• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to SJPP in February

MindaugasB

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting French route on 18th February 2016
Hi, I am starting French route on 18th of February (hope so :) ). I arrive Barcelona-Pamplona-SJPP.
But SURPRISE!!! :) Buses Pamplona-SJPP does not work until 1st of March.
Any ideas how to get to SJPP?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Instead of Pamplona, you could try going via San Sebastian which has regular buses all year round to Bayonne which are operated by the Alsa and Pesa bus companies. Then you can take the train to SJPP.

Your other option if you have to go via Pamplona is of course a taxi, and you can try and find others to share the cost.

Hi, I am starting French route on 18th of February (hope so :) ). I arrive Barcelona-Pamplona-SJPP.

SNCF operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse, Toulouse to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPdP.

Renfe operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF operates trains from Hendaye to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPdP.

San Sebastian Airport lies 3 km from Irun Renfe station ... with flights to Barcelona.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Instead of Pamplona, you could try going via San Sebastian which has regular buses all year round to Bayonne which are operated by the Alsa and Pesa bus companies. Then you can take the train to SJPP.

Your other option if you have to go via Pamplona is of course a taxi, and you can try and find others to share the cost.
Thanx

SNCF operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse, Toulouse to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPdP.

Renfe operates trains from Barcelona Sants to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF operates trains from Hendaye to Bayonne, and Bayonne to SJPdP.

San Sebastian Airport lies 3 km from Irun Renfe station ... with flights to Barcelona.
Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Taxi

You might walk out of Pamplona towards Roncesvalles following the Camino Frances in reverse. Or you might follow the paved bi ycle/walking route from the Puente de La Magdalena near the cathedral to where it meets the N135 highway near Zabaldica At any junction with the highway N135 which goes up to Roncesvalles try hitching. As long as the weather is good some vehicles will be going up.

Last edited:
Perhaps wait until you get to Pamplona before deciding where to start? If the weather is bad (and February is winter, expect snow) you won't see anything and may be better to start in Roncesvales, or even Pamplona. If you do decide on SJPDP you will go via Valcarlos as the Route Napoleon is closed until 1 April.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kanga is giving very good advice.

You can contact Caminofacil to ask about a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP.
If there are other pilgrims going, you can share with them.

Here is a link: http://www.taxipamplona.com/comparte_en.php#a

Prices
Monday/Friday 06:00 a 22:00
spacer.gif

PAMPLONA-RONCESVALLES €60

AEROPUERTO-RONCESVALLES €63
PAMPLONA-S JEAN DE PIED DE PORT €100
AEROPUERTO-S JEAN DE PIED DE PORT €105
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

There is also some new private taxi service with a funny name.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Annie,
Might you mean Corazon Puro which includes a transport service from Pamplona to Roncesvalles/SJPdP with their lodging facilities? However they are not open in winter as requested by the OP. See http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Annie,
Might you mean Corazon Puro which includes a transport service from Pamplona to Roncesvalles/SJPdP with their lodging facilities? However they are not open in winter as requested by the OP. See http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Margaret Meredith

No. There was some new private taxi service name floating around on the APOC facebook page a few weeks back, but I'm no longer on Facebook

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kanga is giving very good advice.

You can contact Caminofacil to ask about a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP.
If there are other pilgrims going, you can share with them.

Here is a link: http://www.taxipamplona.com/comparte_en.php#a

Prices
Monday/Friday 06:00 a 22:00
spacer.gif

PAMPLONA-RONCESVALLES €60

AEROPUERTO-RONCESVALLES €63
PAMPLONA-S JEAN DE PIED DE PORT €100
AEROPUERTO-S JEAN DE PIED DE PORT €105
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Great! Thank you, camino veterans, for so many options. For sure I'll find which fits for me best.

Less than 3 weeks left....:)

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back