• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamela and John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From some experience walking with a family member, two Americans who are not a great walkers, I would say no, you will not likely do the entire Camino in 35 days.

But since all Europeans seem to be at least good walkers, and there are 32-33 daily stages, I think that is reasonable if someone does not get injured. There are buses/trains available to stay together if one of you need an injury break, or if you are falling behind on your available time. A lot of pilgrims skip part, or even all, of the Burgos to Leon section if short on time, or injured -- which I like, since the smaller crowds make the meseta even more enjoyable!

If you are running short of time, I suggest skipping Sahagun to Leon (to save 2 days) and/or Leon to Astorga (to save 2-3 days). Or better yet, give yourself some additional time if possible, since you may want a few extra days to explore the bigger cities (Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago), to visit Finisterre/Muxia, or just to party with your new Camino Amigos at the end!

Buen Camino!

I suggest six weeks (42 days), including:

1. Spend the first night at Refuge Orisson. Book well in advance. Consult the Search function for more information.

2. Allow at least one rest day each, at Burgos, Leon and Astoria.

3. Build in two or three days at Santiago when you finish. Trust me, you will regret rushing through the experience. Savor it.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would agree with t2@andreo. Take an extra week at least if you can. Listen to your bodies and stop, eat and rest during each day when your body tells you to. Stop and rest for a full day when it tells you that too. You are walking together but you are still walking your own caminos. If your rhythms are different respect that and walk as much as you can at your own paces even if that means you may not be walking together all the time.

I suggest six weeks (42 days), including:

1. Spend the first night at Refuge Orisson. Book well in advance. Consult the Search function for more information.

2. Allow at least one rest day each, at Burgos, Leon and Astoria.

3. Build in two or three days at Santiago when you finish. Trust me, you will regret rushing through the experience. Savor it.

Hope this helps.
I completely agree with you, t2andreo. I was 45 days on the Camino. I paused often to listen for the cuckoo; I leaned over bridge railings to watch trout casually swimming in place above gravel streambeds; I took off my pack, and used it as a headrest to gaze up at the starched blue sky and the white clouds of imaginary animals. In Santiago I stayed 5 days savoring the entire experience. Sigh...

You just punctuated my point. Allowing more time allows you to savor the journey.

Many of us have learned over the years that “the journey IS the destination...”

Conversely, cutting it too close can turn you into a tourist.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We did the Francès in 39 days including 1 restday in 2014 !

Jane and I will be starting on the sept. 13 as well. Our last camino in april of 2017 took us 39 days. we are planning to be in Santiago by Oct 25 this time. Better to take the occassional taxi rether than making it a race.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for your replies. We have given ourselves 6 weeks, but do fancy visiting Fisestere, as people say it is worth it.
Jane and I will be starting on the sept. 13 as well. Our last camino in april of 2017 took us 39 days. we are planning to be in Santiago by Oct 25 this time. Better to take the occassional taxi rether than making it a race.
Buen Camino
Maybe we will see you, Jane and Jim. we start on 11th Sept

From some experience walking with a family member, two Americans who are not a great walkers, I would say no, you will not likely do the entire Camino in 35 days.

But since all Europeans seem to be at least good walkers, and there are 32-33 daily stages, I think that is reasonable if someone does not get injured. There are buses/trains available to stay together if one of you need an injury break, or if you are falling behind on your available time. A lot of pilgrims skip part, or even all, of the Burgos to Leon section if short on time, or injured -- which I like, since the smaller crowds make the meseta even more enjoyable!

If you are running short of time, I suggest skipping Sahagun to Leon (to save 2 days) and/or Leon to Astorga (to save 2-3 days). Or better yet, give yourself some additional time if possible, since you may want a few extra days to explore the bigger cities (Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago), to visit Finisterre/Muxia, or just to party with your new Camino Amigos at the end!

Buen Camino!
Thank you. This is really useful advice

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. My husband and I are planning to do the whole Camino from St Jean. We aren't great walkers. Do you think we will manage it in 5 weeks. We are starting on 11th September
In 2015 I did my first Camino VF from SJPDP in 29 days, I’m 74. Go for it.

Hi. My husband and I are planning to do the whole Camino from St Jean. We aren't great walkers. Do you think we will manage it in 5 weeks. We are starting on 11th September
I am starting on Sept 18 from St Jean and meeting my wife in Leon on Oct 16. Plan on walking together to Santiago and finish @ Nov 6,7, 8 or around that time. Starting on my 77th Birthday

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A 6 week/42 days allowance will keep it from becoming a race. That is about 18km per day. Allowing one hour per 3km, that is a doable 6 hour average walking day. Guidebooks give it about 33 days which IMO is a bit too fast for the nearly 800km.
And if you get too tired, or injured, or bored--you can take a bus or taxi to make up time.
And no need to plan Fisterra now, you can decide in Santiago based on your time and how you feel--then either walk the added 4 days, or take a bus and be a touragrino.
Rest assured that you have planned sufficient time for a truly great experience.

I think of walking theCamino as slow tourism. Just like the slow food movement, the process of slowing down to appreciate every moment good or bad is wonderfully refreshing

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think of walking theCamino as slow tourism. Just like the slow food movement, the process of slowing down to appreciate every moment good or bad is wonderfully refreshing
I think of it as touring a country using walking as my mode of transportation. It's so great to see a country on foot.

You might want to consider starting in Pamplona. That would give you a few extra days and if you are not great walkers the walk from St Jean is pretty difficult.

I am not a fan of SJPdP to Roncesvalles it is about a 1200 meter climb to Lepoeder then a 400 meter drop to Roncesvalles over 27km. You can break it in two and I certainly would if you are not great walkers. Old Sierra Club estimates for group hikes were to allow 1 hour for each 2 miles and another for each 1000 feet elevation change. It is (very) conservative but calculated out, the time cost of SJPdP to Roncesvalles it is 8 distance plus 6 hours elevation changes. And for me, doing that after a 9 hour timezone change, even with a night in SJPdP is too strong a start and risks the rest of the walk. The Orisson social/camino family experience is available all along the Camino. I would start in Pamplona, or travel to Pamplona then taxi/bus back to Roncesvalles. Roncesvalles to Pamplona is still a 500 meter drop. All of the Camino is lovely and there is no need to start where the guidebooks start.
My old age motto "Start slow then taper off"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.