• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to St Jean

BillyB

Time of past OR future Camino
april 2016
Can someone give me advice on how to get from CDG to St jean. Arriving in paris at 9:15 am april 11th.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go to the Tour St Jacques in Paris, a far more traditional starting place than SJPP. Look for the coquilles marking the trail. Start walking. :)

(at least that would be my favorite way, hopefully others will have some suggestions. We found a one way car rental can be close to the train/bus fare for two or more people.)

You can (1) take SNCF high speed TGV trains direct from Paris/CDG via Bordeaux to Bayonne. (2) You can also take TGV trains from downtown Paris at the Gare Montparnasse direct to Bayonne. (3) You can also take a night train from Paris-Austerlitz to Bayonne
For (1) (2) and (3) you change to a local TER train at Bayonne for SJPdP. For all possibilities see the French web www.Voyages-SNCF.com. Do be aware that official timetables/horaires are generally available 3 months in advance.

Good luck and Bon voyage!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or you can fly to Biarritz and take either train or shared taxi (Express Bourricot) to SJPP. Just know if the flight you're booking leaves from CDG and or from Orly--for the latter (most flights), make sure you have plenty of time.
There are many threads here that address the details.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Billy, I arrive in Paris on the 12th April and have booked a flight to Biarritz with Easyjet for 50 Euros. The flight leaves CDG at 10.50am, that might work for you. It arrives 12.15 which should allow time for a train connection, otherwise I am planning on doing the taxi share, mentioned above, with Express Bourricot. They are not taking bookings for this until January though. This should allow for an afternoon arrival in SJPP. I'm going to have a day there and start walking on the 14th. Might see you along the way :)

Hi Billy, I arrive in Paris on the 12th April and have booked a flight to Biarritz with Easyjet for 50 Euros. The flight leaves CDG at 10.50am, that might work for you. It arrives 12.15 which should allow time for a train connection, otherwise I am planning on doing the taxi share, mentioned above, with Express Bourricot. They are not taking bookings for this until January though. This should allow for an afternoon arrival in SJPP. I'm going to have a day there and start walking on the 14th. Might see you along the way :)
Hi CathyJ, Hope you have a great trip. Please beware the jet lag blues. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, as a fellow Aussie you are obviously aware of that awfully long time we have to spend stuck in an airline seat! I have allowed my arrival afternoon/night and another whole day before hitting the road, hopefully that should be enough

Thanks, as a fellow Aussie you are obviously aware of that awfully long time we have to spend stuck in an airline seat! I have allowed my arrival afternoon/night and another whole day before hitting the road, hopefully that should be enough
Yes, it's a loooong way! I can only speak from my personal experience having been round the planet a few times. This year I spent a week in Paris before heading to St Jean and found I was a bit "disoriented" for the first few days. That wasn't a problem trudging around the streets of Paris. Just need to pay close attention to way markers on the CF for the first couple of days, especially if you are going via Route de Napoleon. You need to have your wits about you up there. Bon chance.

Hi Cathy,
Billy will be up against it on changing flights in the 1 hour 15 minutes .
He could try the blue line to Orly direct from CDG and get a later flight.
And i think you should have a good look at the train to STJPP , its relaxing , its full of people you will see for the next month and it has beautiful views.
Its part of the journey.
If you stop @ Orrisson one night in St J is enough.
The next day walk the extra 3 km and stay in a good hotel in Burgette for the catch up in sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Thornley, I know it would be a tight connection, he actually has 1 hour 35 mins but yes, it could still be tricky. Fortunately my flight gets into Paris at 7.45am which is a lot more comfortable. I will look into the train once the timetable is available, it's still an option. I am in the process of trying to book at Orrisson but the communication is slow. I have been torn between stopping and walking through but thought I would book anyway, if I want to keep going I'm sure someone will happy to take the bed. Thanks for your advice :)

Hi Thornley, I know it would be a tight connection, he actually has 1 hour 35 mins but yes, it could still be tricky. Fortunately my flight gets into Paris at 7.45am which is a lot more comfortable. I will look into the train once the timetable is available, it's still an option. I am in the process of trying to book at Orrisson but the communication is slow. I have been torn between stopping and walking through but thought I would book anyway, if I want to keep going I'm sure someone will happy to take the bed. Thanks for your advice :)

Book mate if you are walking in early April , it could be dicey

It is my understanding that Orrisson is closed until April 1, 2016. Somebody correct me if I am mistaken.
Ultreya

Fred

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is my understanding that Orrisson is closed until April 1, 2016. Somebody correct me if I am mistaken.
Ultreya

Fred
I have requested (by email) a place for April 14 and did get a reply saying they would require a paypal payment but no instructions on how/who to pay. I have asked for instructions and am waiting for a further reply

I have requested (by email) a place for April 14 and did get a reply saying they would require a paypal payment but no instructions on how/who to pay. I have asked for instructions and am waiting for a further reply

You'll receive an invoice by email with instructions on who to pay and various payment options ie PayPal, card. I sent my email 20 December last year and got a response 30 December sounding much the same as you have described. I then sent off another email 1 January requesting an invoice which was sent out the next day. Great service over the Christmas period.

Suggest that you email and request an invoice from Jean-Jacques.

Buen Camino - we had a fabulous evening at Orisson.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back