• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nicknaming the People You Walk With

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles fr. Ferrol 8/2024
My kid and I had a good time giving nicknames to the people we walked with but did not really talk to, the ones you pass and then they pass you and then the next day you see each other again. Here are a few of our favorites:

Mr. Fancypants, who wore very bright cotton drawstring pants that he probably picked up from a street stall in Thailand

The Dog Walkers, a middle age couple walking with two beautiful dogs, heeled perfectly to their sides

The Breakup Couple, because she so did not want to be walking the Camino and he so didn’t care that she didn’t; I would bet their relationship did not last past their Camino

The Facetimers, a father and teen daughter, one of whom was always loudly FaceTiming someone while they were walking

The Foursome, one man and three women all of very different ages and physical shape; we could not figure out a connection between them at all

How about you all? Have you nicknamed people on the Way?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My kid and I had a good time giving nicknames to the people we walked with but did not really talk to, the ones you pass and then they pass you and then the next day you see each other again. Here are a few of our favorites:

Mr. Fancypants, who wore very bright cotton drawstring pants that he probably picked up from a street stall in Thailand

The Dog Walkers, a middle age couple walking with two beautiful dogs, heeled perfectly to their sides

The Breakup Couple, because she so did not want to be walking the Camino and he so didn’t care that she didn’t; I would bet their relationship did not last past their Camino

The Facetimers, a father and teen daughter, one of whom was always loudly FaceTiming someone while they were walking

The Foursome, one man and three women all of very different ages and physical shape; we could not figure out a connection between them at all

‘El hombre que huele a cabra’ was a regular feature of my first Camino. His ‘luggage’ was a supermarket carrier-bag which certainly contained no soap. Approached from upwind he was OK.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There was an older woman (mid-60s) on the Primitivo in mid to late September that we all knew as "the French lady." So named because she held one- sided conversations with all of us, exclusively in French, regardless of whatever language we addressed her in. Rumor was that she was actually Swiss...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
“The Woman Who Thinks She Can Sing But Could Not Carry a Tune in a Bucket.”

“The Guy Who Thinks Every Woman Walking the Camino is Dying to Hook Up With Him.”

Ha. Was the guy a frenchman retired from the military? Then I met him 😄.
And tried to get as far away from him as possible!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here are a few from my husband's 2022 Camino Frances. I eventually learned most of their names...but this is how I first heard of them back home (and to some extent still think of them)! What a fun question. Happy New Year and Buen Camino to all, whatever we might have been known as on the Way ;)

“The Italian peregrina who loves cats”
“The couple that loves Korean food”
“The husband and wife who own a pizza place and share cookies”
“The group of snarky young American men”
“The super-athletic Spanish philosopher”

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I met one of our members in the Burgos albergue in 2013; we exchanged forum names. Later, when we met up again further along the way, I couldn’t recall his forum name and called him the closest thing that came to mind. For the rest of the way my companions and I called him Scallywag. The dear soul has since passed on.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hmmmm...when chatting with my friends back home or posting pictures of my day I referred to: "My" Americans. The "other" Americans. Le Puy - for the first person I met that was walking from Le Puy, the others I met after did not get a designation. The Swiss gent. Adonis - a very beautiful Italian man. The Sermon - this was a couple that played, at a very low volume, a recording of a mass while they walked. The Praying Mantis - for one gent who flailed his trekking poles out in front of him as he walked.

I was probably known as "She Who Talks A Lot", or something along those lines. :D

Winter camino 2014 at San Nicolas del Flüe albergue a young German woman and I met a young man from Mississippi.

I called him that from then on.

Mississippi and young German woman married in 2015.

Their little girl is now about three or four.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
OmGosh, it seems everyone does this! We had so many...primarily based on their obvious behaviour or appearance...most of them ended in 'man/guy' or 'girl' or 'lady'. Coughing Man (he had a terrible cough you could hear a mile away), Dreadie Girl - she had 'dreads', and German Guy - that's obvious, Rude Lady - we always said Buen Camino to her, but were ignored except for one time when she needed directions and then she spoke to us... several others that probably should remain between my friend and I!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HA! At our Pilgrim dinner in Roncevalles everyone at the table gave each other nicknames based upon what the individual's name meant in their language. And they stuck!!!
Shout out to Love, Beautiful Peach Blossom, Prudence, Pledge, Messenger (of God), Pure, Pearl, and Moon.
Happy New Year mi amigas!

You know what's a little weird? Expecting pilgrims on the Camino to call you by your trail name from the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail. Those names are generally specific to those trails and are bestowed upon people by their fellow hikers. You can't choose your own trail name. I met one guy this year who told me that "people call him xyz" ( I'm not going to say the real trail name here). When he told me that he was from Pennsylvania I asked him if that was his Appalachian Trail name, and he said yes. I later met some other pilgrims who thought that it was a little off-putting to be using a trail name from the US when you are on the Camino.

I also walked for several days with a young woman who had hiked most of the Appalachian Trail, and she didn't ask to be called by her trail name.

My nickname awhile back was just "California". But more like shouting "California!!" when ppl saw me walking. When asked where I'm from, I now just tell people my birthplace, because then I don't have to deal with the "but where in the US?". Gets right to the point.

Also it just sounds sunny ☀️🌊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yep, we had Tweedledum and Tweedledee - twins, I dream of Jeannie - a pilgrim walking in harem pants, The Casanova’s - a group of middle aged, loud Italians…and Dora the Explorer. ☺️

Woody has been my nickname since i was about 8 years old and that's what most people call me; and called me on Camino!

The names below sound kinda cool!

I was referred to as "Nebraska".

My nickname awhile back was just "California"

However on meeting a couple during chat we said where we were from:
When they saw/passed me the guy called me Westgate on Sea not quite the same ring to it as those above:)

On my first Camino, a guy came up to me to ask how my knee was and I was stumped. After a little while it twigged and I said, no, that’s the other Asian.

I met up with my fellow other Asian sister and and had a good laugh. To be fair we were both of similar height, wore glasses and plaited our hair off to the side BUT she was American and I’m a Brit!

I’m now good friends with The Other Asian 🥰

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hmmm. There's some stuff going on in this thread that's reminding me of depressing experiences with cliques at school.
My message to folk reading this who are planning their first camino is - don't worry - this kind of thing is just a small current within the wide river of the camino.
There is plenty of room for you to be yourself and do your own thing and be accepted (or ignored if you so wish) on your own terms.
However, it's really helpful to try and remember people's actual names that they exchange with you, when you meet them for the first or second time. This is particularly valuable if you're purely an English speaker - we get accused enough of expecting others to communicate with us in our language. And one small way we can show we are not just entitled superannuated colonialists is to remember (and use) the names of the people we meet along the Way.

Last edited:
Cliques? I started the thread and certainly had nothing of that sort in mind.

The Camino is full of different types of people (but cf the diversity thread and above, re Asian pilgrims) and it was often with affection and camaraderie that I would catch up with the Dog Walkers and pet the pups for a bit, or exchange “Buen Camino” with the Foursome as we passed each other variously throughout the day. That I did not exchange names with each and every person on the walk really had nothing to do with being a “superannuated colonist” (although I’m not even sure I understand what that means in this context).

Last edited:
Those names are generally specific to those trails and are bestowed upon people by their fellow hikers.
This is true for those who walk any of the Triple Crown. It is a 'rite of passage' so to speak on their first night out, usually sitting around the fire together; all strangers. The trail names are not made without their knowledge.
Woody has been my nickname since i was about 8 years old and that's what most people call me; and called me on Camino!
I thought Woody was your dog's name!
The German lady is now known as Mrs. Ippi.
Very clever, but she is now called Frau Ippi.

Last edited:
Hmmm. There's some stuff going on in this thread that's reminding me of depressing experiences with cliques at school.
My message to folk reading this who are planning their first camino is - don't worry - this kind of thing is just a small current within the wide river of the camino.
There is plenty of room for you to be yourself and do your own thing and be accepted (or ignored if you so wish) on your own terms.
However, it's really helpful to try and remember people's actual names that they exchange with you, when you meet them for the first or second time. This is particularly valuable if you're purely an English speaker - we get accused enough of expecting others to communicate with us in our language. And one small way we can show we are not just entitled superannuated colonialists is to remember (and use) the names of the people we meet along the Way.
I think that @ShoshTrvls is talking about people who you often see on the trail, but never actually meet and exchange names with.

While I appreciate and respect this thread, I have a contrarian view.

At the risk of being judgemental, I avoid characterizing people I encounter on my Caminos, or while volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. My reason is simple. I try to accept people at face value. If they are eccentric, I chuckle inwardly, and store the thought away. We all have our individual peculiarities that other might find amusing. While I respect others opinions, some are better kept inward and not expressed.

When I am tempted to assign a descriptive name to any person I encounter, I remind myself of Camino Rule One - to wit - "Every pilgrim has the right to walk their own Camino, in the manner and style they determine best for their situation. None of us has the right or standing to stand in judgment over that choice."

My view is that as long as they don't intrude on other pilgrim's experiences or personal safety, virtually anything goes. I am reminded that if things get too outlandish - like nude, lewd, or overtly intrusive or abusive pilgrims - the secular authorities will serve as "guardrails."

Hope this helps the dialog. Sorry if I am being overly serious. That's just the way I roll.

Best regards and Buen Camino to all!

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, you and the other Tom both have good input here, and food for thought. I usually enjoy when a little humor is tossed into threads at times, but if at the cost of offending the person on the other end, we need to think twice.
With that thought, I'm editing one of my mine on this thread.

When I walked it seemed where you were from became your nickname. I was called Seattle, because I am from near there. I tried to give myself a nickname but it did not stick. My pack was way too heavy and then I saw the Toro Loco bull in Pamplona. I thought Toro Loco was an appropriate nickname. ;-)

Attachments

• 0ToroLoco.JPG
    0ToroLoco.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A couple of musings...

...insulting nicknames were used in one of my professional capacities. Always bestowed by others; usually life long and commemorative of a true screw up. I managed to avoid those.

...descriptive nicknames were/ are used in another of my professional capacities to discuss the patient without violating privacy.

I don't like exchanging names on pilgrimage. My given names are hard to spell and pronounce, and my memory for names is legendarily bad. "Virginia" was accidentally earned on the Primitivo, and I'm fine with it. I may see if I can keep it on the Ingles in 2025... ;)

I'm with Tom on this, although I recognise and enjoy the ease and camaraderie of people from "direct" cultures and somewhat envy the innocent enthusiasm with which they nickname others. They mean no harm and create much joy.

But there are cultures in which to become aware that one has been so labelled might be a source of great hurt and shame and humiliation. Mine is one. I only use nicknames that are affirmative. If I confer or use a name it's intended to give joy to the person when he or she hears it.

I never give anyone my true name, the one used by family and close friends. I have a quotidian name for daily use. In my culture words have magical power to bless or curse, and names above all.

There are times I wish I'd been born in a more direct culture, but sure what can you do? You have to start where you are.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm with Tom on this, although I recognise and enjoy the ease and camaraderie of people from "direct" cultures and somewhat envy the innocent enthusiasm with which they nickname others. They mean no harm and create much joy.

But there are cultures in which to become aware that one has been so labelled might be a source of great hurt and shame and humiliation. Mine is one. I only use nicknames that are affirmative. If I confer or use a name it's intended to give joy to the person when he or she hears it.

I never give anyone my true name, the one used by family and close friends. I have a quotidian name for daily use. In my culture words have magical power to bless or curse, and names above all.

There are times I wish I'd been born in a more direct culture, but sure what can you do? You have to start where you are.
Me; Eric the bike; Molly doesn't; Sands, and Mike Stand all appreciate where you're coming from. I had to gulp before I told @Rebekah Scott my true name. But I'd looked her in the eye and knew she was a friend. Little Dog has her true name that she will always respond to but thats between us and no others

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think we’re in danger of policing language from different cultural perspectives.

I have a good friend ‘Daganham’ (because he’s three stops beyond Barking (mad); which requires you to have some knowledge of the London Tube map). I’m commonly known as ‘Rupert’, because I was a long time ago an army officer and therefore considered (incorrectly) to be posh. My close associates Fatso (virtually skeletal); Brains (inaccurate) and Weewee ( who wet himself at primary school sixty years ago - it’s a small community) all seem reconciled to their epithets.

Edit: early in my career I was introduced to a senior and highly respected financier in London, known to all as ‘the coward’. He had won the Military Cross in the Second World War, which they didn’t hand out with the rations. Problem was, his brother was awarded the Victoria Cross; which required an often suicidal degree of bravery.

Context is everything.

Last edited:

I just looked up Gerard. “It’s composed of two elements that mean spear and brave, hardy or strong.

Griffin is a mythical creature.

Did you pick these names by happenstance or much involved thought?

Last edited:
Cliques? I started the thread and certainly had nothing of that sort in mind.
I had a similar reaction, not to your initial post but to many of the responses. Your post certainly captured the affection and camaraderie, but many of the responses seemed to focus on nicknames which just accentuated how much their fellow, nicknamed, pilgrims were disliked. A little depressing for me and I can see how it might be concerning to someone planning their first Camino.

In my experience, when we don't know or remember a fellow pilgrim's name (a not infrequent occurrence), nationality is usually the first go-to. If that becomes to ambiguous, you might say "the tall Italian" or something like that. Of course, you get the occasional "the fellow walking with his dog". Rarely, if ever, have I ever heard the "OMG we really don't like this guy" nicknames that pepper the discussion above (perhaps because, as the recipient, they were never used to my face).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked with a man from Romania who was so kind and nice to fellow pilgrims I emailed my wife that I thought I was walking with Jesus. No disrespect intended. Later on I walked for a few hours with a man who was kind of dressed like and really looked like Santiago himself. Big gruffy beard, booming Spanish voice. Turned out he was a retired U.S. Air Force General. Buen Camino

Naughty but nice 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One was our “Shadow,” another “Lavender Boy” (he handed out sprigs of dried lavender and, play on words, we ran in to him twice in regard to laundry ~ once at a lavandería and again at a restaurant where he asked us to make change for the laundromat)

I just looked up Gerard. “It’s composed of two elements that mean spear and brave, hardy or strong.

Griffin is a mythical creature.

Did you pick these names by happenstance ot much involved thought?

Neither, as it happens, I had nothing to do with it at all at all. It came about as follows:

It's a long story and reflects the universal experience of cultures in transition from pre-modernity.

For example, names such as Baker, Fletcher, Thatcher, Skinner etc were given to the Ango-Saxons enslaved by the Normans following the 11th century conquest of England After a while their old names were forgotten, as of course was the intention.

The name I have and use is on my passport. My first name (we used to call this the "Christian" name) derives from my pious mother's habit of giving her many children names according to the feast day of the saint closest to their day of birth. St Gerard Majella in my case. Thank God it wasn't Basil.

My surname ("family" name it used to be) was given to my grandfather by a civil servant, according to a list of tribal name equivalents. He had managed to get his hands on a government job (forbidden to such as he for the previous 250 years). They told him that they couldn't pay him in the name the family had been using for a couple of thousand years. We've used it since.

I use both names to live in the world. I speak my language but none of my children do, nor do they follow my religion. So it goes. Such is life. What's in a name? Nothing. Everything.

I named a young couple in their '20s, "Romeo and Juliet," - ultimately to their faces. Three seasoned adults watched their romance evolve from a typical first chance meeting in the Pyrenees to red roses on packs and shared accommodation long before Santiago. While their relationship did not last the long, long haul once home in the USA, it was a pleasure and an honour to watch the subtleties of love unfold before our eyes in real time—a treasured memory.

Reminding me of the controversy of nicknames, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." It is what it is.

A nickname (familiar and humourous by definition) distinguishes us from one another: the snowflakes that we are - and bonds us to them and our Caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Neither, as it happens, I had nothing to do with it at all at all. It came about as follows:

It's a long story and reflects the universal experience of cultures in transition from pre-modernity.

For example, names such as Baker, Fletcher, Thatcher, Skinner etc were given to the Ango-Saxons enslaved by the Normans following the 11th century conquest of England After a while their old names were forgotten, as of course was the intention.

The name I have and use is on my passport. My first name (we used to call this the "Christian" name) derives from my pious mother's habit of giving her many children names according to the feast day of the saint closest to their day of birth. St Gerard Majella in my case. Thank God it wasn't Basil.

My surname ("family" name it used to be) was given to my grandfather by a civil servant, according to a list of tribal name equivalents. He had managed to get his hands on a government job (forbidden to such as he for the previous 250 years). They told him that they couldn't pay him in the name the family had been using for a couple of thousand years. We've used it since.

I use both names to live in the world. I speak my language but none of my children do, nor do they follow my religion. So it goes. Such is life. What's in a name? Nothing. Everything.
I had, until the Old Guys called him back, a good friend Nicky Smith. One of the Kentish Smiths. A long established tribe. He told with relish his grandfather’s tale of arriving at Dover one suitably Dickensian night. “Name?” Said the Customs Officer. “Smith” said the old boy. “That’s not what it says here.” Said customs waving the old boys laissez-passer. “Well, what does it say?” The old man asked. “I can’t pronounce that” said customs, pointing at a random assortment of letters. “I can” said Nicky’s grandpa, “it’s, Smith.”

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that @ShoshTrvls is talking about people who you often see on the trail, but never actually meet and exchange names with.
Yes, exactly. And the nicknames I mentioned were for easy reference more than anything else —

“Look, the Dog Walkers are ahead.”

“The FaceTimers must have gotten an early start, haven’t seen them all day.”

“That looks like the Foursome’s poles, I guess we’re staying at the same hostal.”

That sort of thing.

Last edited:
I nicknamed someone “Vow of Silence” because he was taking a vow of silence while walking the Camino. Turns out he’s a radio host so he spends most his life talking. I had a sweet moment with him at Cruz de Ferro, obviously in silence. I was crying and he offered me some almonds. I ended up reaching out to him a few months later and we talked on the phone!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Caring for each other is for me what the Camino is really about. A nickname can be remembered with joy or with shame. Our fellow pilgrims have blisters on mind as well as feet, as do we all. If the chap with the MC mentioned above had really been a coward of course his mates would never have called him such. "Truth" hurts and if it does let's have nothing to do with it. Exclusion hurts also. Sorry to preach but I feel I must.

My daughter and I tended to refer to people between ourselves according to their nationality. There was Philipino who we met on our first day, came across on and off, then met on our last day just out of Santiago. Big yankee guy was a colorful presence and our favourite, Asia lady. She did not speak English unfortunately. She was very graceful and had a bag which she sometimes wheeled and sometimes wore on her back. We progressed from smiling and nodding when we met at the beginning to hugging towards the end. She always made us feel happy. I would love to have known how she came to be doing the Camino.

We had lots of names for fellow walkers along the way, most playful/affectionate in nature " the Tall Ones", the Irish Girls", Brothers Grimm, California, Smoking Siska, Mooch, Stinky Guy. I dont think we ever called them their assigned names, it was reference between myself and my walking companions..." Oh look! There's the Tall Ones"
I found out I had been given the name " Cruz Rosa" ( likely because I'm a nurse, travel with huge supply of first aid, and have fixed hundred of blisters, scrapes from falls, ear/eye/tooth problems, stitches, pain....) I'm good with that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Camino, I was almost immediately named "Texas". Texas flag Buff and a bit of an accent ;) Simple signs.

After 3 weeks on the AT, I got the trail-name "Walkie-Talkie". I didnt pick it, but don't deny it... When I met up with my Camino friend for a weekend on AT trail with me, he immediately agreed it was perfect fit.
The names I remember most from the Camino were the night names, "Chainsaw", "Moaner", "Blubber" all easy to understand and they earned them!

There was a Spanish fellow walking with his wife who spoke limited English, but always said hello and asked how I was doing, and we managed to have short pleasant conversations fairly regularly for a couple weeks? on the CF in the early fall of 2022. We called him Mr. White because he looked exactly like Walter White from Breaking Bad.
A group from the US had a nickname for me. We met when chatting at a rest stop nearly a month after the umbrella I’d customized my backpack for, and painted with a Camino shell on it, had been broken by Air France in transit from Vancouver to SJPdP. I paid the shoemaker‘s wife about 15€ to try to fix it for me in SJPdP. I pulled it out to use it for the first time, to protect me from the 37C blazing sun about 3 or 4 days into my journey, wherein it was promptly destroyed by the wind in less than 10 minutes! I was chatting with the group from Kentucky? and after we introduced ourselves they asked “are you the woman with the umbrella?” After I told them the saga of its’ destiny not to make the journey, they asked if they could use my name in their book, or if they should refer to me as “the woman from Vancouver “? I chose the latter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2018 I passed a young man dressed all in white with bare feet and an ethereal presence .. he was thoughtfully picking and eating roadside berries on the Way down into Zubiri while smiling gently to himself. I didn’t see a back pack . Later several of us discussed the Korean Angel we had all passed that day. We all knew immediately we had seen someone special .

I've always liked the way people become Camino legends. People ask you "Have you met Miss Oklahoma?" "Seen the Frog Guy yet?" "How about the Pilot with the Umbrella?". Everybody knew him, a fun guy and a truly epic drinker by all accounts.

You hear of the Legend first, then one day you meet them in a cafe or an albergue. I finally met the Pilot with the Umbrella in San Juan de Ortega and it felt like finally nabbing a leprechaun or catching the Zen Ox. I was on my way to Burgos but I never made it, it was a great night.

Nicknames and Legends are part of the fun and of course there are the other legends, hospitaleros, the Peaceable Kingdom ... The Camino Angels.

I don't want to throw cold water on the nicknaming fun of the Camino, but I met and got to know a pilgrim once who had a nickname that hurt him quite deeply when he found out about it and in his name I remind people always to be generous and kind in word, even in thought.
Sorry to preach. I feel that I owe it to him although we never met again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My brother and I were "the Old Guys" among the group of younger people we kept encountering for dinners. A badge we wore with honor.
I've been called Old Man Reynolds by a spirited group of twenty/thirty somethings. Thing is, I could walk circles around ALL of them. They are probably my most memorable "forever friends" met to date.

I have no idea what I might have been doing on my dozen Caminos that I did not run into much nick-naming.
I agree. I think this is why there was an earlier reference to cliques. This kind of jovial name-calling mostly happens within groups, either among themselves or as a shared reference to others. The sharing of insider knowledge is part of the fun. We all indulge sometimes (maybe only with a walking partner), and need to be sensitive to feelings when we talk about others.

In any case, nicknaming is not a big feature on the Camino, especially for people who don't get too involved in "Camino families". I supposed we are the ones who get labelled by those in the family groups, and may never know it.

€83,-
I have been called the Camino Nerd, a nickname that I carry proudly. 😊
Years ago my wondeful Primitivo family decided I shared mannerisms and expressions with a certain Mr Bean. I put this down to these Basque, Catalan and Italian folks not having much exposure to English people. But once typecast as such I felt sufficiently liberated to displace a little of my back-home reserve with some of my newly found identity..

Oh boy, we had A LOT of nicknames for people we didn't yet know! It was never mean, but simply a means to reference someone.

Okay, there was one mean one; sitting at dinner in Viana, the nearby table of British pilgrims were subjected, for the entire dinner, to a lecture from a man who apparently was THE EXPERT on everything about everything. He kept starting his incredulously condescending replies to questions from Tom by saying; "Now Tom... " and then admonish and attempt to put Tom down for some point of view that he disagreed. The impression was that poor Tom simply wasn't smart enough to understand the point he was making. At one point a perigrina at the table abruptly stood up, told him to shut up and quickly walked out the door.

We called him "Now Tom" for the rest of the Camino.

I passed a young man dressed all in white with bare feet and an ethereal presence

We had a very similar experience between Los Arcos and Viana. This young man in a pair of beige chinos with threads hanging from a rough cut at the ankle, a simple red jacket, sandals and a beaten and tore straw hat upon his head. He only had a small day bag. He walked like he wasn't even touching the ground and gave this aura of complete calm and serenity. I remember telling my wife later that if Jesus Christ was like this young man, I could see why people wanted to follow him.

We referred a woman as Clonker because at Manilla de las Mulas albergue (where boots were to be left outside the dormitory) she kept them on while walking (clonking) from the door to her bunk, to the bathroom, to her bunk, and repeat late at night. In Santiago de Compostela we met her at dinner one night - but did not reveal her nickname - her real name was Astrid (from Germany).

My brother and I were "the Old Guys" among the group of younger people we kept encountering for dinners. A badge we wore with honor.
This reminded me of some nicknames that are not camino related but are Spanish related.

Two younger Columbian women coworkers addressed me as Viejito, an affectionate form of Old Man. Shortly after remembering that I thought "Gawd, what would I be called now, twenty years on?".

At another place I would occasionally call my pal Alex, a Dominican immigrant, "Mex". It was partly to taunt him with a different nationality but mainly to tease him for his signature where the "A" and the "l" looked like a capital "M". (Alex immigrated in his twenties but spoke English so well I took him as native born for years.)

“Seek that which is above.” While not Catholic, I treasure Pope Benedict XVI’s book of that name. Feelings become thoughts, and thoughts become words. Properly used, they are a source of joy, not shame. I smile at many stories on this thread - and appreciate the wisdom of looking above and being kind.

(P.S. So many historic figures have striking nicknames of their own, including Saint James himself, given by Christ and then others over the centuries. I wonder how they felt about their nicknames. It's possibly uncomfortable to think about, in their shoes, but if you can trust in a heart's goodness, perhaps it makes a difference?)

€83,-
There was one peregrino who looked exactly like Jesus, and that’s how my companions and I referred to him. He seemed always to be surrounded by his disciples.

Last edited:

€83,-
I walked the CF in September-October 2021. When crossing paths with other pilgrims I always wished them a Buen Camino and continued on.
I cannot remember the many times when a fellow pilgrim did not wish me a Buen Camino but would instead would walk directly up to me and ask, "how old are you?"
When I replied 79 they usually replied something like Oh and moved on.
I've often wondered what others called me when I wasn't near them.

I cannot remember the many times when a fellow pilgrim did not wish me a Buen Camino but would instead would walk directly up to me and ask, "how old are you?"
That's odd and rude!
When I replied 79 they usually replied something like Oh and moved on.
I've often wondered what others called me when I wasn't near them.
Probably they were thinking "I hope that I can still walk the Camino when I'm 79!"
At least that's what I'd be thinking. 😊

I agree with @trecile and thought the exact same thing...how rude! And then to walk away without another word...double rude!!
It’s perfectly natural in many parts of the world to ask ‘how old are you’, are you single, why do you travel alone, why do you not have a wife, etc… (and maybe a need to make allowances for those cultures) but I am guessing that these ‘askers’ are not from those parts of the world so yes rude and no need to reply!

Last edited:
It’s perfectly natural in many parts of the world to ask ‘how old are you’, are you single, why do you travel alone, why do you not have a wife, etc… (and maybe a need to make allowances for those cultures) but I am guessing that these ‘askers’ are not from those parts of the world so yes rude and no need to reply!
I understand that. My son taught English in South Korea for a couple of years, and he said it was very important to know one's age, as a lot was dependent on age, seniority etc. - how you addressed someone, but especially who was expected to pay the bill at the restaurant!

But, as you said it's probably more nosiness if asked this question on the Camino.

Ok, doesn't Santiago mean something like "thunder cloud" or something like that?
Not quite. The name "Santiago" is ultimately derived from the Spanish for "saint" and the Hebrew personal name Ya'akov (Jacob) but he is more commonly called James in English. In the New Testament James and his brother John were collectively nicknamed "the Sons of Thunder" - Boanerges.

Camino Queen, who had the hospitalero at her beck and call. Also spent 45 minutes arranging and rearranging her suitcase when she arrived, flipped the lights on at 6 a.m. to again rearrange her suitcase. Never saw her again.

Lonesome Jim, who wound up walking with us for a couple of days, but had to ditch him because he nattered on and on about whatever.

Matrimonial Couple, newlyweds who were on their honeymoon, we think. Like get a room, already.

Mr. Burpy, who, surprise, surprise, burped a lot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had Loudmouth, an American chap who was fond of telling everyone in earshot how fabulous he was and how experienced in Camino walks, that is when he wasn't playing Bon Jovi on his boom box; and Moaning Minnie, an Australian lady who simply couldn't bear to allow that anything was other than horrible.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.