I'm hungry, and drinking when I'm thirsty.

As far as packing, my gear last weighed in at less than 17lbs, including water and a days food (lunch & snacks). This equates to me carrying approx. 10% of my body weight. Easily manageable and everything fits into my 2700 cubic inch pack with room to spare. The goal was to be able to fit in airplane carry-on and I believe I’ve accomplished this goal. My gear list breaks down as follows:

Gear:
•Brierley Guidebook
•Osprey Talon 44 Pack (44 liters / 2700 Cubic In. capacity & only 2lbs 10oz)
•Backpack rain cover
•2 liter platypus with drinking tube
•Sea-to-Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Mummy Liner (no sleeping bag. Can sleep in clothes if cold)
•Inflatable Pillow (a person shouldn't sacrifice all creature comforts)
•Quick-dry Towel
•Head lamp w/ 2 sets of extra AAA batteries
•Small Plastic bowl, cup, & spork
•Clothes line & clothes pins
•2 small rolls of “On the Go” biodegradable Bathroom Tissue
•Backpack trowel (so I can bury it if I have to “go”, “on the go”
•4 fl oz Camp Soap
•Travel Size Deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, Q-tips, & antacid
•Travel size sun block
•Travel size bug spray
•Small roll of Ducktape
•Eye glass repair kit
•Small sewing kit
•Pillow repair kit
•Small cheap digital Camera that uses disposable batteries
•GSM Cell phone w/ Telestial SIM card and international charger (for emergency only)
•Small Journal & pens
•Water-proof wallet
•Around the neck safety pouch for $$, bank cards, and important docs
•Copy of all important travel docs in zip-loc bag to be secured inside zipped pocket of backpack
•Heavy-duty plastic sheeting cut large enough to be used as ground cover, bedbug barrier, and outdoor shelter from the elements if necessary. This is rolled and attached to outside bottom of pack
•Will acquire utility knife in SJPP

Clothes / Wearing
•pair of quick-dry convertible pants
•pair silk underwear
•quick dry long sleeve shirt
•quick dry T-shirt
•pair smart wool socks
•pair Vasque Hiking Boots (well used)
•Columbia Omni-shade wide brimmed hat
•Eye glasses w/ transition lenses

Spare Clothes:
(1) Rain Gear (hooded jacket & pants)
(1) pair of quick-dry convertible pants
(1) pair silk underwear
(1)quick dry long sleeve shirt
(1)quick dry T-shirt
(1)pair smart wool socks
(1)long sleeve under-armor shirt
(1)fleece jacket
(1)knit hat
(1)pair of light gloves
(1) pair of Crocs

First Aid Kit (1 person / 2 day)
•Assorted Size Band Aids
•Assorted Size Gauze Pads
•Small Roll of Gauze Bandage
•Mole Skin
•New Skin / liquid bandage
•Ace Bandage w/clips
•Athletic Tape
•Alcohol Cleansing Pads
•Antiseptic Wipes
•Antibiotic Ointment
•Benzointincture Swabstick
•After Bite
•Ibuprofen / Aspirin
•Diphen / Antihistamine
•Clothes Pins
•Tweezers

As for why I'm so driven to have this experience, I'm still figuring that out. Is it because I'm about to turn 50? Has it something to do with the challenge? Is it because I want to un-hook from technology for a while? Is it because I enjoy experiencing the awe inspiring beauty of our natural world? Is it spiritual? Is it to see new places and meet new people? I believe it is for all these reasons, and probably a few more the Camino will open my eyes too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Dozer and welcome here! This forum is a great place to find good information. I love your list, seems well thought of.
Enjoy your preparations and till later!
S.

dozer said:
As for why I'm so driven to have this experience, I'm still figuring that out. Is it because I'm about to turn 50? Has it something to do with the challenge?.
Hi Dozer,
One never knows what to find as experiences on "the Way". A sure thing is, that when you arrive in Santiago, you are a different person from the one who started in SJPP. It's a unique experience!
Your detailed packing list is impressive: you have gone into all details. Note however, that as you pass through many towns and villages, you can purchase several of the small items which you plan to carry but may rarely need. You will also often find that albergues have a stock of such items which pilgrims left behind (either to loose weight or plainly forgot).
We may cross paths! I'll be on the path between mid May and end of June.
Enjoy your "pilgrimage" and stay well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back