• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPDP - Train Delays due to Strikes and Protests?

erskinet

Time of past OR future Camino
April 29, 2023
We are traveling on April 27 from Paris to Bordeaux and April 28 from Bordeaux to SJPDP. Has anyone been experiencing and train service disruptions due to the rotating strikes and protests? Thanks in advance for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The short answer is YES, there have been significant disruptions to the TGV service for the past several months. Whether you will be affected by this is anyone's guess at this point. Pay attention to the SNCF website starting a week before you go. In most cases, the cancellations are "scheduled" by the strikers, and you will have at least a little warning. On most strike days, they have not cancelled all of the trains, just some of them. In a worst case scenario, you may have to reschedule your travel to another day, or book a flight to Biarritz instead of using the train. In the best case scenario, your travel is unaffected. You will not know until just before you go.

Not to worry. You will make it to SJPP. It just might be a little bit complicated if you find your train cancelled have to find another train at another time, or find an alternate way to get down south. Once you get to Paris, walk into the SNCF office at the airport, and they will reschedule you if it becomes necessary. The good news is that you seem to have a little sway space in your plan - well done! With luck, it will all go according to plan. Without luck, you have an unplanned night in Paris, and take the train straight to SJPP the next day.

The short answer is YES, there have been significant disruptions to the TGV service for the past several months. Whether you will be affected by this is anyone's guess at this point. Pay attention to the SNCF website starting a week before you go. In most cases, the cancellations are "scheduled" by the strikers, and you will have at least a little warning. On most strike days, they have not cancelled all of the trains, just some of them. In a worst case scenario, you may have to reschedule your travel to another day, or book a flight to Biarritz instead of using the train. In the best case scenario, your travel is unaffected. You will not know until just before you go.

Not to worry. You will make it to SJPP. It just might be a little bit complicated if you find your train cancelled have to find another train at another time, or find an alternate way to get down south. Once you get to Paris, walk into the SNCF office at the airport, and they will reschedule you if it becomes necessary. The good news is that you seem to have a little sway space in your plan - well done! With luck, it will all go according to plan. Without luck, you have an unplanned night in Paris, and take the train straight to SJPP the next day.
I have been using SNCF quite a lot this week and generally echo above. Thursday was a big strike day and plenty still ran!

I did find the SNCF website quite quite tricky and misleading in a few ways that I will illustrate below.

1- So Thursday was a big strike day. I was planning to catch a train Nice to Barcelona. 3 sectors. 1) Nice to Marseille, 2 Marseille to Nimes 3) Nimes to Barcelona. Going into SNCF website night before it told me my train was cancelled. A few hours later I double checked by individual sector and sector 1 was still operating and whilst sectors 2 had been cancelled, a very small reroute meant getting to BCN was doable! So if you have a multi sector journey, check each sector and piece your own itinerary together!
2-Many trains ran but not their full route. So if a train was planned to start at A and end at Z it may have run from F to T. SNCF website didn’t really effectively reflect this on its site however this page, where you just need to put your train number in was very helpful!

The trains that did run, and that was the overwhelmingly majority, were excellent in both quality (I only used TER and not TGV) and punctuality with the exception of getting stuck in a tunnel for over an hour!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last week I had a planned overnight in Bordeaux en route from CDG, which turned out to be a mistake because there was vandalism on the tracks between Bordeaux and Bayonne shutting everything down completely. Mistake #2 was relying on SNCF original estimate of noon uptime and rebooking in afternoon - which was also canceled. At that point I had missed out on the possibility of booking a bus or rideshare - all sold out in the rush of stuck people. (Flixbus and BlaBlacar). Another couple of pilgrims and I essentially bribed our way (cash is king!) onto a bus which was sold out online but had a few seats from no shows. When we got to Bayonne we had missed the last train and we were going to share a taxi but SNCF was picking up the taxi tab for about 2 dozen pilgrims who had missed the connection as well. This was all the day before a planned strike which as mentioned above tends to have more workarounds. My lesson learned was in these circumstances just get to the final destination using the earliest means available.

We are traveling on April 27 from Paris to Bordeaux and April 28 from Bordeaux to SJPDP. Has anyone been experiencing and train service disruptions due to the rotating strikes and protests? Thanks in advance for your help.
A good Camino buddy arrived in Saint Jean today from Paris. Never mentioned any problems and from his photos, all looked good. Buen Camino

Any word on air strikes ? Like air traffic controllers or Air France? I fly via Paris the 28/29th then on to Biarritz. Train was my backup plan. I cannot read French but this website suggests a single airline Veuling strikes on April 28, 29, 30, and May 1st. I cannot find whether Air France will join.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Monday, 01 May is planned to be a very big strike day but as yet I think detail is unknown. There is a general ‘try not to travel on or around that date’ from the UK Foreign Office, but nothing more that I can see. Strikes that affect air travel always impact the day before and day after the strike. If you leave USA on 28th I would be reasonably hopeful you would be ok but if is a fast unstable situation!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if the strike occurs the day I am supposed to arrive in France from USA? Do most airlines in USA cancel and try to find another flight for you?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back